    I. N. Galidakis
    http://ioannis.virtualcomposer2000.com/
    Eventually, _everything_ is understandable
    Ioannis, Oct 3, 2005

  2. Ioannis wrote:
    > I have a couple of web pages on my site which contain copyrighted jpg's.
    > Is there anyway to insert code that disables local saving of those pages and
    > of the jpg's contained therein?

    No

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Oct 3, 2005

  3. On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 18:44:10 +0200, Ioannis <> wrote:

    > I have a couple of web pages on my site which contain copyrighted jpg's.
    > Is there anyway to insert code that disables local saving of those pages and
    > of the jpg's contained therein?

    Now, how are you going to be able to avoid the systems and browsers cache, you
    think? The whole idea of presenting a webpage (and all that is in there) is that
    you serve it out to a client. The client takes care of the rendering. To be able
    to do that, it needs to cache what ever you serve out.
    Or what about a local copy on a proxy server? Besides, one is likely to be
    allowed to have a copy for personal use (not for distribution). Moreover, any
    clever visitor _will_ get his/her hands on a local copy of your content, if s/he
    wishes to have one. No matter how well you protect your stuff.

    So, either don't publish. Or publish, possibly put a copy right notice on you
    pages, and accept that the whole construct of publishing on the world wide web
    involves both servers and client to do their bit.

    Barbara de Zoete, Oct 3, 2005
  4. Ioannis

    Ioannis Guest

    Ioannis, Oct 3, 2005
  5. "Ioannis" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Ο "Ioannis" <> έγÏαψε στο μήνυμα
    > >
    > > I have a couple of web pages on my site which contain copyrighted jpg's.
    > > Is there anyway to insert code that disables local saving of those pages

    > and
    > > of the jpg's contained therein?
    > >
    > > Thanks much in advance,

    > Never mind. I found it:
    > http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=41

    That sounds interesting

    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    (sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Oct 3, 2005
  6. Ioannis

    Greg N. Guest

    Ioannis wrote:

    > Never mind. I found it:
    > http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=41

    I think you found something, but you did not find "it" because "it" does
    not exist.

    Just read the last sentence on that page:

    "However, the bottom line is that as long as you can see it on your
    monitor, there's a way to capture it."

    And the easiest way is to use Firefox. None of the stuff described on
    that site has any effect on FF.

    --
    Gregor's Motorradreisen:
    http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/
    Greg N., Oct 3, 2005
  7. Ioannis

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Ioannis wrote:
    > Ï "Ioannis" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
    >
    >>I have a couple of web pages on my site which contain copyrighted jpg's.
    >>Is there anyway to insert code that disables local saving of those pages

    > and
    >
    >>of the jpg's contained therein?
    >>
    >>Thanks much in advance,

    > Never mind. I found it:
    > http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=41

    As one of the posters said, doesn't work in anything except IE. And
    there are MANY millions of people not using IE.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    # this post (c) Miranda Thomas 2005
    # explicitly no permission given to Forum4Designers
    # to duplicate this post.
    SpaceGirl, Oct 3, 2005
  8. Ioannis

    Ioannis Guest

    Ioannis, Oct 3, 2005
  9. Ioannis wrote:

    > Ï "Greg N." <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
    >>
    >> Ioannis wrote:
    >>
    >>> Never mind. I found it:
    >>> http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=41

    >> I think you found something, but you did not find "it" because "it" does
    >> not exist.

    > Thank you, for this *VERY IMPORTANT* correction.

    That sort of sounds like you're upset at the response. Truly, nothing at
    that link will work. Go ahead, give them all a try, supply the URL, and
    I will email you the image file.

    From your sig:
    > Eventually, _everything_ is understandable

    ...even that trying to keep images from being copied is impossible. The
    bottom line: don't try any of those tricks that make you look like an
    amateur and only serve to annoy your visitors.

    --
    -bts
    -When motorcycling, never follow a pig truck
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 3, 2005
  10. Ioannis

    Ioannis Guest

    Ï "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
    [snip]

    > >> I think you found something, but you did not find "it" because "it"

    does
    > >> not exist.

    > > Thank you, for this *VERY IMPORTANT* correction.

