    joy beeson at comcast dot net
    http://www.debeeson.net/joy/
    The above message is a Usenet post.
    Joy Beeson, May 27, 2013

  2. Joy Beeson

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 27 May 2013 12:05:44 -0300, Joy Beeson wrote:

    > I have two copies of the very same file, both copied directly from my
    > primary local copy. When viewed with a browser, this copy
    > http://www.joy.debeeson.net/PAGESEW/HandSew.htm
    > has illustrations, and this copy
    > http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/~roughsewing/HandSew.htm
    > doesn't.
    >
    > WS-FTP says that the directory and all the files are there, and Link
    > checker says that the links to the illustration files work, but
    > Comcast says "not found".

    I'll hazard a guess and say that the images are not in the same folder on
    the comcast page.
    Either post the images to that folder, or link to the images with the full
    url path.
    richard, May 27, 2013

  3. On Mon, 27 May 2013 12:52:57 -0400, richard wrote:

    > On Mon, 27 May 2013 12:05:44 -0300, Joy Beeson wrote:
    >
    >> I have two copies of the very same file, both copied directly from my
    >> primary local copy. When viewed with a browser, this copy
    >> http://www.joy.debeeson.net/PAGESEW/HandSew.htm has illustrations, and
    >> this copy http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/~roughsewing/HandSew.htm
    >> doesn't.
    >>
    >> WS-FTP says that the directory and all the files are there, and Link
    >> checker says that the links to the illustration files work, but Comcast
    >> says "not found".

    > I'll hazard a guess and say that the images are not in the same folder
    > on the comcast page.
    > Either post the images to that folder, or link to the images with the
    > full url path.

    I'd hazard a guess that something unusual is happening on the comcast web
    server.

    I'd base this on the fact that wget sees a 406 not acceptable error when
    I try requesting the pages, which is the first time I've ever seen a 406
    error!

    Using --accept * solved that.

    However, when I try and load the images from the expected locations on
    the comcast server, I get 404 not found responses.

    I think the problem may be in the configuration of the comcast web
    server, so I guess comcast customer support is your next call.

    I wish you luck, convincing them that there's a problem they need to fix
    on their web servers is going to be as tedious as herding cats, and
    possibly less successful - cats get hungry occasionally and are then
    amenable to following the smell of food.

    --
    Denis McMahon,
    Denis McMahon, May 27, 2013
  4. Joy Beeson

    Joy Beeson Guest

    On Mon, 27 May 2013 18:22:42 +0000 (UTC), Denis McMahon
    <> wrote:

    > so I guess comcast customer support is your next call.

    I was afraid that you'd say that. Customer support for "Personal Web
    Pages" wasn't much *before* the existing sites were grandfathered.

    So I guess I'll just add a link to the TIS copy of the page.

    At least Comcast's PWP space is still a good place to stash off-site
    backups of non-sensitive files. (I used one of those back-ups once.)
    Meanwhile, I've become aware that the rest of my pages need to be run
    through a validator. Turns up a lot of typos.

    I still wonder how a validator can detect a mismatch between the
    character declaration and the characters when all the charsets are
    backwards-compatible and there isn't one non-ASCII character in the
    file, but saying "charset=UTF-8" makes it happy. When I get time,
    I'll copy that line to all the other pages.

    --
    Joy Beeson
    Joy Beeson, May 29, 2013
  5. Joy Beeson

    Gus Richter Guest

    On 5/29/2013 11:26 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Joy Beeson wrote:
    >>
    >> I have two copies of the very same file, both copied directly from my
    >> primary local copy. When viewed with a browser, this copy
    >> http://www.joy.debeeson.net/PAGESEW/HandSew.htm
    >> has illustrations, and this copy
    >> http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/~roughsewing/HandSew.htm
    >> doesn't.
    >>
    >> WS-FTP says that the directory and all the files are there, and Link
    >> checker says that the links to the illustration files work, but
    >> Comcast says "not found".
    >>

    > Looking at the source I find links such as
    >
    > http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/~roughsewing/HandSewF/jess1_50.gif
    >
    > Are you sure the images are in the subfolder "HandSewF"?

    That folder does not even exist:

    Gus Richter, May 29, 2013
  6. Joy Beeson

    dorayme Guest

    > > http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/~roughsewing/HandSew.htm

    This should reminds us of a significant difference between how
    browsers handle images specified in the HTML but which cannot be
    found. Some types of browsers, Safari, iCab, Opera, show spaces
    allotted in the HTML, others like Firefox do not.

    This is mirrored by the consequences of of user disabling of images.
    In Safari, if a user disables images, this can result in large gaps
    between the text, whereas in FF, a menu item to do the same, collapses
    the spaces alloted.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, May 29, 2013
  7. On Wed, 29 May 2013 11:26:43 -0400, Ed Mullen wrote:

    > Joy Beeson wrote:

    >> WS-FTP says that the directory and all the files are there, and Link
    >> checker says that the links to the illustration files work, but Comcast
    >> says "not found".

    > Are you sure the images are in the subfolder "HandSewF"?

    I can only refer my colleague to OPs earlier comment regarding this.

    --
    Denis McMahon,
    Denis McMahon, May 29, 2013
  8. On Tue, 28 May 2013 23:31:34 -0300, Joy Beeson wrote:

    > At least Comcast's PWP space is still a good place to stash off-site
    > backups of non-sensitive files. (I used one of those back-ups once.)
    > Meanwhile, I've become aware that the rest of my pages need to be run
    > through a validator. Turns up a lot of typos.

    You could double check that the HandSewF directory has been created and
    contains the image files on the comcast site. It seems that comcast is
    serving up a 404 page for both the individual image files and their
    containing directory when requested directly, normally I'd expect either
    the index file if one is present, or failing that a directory listing or
    a forbidden result when trying to access a dir, not a 404.

    --
    Denis McMahon,
    Denis McMahon, May 29, 2013