    --
    Greg
    http://blog.gregnet.org/

    Greg Hauptmann, Feb 7, 2009

  2. Re: do I need "ruby-libs" as a prerequisite to install/run ruby?what is "ruby-libs" exactly?

    2009/2/7 Greg Hauptmann <>

    > Hi,
    > If I'm downloading the ruby source to compile on my Redhat linux box, do I
    > need "ruby-libs" as a prerequisite? I've seen it referred to but not sure
    > what it is?
    >
    > If it does exist and I need it, where would I download the source for this
    > to build it (i.e. before then moving onto Ruby compile itself)?

    PS If I just go straight to compiling ruby I do get some "no" coming back
    for the initial "./configure". Is this OK? (see results of configure
    below)

    [root@home ruby-1.8.7-p72]# ./config
    config.status configure
    [root@home ruby-1.8.7-p72]# ./configure
    checking for gcc... gcc
    checking for suffix of executables...
    checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
    checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
    checking whether gcc needs -traditional... no
    checking whether the linker is GNU ld... yes
    checking whether gcc -E accepts -o... yes
    checking for bison... bison -y
    checking for ranlib... ranlib
    checking for ar... ar
    checking for as... as
    checking whether ln -s works... yes
    checking for AIX... no
    checking for ANSI C header files... yes
    checking for sys/types.h... yes
    checking for sys/stat.h... yes
    checking for stdlib.h... yes
    checking for string.h... yes
    checking for memory.h... yes
    checking for strings.h... yes
    checking for inttypes.h... yes
    checking for stdint.h... yes
    checking for unistd.h... yes
    checking minix/config.h usability... no
    checking minix/config.h presence... no
    checking for minix/config.h... no
    checking for special C compiler options needed for large files... no
    checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value needed for large files... 64
    checking for long long... yes
    checking for off_t... yes
    checking for int... yes
    checking size of int... 4
    checking for short... yes
    checking size of short... 2
    checking for long... yes
    checking size of long... 4
    checking for long long... (cached) yes
    checking size of long long... 8
    checking for __int64... no
    checking size of __int64... 0
    checking for off_t... (cached) yes
    checking size of off_t... 8
    checking for void*... yes
    checking size of void*... 4
    checking for float... yes
    checking size of float... 4
    checking for double... yes
    checking size of double... 8
    checking for time_t... yes
    checking size of time_t... 4
    checking for pid_t... yes
    checking for gid_t... yes
    checking for uid_t... yes
    checking for prototypes... yes
    checking token paste string... ansi
    checking for variable length prototypes and stdarg.h... yes
    checking for noreturn function attribute... __attribute__ ((noreturn)) x
    checking for noinline function attribute... __attribute__ ((noinline)) x
    checking for RUBY_EXTERN... no
    checking whether sys_nerr is declared... yes
    checking for crypt in -lcrypt... yes
    checking for dlopen in -ldl... yes
    checking for shl_load in -ldld... no
    checking for dirent.h that defines DIR... yes
    checking for library containing opendir... none required
    checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) yes
    checking for sys/wait.h that is POSIX.1 compatible... yes
    checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
    checking for string.h... (cached) yes
    checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
    checking limits.h usability... yes
    checking limits.h presence... yes
    checking for limits.h... yes
    checking sys/file.h usability... yes
    checking sys/file.h presence... yes
    checking for sys/file.h... yes
    checking sys/ioctl.h usability... yes
    checking sys/ioctl.h presence... yes
    checking for sys/ioctl.h... yes
    checking sys/syscall.h usability... yes
    checking sys/syscall.h presence... yes
    checking for sys/syscall.h... yes
    checking fcntl.h usability... yes
    checking fcntl.h presence... yes
    checking for fcntl.h... yes
    checking sys/fcntl.h usability... yes
    checking sys/fcntl.h presence... yes
    checking for sys/fcntl.h... yes
    checking sys/select.h usability... yes
    checking sys/select.h presence... yes
    checking for sys/select.h... yes
    checking sys/time.h usability... yes
    checking sys/time.h presence... yes
    checking for sys/time.h... yes
    checking sys/times.h usability... yes
    checking sys/times.h presence... yes
    checking for sys/times.h... yes
    checking sys/param.h usability... yes
    checking sys/param.h presence... yes
    checking for sys/param.h... yes
    checking syscall.h usability... yes
    checking syscall.h presence... yes
    checking for syscall.h... yes
    checking pwd.h usability... yes
    checking pwd.h presence... yes
    checking for pwd.h... yes
    checking grp.h usability... yes
    checking grp.h presence... yes
    checking for grp.h... yes
    checking a.out.h usability... yes
    checking a.out.h presence... yes
    checking for a.out.h... yes
    checking utime.h usability... yes
    checking utime.h presence... yes
    checking for utime.h... yes
    checking for memory.h... (cached) yes
    checking direct.h usability... no
    checking direct.h presence... no
    checking for direct.h... no
    checking sys/resource.h usability... yes
    checking sys/resource.h presence... yes
    checking for sys/resource.h... yes
    checking sys/mkdev.h usability... no
