do I need "ruby-libs" as a prerequisite to install/run ruby? what is"ruby-libs" exactly?

Greg Hauptmann

If I'm downloading the ruby source to compile on my Redhat linux box, do I
need "ruby-libs" as a prerequisite? I've seen it referred to but not sure
what it is?

If it does exist and I need it, where would I download the source for this
to build it (i.e. before then moving onto Ruby compile itself)?

Greg Hauptmann

2009/2/7 Greg Hauptmann said:
Hi,
If I'm downloading the ruby source to compile on my Redhat linux box, do I
need "ruby-libs" as a prerequisite? I've seen it referred to but not sure
what it is?

If it does exist and I need it, where would I download the source for this
to build it (i.e. before then moving onto Ruby compile itself)?
PS If I just go straight to compiling ruby I do get some "no" coming back
for the initial "./configure". Is this OK? (see results of configure
below)

[root@home ruby-1.8.7-p72]# ./config
config.status configure
[root@home ruby-1.8.7-p72]# ./configure
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
checking whether gcc needs -traditional... no
checking whether the linker is GNU ld... yes
checking whether gcc -E accepts -o... yes
checking for bison... bison -y
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for ar... ar
checking for as... as
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for AIX... no
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking minix/config.h usability... no
checking minix/config.h presence... no
checking for minix/config.h... no
checking for special C compiler options needed for large files... no
checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value needed for large files... 64
checking for long long... yes
checking for off_t... yes
checking for int... yes
checking size of int... 4
checking for short... yes
checking size of short... 2
checking for long... yes
checking size of long... 4
checking for long long... (cached) yes
checking size of long long... 8
checking for __int64... no
checking size of __int64... 0
checking for off_t... (cached) yes
checking size of off_t... 8
checking for void*... yes
checking size of void*... 4
checking for float... yes
checking size of float... 4
checking for double... yes
checking size of double... 8
checking for time_t... yes
checking size of time_t... 4
checking for pid_t... yes
checking for gid_t... yes
checking for uid_t... yes
checking for prototypes... yes
checking token paste string... ansi
checking for variable length prototypes and stdarg.h... yes
checking for noreturn function attribute... __attribute__ ((noreturn)) x
checking for noinline function attribute... __attribute__ ((noinline)) x
checking for RUBY_EXTERN... no
checking whether sys_nerr is declared... yes
checking for crypt in -lcrypt... yes
checking for dlopen in -ldl... yes
checking for shl_load in -ldld... no
checking for dirent.h that defines DIR... yes
checking for library containing opendir... none required
checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) yes
checking for sys/wait.h that is POSIX.1 compatible... yes
checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
checking for string.h... (cached) yes
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking limits.h usability... yes
checking limits.h presence... yes
checking for limits.h... yes
checking sys/file.h usability... yes
checking sys/file.h presence... yes
checking for sys/file.h... yes
checking sys/ioctl.h usability... yes
checking sys/ioctl.h presence... yes
checking for sys/ioctl.h... yes
checking sys/syscall.h usability... yes
checking sys/syscall.h presence... yes
checking for sys/syscall.h... yes
checking fcntl.h usability... yes
checking fcntl.h presence... yes
checking for fcntl.h... yes
checking sys/fcntl.h usability... yes
checking sys/fcntl.h presence... yes
checking for sys/fcntl.h... yes
checking sys/select.h usability... yes
checking sys/select.h presence... yes
checking for sys/select.h... yes
checking sys/time.h usability... yes
checking sys/time.h presence... yes
checking for sys/time.h... yes
checking sys/times.h usability... yes
checking sys/times.h presence... yes
checking for sys/times.h... yes
checking sys/param.h usability... yes
checking sys/param.h presence... yes
checking for sys/param.h... yes
checking syscall.h usability... yes
checking syscall.h presence... yes
checking for syscall.h... yes
checking pwd.h usability... yes
checking pwd.h presence... yes
checking for pwd.h... yes
checking grp.h usability... yes
checking grp.h presence... yes
checking for grp.h... yes
checking a.out.h usability... yes
checking a.out.h presence... yes
checking for a.out.h... yes
checking utime.h usability... yes
checking utime.h presence... yes
checking for utime.h... yes
checking for memory.h... (cached) yes
checking direct.h usability... no
checking direct.h presence... no
checking for direct.h... no
checking sys/resource.h usability... yes
checking sys/resource.h presence... yes
checking for sys/resource.h... yes
checking sys/mkdev.h usability... no
checking sys/mkdev.h presence... no
checking for sys/mkdev.h... no
checking sys/utime.h usability... no
checking sys/utime.h presence... no
checking for sys/utime.h... no
checking netinet/in_systm.h usability... yes
checking netinet/in_systm.h presence... yes
checking for netinet/in_systm.h... yes
checking float.h usability... yes
checking float.h presence... yes
checking for float.h... yes
checking ieeefp.h usability... no
checking ieeefp.h presence... no
checking for ieeefp.h... no
checking pthread.h usability... yes
checking pthread.h presence... yes
checking for pthread.h... yes
checking ucontext.h usability... yes
checking ucontext.h presence... yes
checking for ucontext.h... yes
checking intrinsics.h usability... no
checking intrinsics.h presence... no
checking for intrinsics.h... no
checking for rlim_t... yes
checking size of rlim_t... 8
checking for size_t... yes
checking for struct stat.st_blksize... yes
checking for struct stat.st_blocks... yes
checking for struct stat.st_rdev... yes
checking for uid_t in sys/types.h... (cached) yes
checking type of array argument to getgroups... gid_t
checking return type of signal handlers... void
checking for working alloca.h... yes
checking for alloca... yes
checking for working memcmp... yes
checking for _LARGEFILE_SOURCE value needed for large files... 1
checking for ftello... yes
checking for broken erfc of glibc-2.3.6 on IA64... no
checking for dup2... yes
checking for memmove... yes
checking for strcasecmp... yes
checking for strncasecmp... yes
checking for strerror... yes
checking for strftime... yes
checking for strchr... yes
checking for strstr... yes
checking for strtoul... yes
checking for crypt... yes
checking for flock... yes
checking for vsnprintf... yes
checking for isnan... yes
checking for finite... yes
checking for isinf... yes
checking for hypot... yes
checking for acosh... yes
checking for erf... yes
checking for fmod... yes
checking for killpg... yes
checking for wait4... yes
checking for waitpid... yes
checking for syscall... yes
checking for chroot... yes
checking for fsync... yes
checking for getcwd... yes
checking for eaccess... no
checking for truncate... yes
checking for ftruncate... yes
checking for chsize... no
checking for times... yes
checking for utimes... yes
checking for fcntl... yes
checking for lockf... yes
checking for lstat... yes
checking for symlink... yes
checking for link... yes
checking for readlink... yes
checking for setitimer... yes
checking for setruid... no
checking for seteuid... yes
checking for setreuid... yes
checking for setresuid... yes
checking for setproctitle... no
checking for setrgid... no
checking for setegid... yes
checking for setregid... yes
checking for setresgid... yes
checking for issetugid... no
checking for pause... yes
checking for lchown... yes
checking for lchmod... no
checking for getpgrp... yes
checking for setpgrp... yes
checking for getpgid... yes
checking for setpgid... yes
checking for initgroups... yes
checking for getgroups... yes
checking for setgroups... yes
checking for getpriority... yes
checking for getrlimit... yes
checking for setrlimit... yes
checking for sysconf... yes
checking for group_member... yes
checking for dlopen... yes
checking for sigprocmask... yes
checking for sigaction... yes
checking for sigsetjmp... no
checking for _setjmp... yes
checking for _longjmp... yes
checking for setsid... yes
checking for telldir... yes
checking for seekdir... yes
checking for fchmod... yes
checking for mktime... yes
checking for timegm... yes
checking for gettimeofday... yes
checking for cosh... yes
checking for sinh... yes
checking for tanh... yes
checking for round... yes
checking for setuid... yes
checking for setgid... yes
checking for setenv... yes
checking for unsetenv... yes
checking for __builtin_setjmp... no
checking for setjmp type... _setjmp
checking whether struct tm is in sys/time.h or time.h... time.h
checking for struct tm.tm_zone... yes
checking for struct tm.tm_gmtoff... yes
checking for external int daylight... yes
checking for external timezone... long
checking for external altzone... no
checking for negative time_t for gmtime(3)... yes
checking whether getpgrp requires zero arguments... yes
checking whether setpgrp takes no argument... yes
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... no
checking whether char is unsigned... no
checking for inline... inline
checking for working volatile... yes
checking whether right shift preserve sign bit... yes
checking read count field in FILE structures... not found(OK if using GNU
libc)
checking read buffer ptr field in FILE structures... _IO_read_ptr
checking read buffer end field in FILE structures... _IO_read_end
checking whether need to seek between R/W... no
checking whether st_ino is huge... yes
checking whether _SC_CLK_TCK is supported... yes
checking stack growing direction... (cached) -1
checking whether ELF binaries are produced... yes
checking whether OS depend dynamic link works... yes
checking for nroff... /usr/bin/nroff
config.h unchanged
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
[root@home ruby-1.8.7-p72]#