    > That sort of sounds like you're upset at the response. Truly, nothing at
    > that link will work. Go ahead, give them all a try, supply the URL, and
    > I will email you the image file.

    No need. I agree about those tricks (eventually) not working.

    I was just being a little sarcastic with his correcting my wording all of
    this "it" vs "something".

    > From your sig:
    > > Eventually, _everything_ is understandable

    > ..even that trying to keep images from being copied is impossible. The
    > bottom line: don't try any of those tricks that make you look like an
    > amateur and only serve to annoy your visitors.

    Let me be the judge of that. I already have spotted instances of people
    hijacking sub-pages of mine and I can do nothing about it.

    Compare my original page:

    http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/jgal/spectroscope/Hg.html

    with:

    http://www.dlr.de/jupex/spectograph/internet/hg.html

    which is linked from:

    http://www.dlr.de/jupex/spectograph/ju_spectr_ml.html

    (first link on the bottom)

    I explicitly state in my copyright sub-page that reproduction and copying of
    my web-pages locally is forbidden. The author has ignored this copyright
    notice, and although he explicitly states the link after the comma and has
    inserted the line:

    <!-- This document saved from
    http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/jgal/spectroscope/Hg.html -->

    at the end of the page, he has altered the page's code (removed the counter
    script), so my statistics count of this page are not accurate. I have
    emailed the person responsible, only to receive no response.

    Ioannis, Oct 3, 2005
  11. Ioannis

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, SpaceGirl quothed:

    > Ioannis wrote:
    > > Ï "Ioannis" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
    > >
    > >>I have a couple of web pages on my site which contain copyrighted jpg's.
    > >>Is there anyway to insert code that disables local saving of those pages

    > > and
    > >
    > >>of the jpg's contained therein?
    > >>
    > >>Thanks much in advance,

    > > Never mind. I found it:
    > > http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=41

    > As one of the posters said, doesn't work in anything except IE. And
    > there are MANY millions of people not using IE.

    Just want to add to what you said that as people find out their
    functionality is being/capable of being limited (or compromised,
    altered, circumvented, whatever) in IE moreso than other browsers, how
    long do you think they are going to continue to use IE? Although by no
    means the first to do so, Microsoft has found the formula for
    extinction.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Oct 3, 2005
  12. In article <1128358805.62716@athnrd02>, says...
    > Ï "Ioannis" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
    > >
    > > I have a couple of web pages on my site which contain copyrighted jpg's..
    > > Is there anyway to insert code that disables local saving of those pages

    > and
    > > of the jpg's contained therein?
    > >
    > > Thanks much in advance,

    > Never mind. I found it:
    > http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=41

    None of that information is useful. My browser doesn't have an image
    toolbar - I can just right-click on your images and copy/save them.

    Your no-right-click script doesn't work because my Developer's Toolbar
    enables me to turn off scripting at the click of a button.

    The transparent GIF idea doesn't work because the image is in my cache,
    and I've got ALT+PRTSCRN to capture the image.

    The code encryption this is hilariously funny and trivial to beat that
    it's not even in GSCEs anymore.

    Macromedia Flash won't help because I can still capture the image.

    You're wasting your time. Post your "protected" images and someone here
    will post copies of them to another URL for you.

    --

    Hywel
    http://kibo.org.uk/
    Hywel Jenkins, Oct 3, 2005
  13. Ioannis wrote:

    > Ï "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
    > [snip]

    > does
    >>>
    >>> Thank you, for this *VERY IMPORTANT* correction.

    >> That sort of sounds like you're upset at the response. Truly, nothing at
    >> that link will work. Go ahead, give them all a try, supply the URL, and
    >> I will email you the image file.

    > No need. I agree about those tricks (eventually) not working.
    >
    > I was just being a little sarcastic with his correcting my wording all of
    > this "it" vs "something".

    <g>

    >> From your sig:
    >>> Eventually, _everything_ is understandable

    >> ..even that trying to keep images from being copied is impossible. The
    >> bottom line: don't try any of those tricks that make you look like an
    >> amateur and only serve to annoy your visitors.

    > Let me be the judge of that. I already have spotted instances of people
    > hijacking sub-pages of mine and I can do nothing about it.

    <snip>

    About the only thing you can do is call your lawyer...

