    TIA

    Alex Molochnikov

    PS: I posted this on JBoss forum, but so far did not get any response.
    Alex Molochnikov, Mar 2, 2005

  2. In article <aYmVd.557728$6l.451521@pd7tw2no>, on Wed, 02 Mar 2005 17:44:38 GMT, "Alex Molochnikov"
    <> wrote:

    | I am learning JBoss and its Eclipse plugin together. Worked my way through
    | the JBoss/Eclipse plugin Tutorial 1.3.0, that covers creation of a session
    | bean, and moved onto the entity beans. Unfortunately, I cannot find a
    | Tutorial that works with e. beans. So, things like setting transactions to
    | the e.b. methods, meaning of a myriad of options and properties available in
    | Xdoclets, etc. are still a mystery to me.
    |
    | Can anyone point me to a reference source, preferably on-line?

    Learn to use google?

    <http://www.google.com/search?q=entity+bean+tutorial> gives
    the following on the first page of results...

    <http://www.ejbtut.com/>
    <http://www.devx.com/Java/Article/17663>

    --
    DavidPostill
    David Postill, Mar 2, 2005

  3. Learn to read the post? Or at least the subject line?

    The question was about the tutorial on Eclipse plugin for JBoss.

    Alex Molochnikov, Mar 3, 2005
  4. Alex Molochnikov wrote:
    > I am learning JBoss and its Eclipse plugin together. Worked my way through
    > the JBoss/Eclipse plugin Tutorial 1.3.0, that covers creation of a session
    > bean, and moved onto the entity beans. Unfortunately, I cannot find a
    > Tutorial that works with e. beans. So, things like setting transactions to
    > the e.b. methods, meaning of a myriad of options and properties available in
    > Xdoclets, etc. are still a mystery to me.
    >
    > Can anyone point me to a reference source, preferably on-line?

    Since the JBoss-IDE depends on XDoclets for alot of things, you should
    invest some time into learning the different tags XDoclets provides for
    defining transactions.

    The JBoss specific tags are at
    <http://xdoclet.sourceforge.net/xdoclet/tags/jboss-tags.html>, the EJB
    tags are at <http://xdoclet.sourceforge.net/xdoclet/tags/ejb-tags.html>
    and the rest you can find from the links on both pages. HTH. :)

    --
    Darryl L. Pierce <>
    Visit my homepage: http://mcpierce.multiply.com
    Darryl Pierce, Mar 4, 2005
  5. Darryl,

    Thanks for the pointers. I saw the XDoclet manual before, but my problem is
    that the doclet tags are supposed to be automatically produced and inserted
    into the Java code by the JBoss plugin for Eclipse. I cannot find any
    documentation on the plugin whatsoever, with the exception of a very limited
    Tutorial that is available from the JBoss website.

    I tried bypassing the plugin, and put the tags into the code manually, but
    with no live examples to refer to, this turned to be a very frustrating
    experience.

    Alex Molochnikov.

    Alex Molochnikov, Mar 4, 2005
  6. Alex Molochnikov wrote:
    > Darryl,
    >
    > Thanks for the pointers. I saw the XDoclet manual before, but my problem is
    > that the doclet tags are supposed to be automatically produced and inserted
    > into the Java code by the JBoss plugin for Eclipse. I cannot find any
    > documentation on the plugin whatsoever, with the exception of a very limited
    > Tutorial that is available from the JBoss website.

    The tags are created when you use the wizards to create such things as
    business methods, etc. Go through the outliner, right click on an EJB
    class and select "Add Business Method" to have the tags automatically
    inserted.

    > I tried bypassing the plugin, and put the tags into the code manually, but
    > with no live examples to refer to, this turned to be a very frustrating
    > experience.

    The tag examples are documented on the XDoclets website.

    Darryl Pierce, Mar 6, 2005
  7. "Darryl Pierce" <> wrote in message
    > The tags are created when you use the wizards to create such things as
    > business methods, etc. Go through the outliner, right click on an EJB
    > class and select "Add Business Method" to have the tags automatically
    > inserted.

    The plugin Tutorial describes this, but a number of tags are missing from
    the wizard, such as @ejb.finder,
    @ejb.persistence (to specify the table name) etc. It appears to me that the
    plugin wizard is still in development, and I have been looking in vain for
    features that simply do not yet exist.

    > The tag examples are documented on the XDoclets website.

    I was looking for "live" examples, but having failed to find them, ended up
    learning the usage of tags by trial and error.

    Thanks for your help.

    Alex.
    Alex Molochnikov, Mar 6, 2005
  8. Alex Molochnikov wrote:
    >>The tags are created when you use the wizards to create such things as
    >>business methods, etc. Go through the outliner, right click on an EJB
    >>class and select "Add Business Method" to have the tags automatically
    >>inserted.

    > The plugin Tutorial describes this, but a number of tags are missing from
    > the wizard, such as @ejb.finder,
    > @ejb.persistence (to specify the table name) etc. It appears to me that the
    > plugin wizard is still in development, and I have been looking in vain for
    > features that simply do not yet exist.

    Why not just put them in yourself? For something like the above, it
    would seem to be more effort to go through a wizard than to do them
    manually.

    Darryl Pierce, Mar 6, 2005
  9. "Darryl Pierce" <> wrote in message
    > Why not just put them in yourself? For something like the above, it
    > would seem to be more effort to go through a wizard than to do them
    > manually.

    Because this defeats the purpose of the wizard. Indeed, I ended up putting
    in most of the required XDoclet tags manually, and if this is the only way
    to configure the bean, then a large layer of functionality of the wizard is
    missing, even though the wizard's appearance suggests that it should be able
    to handle the tags.

    The JBoss web pages provide one totally inadequate Tutorial on the Eclipse
    plugin, and no documentation whatsoever. So, I decided to ask the group, if
    anyone ever came across anything that would resemble the missing docs. But
    apparently, there is no documentation at all, and the plugin is half-baked.

    What annoys me is that they do not admit of this deficiency upfront, but
    instead claim that the plugin has "A very comfortable and sophisticated
    support for XDoclet (completion and generation)". Which cost me at least one
    full day of fruitless seraching.

    Alex.
    Alex Molochnikov, Mar 6, 2005
  10. Alex Molochnikov wrote:
    >>Why not just put them in yourself? For something like the above, it
    >>would seem to be more effort to go through a wizard than to do them
    >>manually.

    > Because this defeats the purpose of the wizard.

    Not in my eyes. For me, the JBoss-IDE does just what I need when it lets
    me define CMR, create business methods and finders, etc. through the
    wizard. Anything extra probably wouldn't get used by me, anyway...

    <snip>

    > What annoys me is that they do not admit of this deficiency upfront, but
    > instead claim that the plugin has "A very comfortable and sophisticated
    > support for XDoclet (completion and generation)". Which cost me at least one
    > full day of fruitless seraching.

    Well, there they are misleading since they don't provide documentation
    for the whole offering. They do show you how to take advantage of it to
    work with *their* product, as is to be expected. But, they should
    provide documentation for the whole thing, not just a very limited tutorial.

    Darryl Pierce, Mar 7, 2005