Disable saving local copies of web pages

Ioannis

I have a couple of web pages on my site which contain copyrighted jpg's.
Is there anyway to insert code that disables local saving of those pages and
of the jpg's contained therein?

Thanks much in advance,

Travis Newbury

Ioannis said:
I have a couple of web pages on my site which contain copyrighted jpg's.
Is there anyway to insert code that disables local saving of those pages and
of the jpg's contained therein?

No

Barbara de Zoete

I have a couple of web pages on my site which contain copyrighted jpg's.
Is there anyway to insert code that disables local saving of those pages and
of the jpg's contained therein?

Now, how are you going to be able to avoid the systems and browsers cache, you
think? The whole idea of presenting a webpage (and all that is in there) is that
you serve it out to a client. The client takes care of the rendering. To be able
to do that, it needs to cache what ever you serve out.
Or what about a local copy on a proxy server? Besides, one is likely to be
allowed to have a copy for personal use (not for distribution). Moreover, any
clever visitor _will_ get his/her hands on a local copy of your content, if s/he
wishes to have one. No matter how well you protect your stuff.

So, either don't publish. Or publish, possibly put a copy right notice on you
pages, and accept that the whole construct of publishing on the world wide web
involves both servers and client to do their bit.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Ioannis said:

That sounds interesting

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)

SpaceGirl

Ioannis

Ï "Greg N. said:
I think you found something, but you did not find "it" because "it" does
not exist.

Thank you, for this *VERY IMPORTANT* correction.

[snip]

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Ioannis said:
Thank you, for this *VERY IMPORTANT* correction.

That sort of sounds like you're upset at the response. Truly, nothing at
that link will work. Go ahead, give them all a try, supply the URL, and
I will email you the image file.

From your sig:
Eventually, _everything_ is understandable

...even that trying to keep images from being copied is impossible. The
bottom line: don't try any of those tricks that make you look like an
amateur and only serve to annoy your visitors.

Ioannis

Ï "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <[email protected]> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
[snip]
That sort of sounds like you're upset at the response. Truly, nothing at
that link will work. Go ahead, give them all a try, supply the URL, and
I will email you the image file.

No need. I agree about those tricks (eventually) not working.

I was just being a little sarcastic with his correcting my wording all of
this "it" vs "something".
From your sig:

..even that trying to keep images from being copied is impossible. The
bottom line: don't try any of those tricks that make you look like an
amateur and only serve to annoy your visitors.

Let me be the judge of that. I already have spotted instances of people
hijacking sub-pages of mine and I can do nothing about it.

Compare my original page:

http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/jgal/spectroscope/Hg.html

with:

http://www.dlr.de/jupex/spectograph/internet/hg.html

which is linked from:

http://www.dlr.de/jupex/spectograph/ju_spectr_ml.html

(first link on the bottom)

I explicitly state in my copyright sub-page that reproduction and copying of
my web-pages locally is forbidden. The author has ignored this copyright
notice, and although he explicitly states the link after the comma and has
inserted the line:

<!-- This document saved from
http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/jgal/spectroscope/Hg.html -->

at the end of the page, he has altered the page's code (removed the counter
script), so my statistics count of this page are not accurate. I have
emailed the person responsible, only to receive no response.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, SpaceGirl quothed:
As one of the posters said, doesn't work in anything except IE. And
there are MANY millions of people not using IE.

Just want to add to what you said that as people find out their
functionality is being/capable of being limited (or compromised,
altered, circumvented, whatever) in IE moreso than other browsers, how
long do you think they are going to continue to use IE? Although by no
means the first to do so, Microsoft has found the formula for
extinction.

Hywel Jenkins

None of that information is useful. My browser doesn't have an image
toolbar - I can just right-click on your images and copy/save them.

Your no-right-click script doesn't work because my Developer's Toolbar
enables me to turn off scripting at the click of a button.

The transparent GIF idea doesn't work because the image is in my cache,
and I've got ALT+PRTSCRN to capture the image.

The code encryption this is hilariously funny and trivial to beat that
it's not even in GSCEs anymore.

Macromedia Flash won't help because I can still capture the image.

You're wasting your time. Post your "protected" images and someone here
will post copies of them to another URL for you.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Ioannis said:
Ï "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <[email protected]> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
[snip]
That sort of sounds like you're upset at the response. Truly, nothing at
that link will work. Go ahead, give them all a try, supply the URL, and
I will email you the image file.

No need. I agree about those tricks (eventually) not working.

I was just being a little sarcastic with his correcting my wording all of
this "it" vs "something".
From your sig:

..even that trying to keep images from being copied is impossible. The
bottom line: don't try any of those tricks that make you look like an
amateur and only serve to annoy your visitors.

Let me be the judge of that. I already have spotted instances of people
hijacking sub-pages of mine and I can do nothing about it.
<snip>

About the only thing you can do is call your lawyer...

Last year I found a couple of humerous paragraphs from one of my sites
word-for-word on a similar-subject site. I emailed the guy, who
responded that he wrote it in 2002. I emailed back a link to my page
from the Wayback Machine from 1998. He promptly reworded his site.

Perhaps something similar, along with the lawyer bit, might work for
you.

Marc

Neredbojias said:
Just want to add to what you said that as people find out their
functionality is being/capable of being limited (or compromised,
altered, circumvented, whatever) in IE moreso than other browsers, how
long do you think they are going to continue to use IE? Although by no
means the first to do so, Microsoft has found the formula for
extinction.

Are you suggesting that the limiting of the functionality of IE could be
a factor in user's switching to other browsers? I find that hard to
believe if so...

Correct me if I have misunderstood.

Marc

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Marc quothed:
Are you suggesting that the limiting of the functionality of IE could be
a factor in user's switching to other browsers? I find that hard to
believe if so...

Correct me if I have misunderstood.

That is exactly what I am so suggesting. There's just something about
Microsoft which brings out the suggestiveness in me. Perhaps it's their
name. -Has the flavor of a light porn clip with teenage nuances.

Marc

Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, Marc quothed:

That is exactly what I am so suggesting. There's just something about
Microsoft which brings out the suggestiveness in me. Perhaps it's their
name. -Has the flavor of a light porn clip with teenage nuances.

LMAO @ "light porn clip with teenage nuances"

Seriously, I don't see how removing functions from the user's browser
could persuade them to change to a different browser. I'd estimate over
50% of the Internet's users wouldn't even notice the feature(s) were
missing and don't know that there are alternatives to Internet Exploder,
so I can't see how they'd ponder changing browser.

Marc

JDS

I'd estimate over
50% of the Internet's users wouldn't even notice the feature(s) were
missing and don't know that there are alternatives to Internet Exploder,
so I can't see how they'd ponder changing browser.

Exactly right. And those that do realize have already switched to Opera.
Or Firedoodie. Or whatever.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Marc quothed:
LMAO @ "light porn clip with teenage nuances"

Seriously, I don't see how removing functions from the user's browser
could persuade them to change to a different browser. I'd estimate over
50% of the Internet's users wouldn't even notice the feature(s) were
missing and don't know that there are alternatives to Internet Exploder,
so I can't see how they'd ponder changing browser.

You could have a 90% probability of being right now, but as time goes on
and the average Joe/Josephine/Jomaphrodite become more internet-
familiar, both those percentages will go down. If I showed 100 people
how Opera resized graphics (particularly) as opposed to the standard
browser resizing methods, surely all of them would want the same
improved functionality. You can't stop progress even if you're the
manufacturer.