    Last year I found a couple of humerous paragraphs from one of my sites
    word-for-word on a similar-subject site. I emailed the guy, who
    responded that he wrote it in 2002. I emailed back a link to my page
    from the Wayback Machine from 1998. He promptly reworded his site.

    Perhaps something similar, along with the lawyer bit, might work for
    you.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 3, 2005
  14. Ioannis

    Marc Guest

    Neredbojias wrote:
    > Just want to add to what you said that as people find out their
    > functionality is being/capable of being limited (or compromised,
    > altered, circumvented, whatever) in IE moreso than other browsers, how
    > long do you think they are going to continue to use IE? Although by no
    > means the first to do so, Microsoft has found the formula for
    > extinction.

    Are you suggesting that the limiting of the functionality of IE could be
    a factor in user's switching to other browsers? I find that hard to
    believe if so...

    Correct me if I have misunderstood.

    Marc
    Marc, Oct 4, 2005
  15. Ioannis

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Marc quothed:

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    > > Just want to add to what you said that as people find out their
    > > functionality is being/capable of being limited (or compromised,
    > > altered, circumvented, whatever) in IE moreso than other browsers, how
    > > long do you think they are going to continue to use IE? Although by no
    > > means the first to do so, Microsoft has found the formula for
    > > extinction.

    > Are you suggesting that the limiting of the functionality of IE could be
    > a factor in user's switching to other browsers? I find that hard to
    > believe if so...
    >
    > Correct me if I have misunderstood.

    That is exactly what I am so suggesting. There's just something about
    Microsoft which brings out the suggestiveness in me. Perhaps it's their
    name. -Has the flavor of a light porn clip with teenage nuances.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Oct 4, 2005
  16. Ioannis

    Marc Guest

    Neredbojias wrote:
    > With neither quill nor qualm, Marc quothed:
    >>Are you suggesting that the limiting of the functionality of IE could be
    >>a factor in user's switching to other browsers? I find that hard to
    >>believe if so...

    > That is exactly what I am so suggesting. There's just something about
    > Microsoft which brings out the suggestiveness in me. Perhaps it's their
    > name. -Has the flavor of a light porn clip with teenage nuances.

    LMAO @ "light porn clip with teenage nuances"

    Seriously, I don't see how removing functions from the user's browser
    could persuade them to change to a different browser. I'd estimate over
    50% of the Internet's users wouldn't even notice the feature(s) were
    missing and don't know that there are alternatives to Internet Exploder,
    so I can't see how they'd ponder changing browser.

    Marc
    Marc, Oct 4, 2005
  17. Ioannis

    JDS Guest

    On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 15:26:22 +0100, Marc wrote:

    > I'd estimate over
    > 50% of the Internet's users wouldn't even notice the feature(s) were
    > missing and don't know that there are alternatives to Internet Exploder,
    > so I can't see how they'd ponder changing browser.

    Exactly right. And those that do realize have already switched to Opera.
    Or Firedoodie. Or whatever.

    --
    JDS | lid
    JDS, Oct 4, 2005
  18. Ioannis

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Marc quothed:

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    > > With neither quill nor qualm, Marc quothed:
    > >>Are you suggesting that the limiting of the functionality of IE could be
    > >>a factor in user's switching to other browsers? I find that hard to
    > >>believe if so...

    > > That is exactly what I am so suggesting. There's just something about
    > > Microsoft which brings out the suggestiveness in me. Perhaps it's their
    > > name. -Has the flavor of a light porn clip with teenage nuances.

    > LMAO @ "light porn clip with teenage nuances"
    >
    > Seriously, I don't see how removing functions from the user's browser
    > could persuade them to change to a different browser. I'd estimate over
    > 50% of the Internet's users wouldn't even notice the feature(s) were
    > missing and don't know that there are alternatives to Internet Exploder,
    > so I can't see how they'd ponder changing browser.

    You could have a 90% probability of being right now, but as time goes on
    and the average Joe/Josephine/Jomaphrodite become more internet-
    familiar, both those percentages will go down. If I showed 100 people
    how Opera resized graphics (particularly) as opposed to the standard
    browser resizing methods, surely all of them would want the same
    improved functionality. You can't stop progress even if you're the
    manufacturer.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Oct 5, 2005