    checking sys/mkdev.h presence... no
    checking for sys/mkdev.h... no
    checking sys/utime.h usability... no
    checking sys/utime.h presence... no
    checking for sys/utime.h... no
    checking netinet/in_systm.h usability... yes
    checking netinet/in_systm.h presence... yes
    checking for netinet/in_systm.h... yes
    checking float.h usability... yes
    checking float.h presence... yes
    checking for float.h... yes
    checking ieeefp.h usability... no
    checking ieeefp.h presence... no
    checking for ieeefp.h... no
    checking pthread.h usability... yes
    checking pthread.h presence... yes
    checking for pthread.h... yes
    checking ucontext.h usability... yes
    checking ucontext.h presence... yes
    checking for ucontext.h... yes
    checking intrinsics.h usability... no
    checking intrinsics.h presence... no
    checking for intrinsics.h... no
    checking for rlim_t... yes
    checking size of rlim_t... 8
    checking for size_t... yes
    checking for struct stat.st_blksize... yes
    checking for struct stat.st_blocks... yes
    checking for struct stat.st_rdev... yes
    checking for uid_t in sys/types.h... (cached) yes
    checking type of array argument to getgroups... gid_t
    checking return type of signal handlers... void
    checking for working alloca.h... yes
    checking for alloca... yes
    checking for working memcmp... yes
    checking for _LARGEFILE_SOURCE value needed for large files... 1
    checking for ftello... yes
    checking for broken erfc of glibc-2.3.6 on IA64... no
    checking for dup2... yes
    checking for memmove... yes
    checking for strcasecmp... yes
    checking for strncasecmp... yes
    checking for strerror... yes
    checking for strftime... yes
    checking for strchr... yes
    checking for strstr... yes
    checking for strtoul... yes
    checking for crypt... yes
    checking for flock... yes
    checking for vsnprintf... yes
    checking for isnan... yes
    checking for finite... yes
    checking for isinf... yes
    checking for hypot... yes
    checking for acosh... yes
    checking for erf... yes
    checking for fmod... yes
    checking for killpg... yes
    checking for wait4... yes
    checking for waitpid... yes
    checking for syscall... yes
    checking for chroot... yes
    checking for fsync... yes
    checking for getcwd... yes
    checking for eaccess... no
    checking for truncate... yes
    checking for ftruncate... yes
    checking for chsize... no
    checking for times... yes
    checking for utimes... yes
    checking for fcntl... yes
    checking for lockf... yes
    checking for lstat... yes
    checking for symlink... yes
    checking for link... yes
    checking for readlink... yes
    checking for setitimer... yes
    checking for setruid... no
    checking for seteuid... yes
    checking for setreuid... yes
    checking for setresuid... yes
    checking for setproctitle... no
    checking for setrgid... no
    checking for setegid... yes
    checking for setregid... yes
    checking for setresgid... yes
    checking for issetugid... no
    checking for pause... yes
    checking for lchown... yes
    checking for lchmod... no
    checking for getpgrp... yes
    checking for setpgrp... yes
    checking for getpgid... yes
    checking for setpgid... yes
    checking for initgroups... yes
    checking for getgroups... yes
    checking for setgroups... yes
    checking for getpriority... yes
    checking for getrlimit... yes
    checking for setrlimit... yes
    checking for sysconf... yes
    checking for group_member... yes
    checking for dlopen... yes
    checking for sigprocmask... yes
    checking for sigaction... yes
    checking for sigsetjmp... no
    checking for _setjmp... yes
    checking for _longjmp... yes
    checking for setsid... yes
    checking for telldir... yes
    checking for seekdir... yes
    checking for fchmod... yes
    checking for mktime... yes
    checking for timegm... yes
    checking for gettimeofday... yes
    checking for cosh... yes
    checking for sinh... yes
    checking for tanh... yes
    checking for round... yes
    checking for setuid... yes
    checking for setgid... yes
    checking for setenv... yes
    checking for unsetenv... yes
    checking for __builtin_setjmp... no
    checking for setjmp type... _setjmp
    checking whether struct tm is in sys/time.h or time.h... time.h
    checking for struct tm.tm_zone... yes
    checking for struct tm.tm_gmtoff... yes
    checking for external int daylight... yes
    checking for external timezone... long
    checking for external altzone... no
    checking for negative time_t for gmtime(3)... yes
    checking whether getpgrp requires zero arguments... yes
    checking whether setpgrp takes no argument... yes
    checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... no
    checking whether char is unsigned... no
    checking for inline... inline
    checking for working volatile... yes
    checking whether right shift preserve sign bit... yes
    checking read count field in FILE structures... not found(OK if using GNU
    libc)
    checking read buffer ptr field in FILE structures... _IO_read_ptr
    checking read buffer end field in FILE structures... _IO_read_end
    checking whether need to seek between R/W... no
    checking whether st_ino is huge... yes
    checking whether _SC_CLK_TCK is supported... yes
    checking stack growing direction... (cached) -1
    checking whether ELF binaries are produced... yes
    checking whether OS depend dynamic link works... yes
    checking for nroff... /usr/bin/nroff
    config.h unchanged
    configure: creating ./config.status
    config.status: creating Makefile
    [root@home ruby-1.8.7-p72]#