Stefano Crocco

Alle Saturday 07 February 2009, Greg Hauptmann ha scritto:
Hi,
If I'm downloading the ruby source to compile on my Redhat linux box, do I
need "ruby-libs" as a prerequisite? I've seen it referred to but not sure
what it is?

If it does exist and I need it, where would I download the source for this
to build it (i.e. before then moving onto Ruby compile itself)?

=46rom the name, I'd say ruby-libs is a package for your distribution. If y=
ou=20
want to build ruby from source, you don't need it.

Stefano

Greg Hauptmann

2009/2/7 Stefano Crocco said:
Alle Saturday 07 February 2009, Greg Hauptmann ha scritto:

From the name, I'd say ruby-libs is a package for your distribution. If you
want to build ruby from source, you don't need it.

Stefano
thanks - you didn't have a look at my PS question by chance? (i.e.If I just
go straight to compiling ruby I do get some "no"'s coming back for the
initial "./configure". )

Stefano Crocco

Alle Saturday 07 February 2009, Greg Hauptmann ha scritto:
thanks - you didn't have a look at my PS question by chance? (i.e.If I
just go straight to compiling ruby I do get some "no"'s coming back for the
initial "./configure". )

I think that they're normal. If I remember correctly, when configure finds
something wrong (for example, a missing library), it would give an error at
the end. Since in your case it doesn't, it means everything is correct. You
don't need to look at the every line configure outputs: as I said, if
something is wrong, it'll tell you at the end.

Stefano