    Greg Hauptmann, Feb 7, 2009

  3. Re: do I need "ruby-libs" as a prerequisite to install/run ruby?what is "ruby-libs" exactly?

    Alle Saturday 07 February 2009, Greg Hauptmann ha scritto:
    > Hi,
    > If I'm downloading the ruby source to compile on my Redhat linux box, do I
    > need "ruby-libs" as a prerequisite? I've seen it referred to but not sure
    > what it is?
    >
    > If it does exist and I need it, where would I download the source for this
    > to build it (i.e. before then moving onto Ruby compile itself)?

    =46rom the name, I'd say ruby-libs is a package for your distribution. If y=
    ou=20
    want to build ruby from source, you don't need it.

    Stefano

    Stefano Crocco, Feb 7, 2009
  4. Re: do I need "ruby-libs" as a prerequisite to install/run ruby?what is "ruby-libs" exactly?

    2009/2/7 Stefano Crocco <>

    > Alle Saturday 07 February 2009, Greg Hauptmann ha scritto:
    >
    > From the name, I'd say ruby-libs is a package for your distribution. If you
    > want to build ruby from source, you don't need it.
    >
    > Stefano

    thanks - you didn't have a look at my PS question by chance? (i.e.If I just
    go straight to compiling ruby I do get some "no"'s coming back for the
    initial "./configure". )

    Greg Hauptmann, Feb 7, 2009
  5. Re: do I need "ruby-libs" as a prerequisite to install/run ruby?what is "ruby-libs" exactly?

    Alle Saturday 07 February 2009, Greg Hauptmann ha scritto:
    > 2009/2/7 Stefano Crocco <>
    >
    > > Alle Saturday 07 February 2009, Greg Hauptmann ha scritto:
    > >
    > > From the name, I'd say ruby-libs is a package for your distribution. If
    > > you want to build ruby from source, you don't need it.
    > >
    > > Stefano

    > thanks - you didn't have a look at my PS question by chance? (i.e.If I
    > just go straight to compiling ruby I do get some "no"'s coming back for the
    > initial "./configure". )

    I think that they're normal. If I remember correctly, when configure finds
    something wrong (for example, a missing library), it would give an error at
    the end. Since in your case it doesn't, it means everything is correct. You
    don't need to look at the every line configure outputs: as I said, if
    something is wrong, it'll tell you at the end.

    Stefano

    Stefano Crocco, Feb 7, 2009