    Looking forward ...

    Regards,
    Muhammad Shuaib

    Muhammad Shuaib Anjum, Aug 12, 2004

  2. Hi Muhammad,

    There are a ton of TreeView controls for ASP.NET, including one that we
    have in the IE Webcontrols package. (Our is not supported by us, but it is
    available on www.asp.net.)

    Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
    MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
    Microsoft Developer Support

    --------------------
    >From: (Muhammad Shuaib Anjum)
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols
    >Subject: Does .NET provide any mechanism to replace ActiveX controls on

    web???
    >Date: 11 Aug 2004 22:29:45 -0700

    05:29:45 GMT)

    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols:11065

    Jim Cheshire [MSFT], Aug 12, 2004

  3. Hi Jim,

    Thanks for writing, but I qouted tree control just as example, infact
    I wanted to know that on the helm of .NET framework, which would be
    obviously installed on client machine as well, can I enjoy the
    flexibillity that AxtiveX controls provide while programming, without
    using them?

    Is Microsoft looking to extend the IE Web Controls package, so that
    developers may have some more controls to play with, on client side,
    without bothering the bandwidth consupmtion caused by downloading
    activex controls? Or if there exists some abstraction for Web Controls
    ( like Tree Control, or Toolbar control )that a developer can inherit
    to develop some custom controls, like developing a Web Control (and
    not an ActiveX one) to play a ticker for news which are being updated
    on the timeout of a minute from a data source on my web-server???
    (again this is just an example and not my requirement :)

    Looking forward ...

    Regards
    Muhammad Shuaib

    Muhammad Shuaib Anjum, Aug 13, 2004
  4. Muhammad,

    You need to be more specific in order for me to give you more specifics,
    but I will say that you can use Windows Forms controls hosted in Internet
    Explorer if you wish. The stipulation is that the .NET Framework exists on
    the client, and there is some minor configuration required for the runtime
    security policy in order to make it work correctly.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;305624

    Keep in mind that this is outside of my area of expertise. I'm not a
    client-side guy.

    Are we looking to extend the Web controls package? Kind of and kind of
    not. We are not going to extend what you currently have, but we have added
    a whole slew of very cool controls to Visual Studio .NET 2005, some of
    which are the same control types that you have available to you in the
    current Web controls.

    Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
    MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
    Microsoft Developer Support

    --------------------
    >From: (Muhammad Shuaib Anjum)
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols
    >Subject: Re: Does .NET provide any mechanism to replace ActiveX controls

    on web???
    >Date: 12 Aug 2004 22:14:20 -0700

    <>

    05:14:48 GMT)

    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols:11074

    >> Hi Muhammad,
    >>
    >> There are a ton of TreeView controls for ASP.NET, including one that we
    >> have in the IE Webcontrols package. (Our is not supported by us, but it

    is
    >> available on www.asp.net.)
    >>
    >> Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
    >> MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
    >> Microsoft Developer Support
    >>

    >> This post is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
    >>
    >> --------------------
    >> >From: (Muhammad Shuaib Anjum)
    >> >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols
    >> >Subject: Does .NET provide any mechanism to replace ActiveX controls on

    >> web???
    >> >Date: 11 Aug 2004 22:29:45 -0700

    >> 05:29:45 GMT)

    cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.s

    ul.t-online.de!t-online.de!fr.ip.ndsoftware.net!proxad.net!postnews2.google.

    Jim Cheshire [MSFT], Aug 13, 2004
  5. Hi Jim,

    Well being specific is that my company already have a browser-based
    client which runs an activex in the browser window, to provide
    interactive UI to the user. But by the virtue of activex :(, it takes
    a bunch of bandwidth, while downloading to users's machine.

    What we are looking foroward is to see if .NET Framework provide some
    magic which can be used to replace our ActiveX, and hence save user's
    bandwidth, without sacrificing any functionality. Obviously there can
    be some compromise but that should b minimized to 1-5 %.

    See if you can provide some details, or as you said you are not an
    expert of this, see if you can name somebody from Microsoft, who can
    be helpful in this regard.

    Muhammad Shuaib Anjum, Aug 15, 2004
  6. Muhammad,

    What you are asking is not possible. You have an ActiveX control that runs
    on the client. In order for that to happen, the control has to be
    downloaded to the client.

    You want to replace that with a control in .NET that provides for the same
    functionality and is a thin-client with no postback. Therefore, you have
    to download something to the client that will provide that. However, your
    requirement is that you remove the reliance on downloading anything.

    There is no way to do this.

    Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
    MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
    Microsoft Developer Support

    --------------------
    >From: (Muhammad Shuaib Anjum)
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols
    >Subject: Re: Does .NET provide any mechanism to replace ActiveX controls

    on web???
    >Date: 15 Aug 2004 00:04:21 -0700

    <>
    <>
    <>

    07:04:22 GMT)

    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols:11095

    >> Muhammad,
    >>
    >> You need to be more specific in order for me to give you more specifics,
    >> but I will say that you can use Windows Forms controls hosted in

    Internet
    >> Explorer if you wish. The stipulation is that the .NET Framework exists

    on
    >> the client, and there is some minor configuration required for the

    runtime
    >> security policy in order to make it work correctly.
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;305624
    >>
    >> Keep in mind that this is outside of my area of expertise. I'm not a
    >> client-side guy.
    >>
    >> Are we looking to extend the Web controls package? Kind of and kind of
    >> not. We are not going to extend what you currently have, but we have

    added
    >> a whole slew of very cool controls to Visual Studio .NET 2005, some of
    >> which are the same control types that you have available to you in the
    >> current Web controls.
    >>
    >> Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
    >> MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
    >> Microsoft Developer Support
    >>

    >> This post is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
    >>
    >> --------------------
    >> >From: (Muhammad Shuaib Anjum)
    >> >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols
    >> >Subject: Re: Does .NET provide any mechanism to replace ActiveX

    controls
    >> on web???
    >> >Date: 12 Aug 2004 22:14:20 -0700

    >> <>

    >> 05:14:48 GMT)

    cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!news-out.cwi

    x.com!news-out!newsfeed.cwix.com!easynet-monga!easynet.net!news.glorb.com!po

    Jim Cheshire [MSFT], Aug 16, 2004
  7. Hello Jim,

    Thanx for writing.

    While surfing the web, in the same context as of this thread, I came
    across something interesting: Smart Clients.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/smartclient/
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnpag/html/scag.asp

    I am having some time reading it, but see if you can provide some
    insight of how to compare it with Thin Client and Rich Client as it
    says. Though the text on the above links says that it provides a
    middle layer, which combines features of both Thin & Rich Cleints, but
    still I am not clear about it.

    Muhammad Shuaib Anjum, Aug 20, 2004
  8. Hi Muhammad,

    I'm not familiar with Smart Clients. I know of the existence of this
    technology, but I'm no expert in them.

    Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
    MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
    Microsoft Developer Support

    --------------------
    >From: (Muhammad Shuaib Anjum)
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols
    >Subject: Re: Does .NET provide any mechanism to replace ActiveX controls

    on web???
    >Date: 19 Aug 2004 22:05:21 -0700

    <>
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <>

    05:05:21 GMT)

    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols:11124

    >> Muhammad,
    >>
    >> What you are asking is not possible. You have an ActiveX control that

    runs
    >> on the client. In order for that to happen, the control has to be
    >> downloaded to the client.
    >>
    >> You want to replace that with a control in .NET that provides for the

    same
    >> functionality and is a thin-client with no postback. Therefore, you

    have
    >> to download something to the client that will provide that. However,

    your
    >> requirement is that you remove the reliance on downloading anything.
    >>
    >> There is no way to do this.
    >>
    >> Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
    >> MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
    >> Microsoft Developer Support
    >>

    >> This post is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
    >>
    >> --------------------
    >> >From: (Muhammad Shuaib Anjum)
    >> >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols
    >> >Subject: Re: Does .NET provide any mechanism to replace ActiveX

    controls
    >> on web???
    >> >Date: 15 Aug 2004 00:04:21 -0700

    >> <>
    >> <>
    >> <>

    >> 07:04:22 GMT)

    cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.s

    ul.t-online.de!t-online.de!news-spur1.maxwell.syr.edu!news.maxwell.syr.edu!p
    >> ostnews2.google.com!not-for-mail

    >> microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols:11095
    >> >
    >> >Hi Jim,
    >> >
    >> > Well being specific is that my company already have a browser-based
    >> >client which runs an activex in the browser window, to provide
    >> >interactive UI to the user. But by the virtue of activex :(, it takes
    >> >a bunch of bandwidth, while downloading to users's machine.
    >> >
    >> >What we are looking foroward is to see if .NET Framework provide some
    >> >magic which can be used to replace our ActiveX, and hence save user's
    >> >bandwidth, without sacrificing any functionality. Obviously there can
    >> >be some compromise but that should b minimized to 1-5 %.
    >> >
    >> >See if you can provide some details, or as you said you are not an
    >> >expert of this, see if you can name somebody from Microsoft, who can
    >> >be helpful in this regard.
    >> >
    >> >Looking forward ...
    >> >
    >> >Regards,
    >> >Muhammad Shuaib.
    >> >

    >> > (Jim Cheshire [MSFT]) wrote in message

    specifics,

    >> Internet

    exists
    >> on

    >> runtime

    of

    >> added

    of

    the

    rights.

    >> controls
    >> on web???

    >> <>

    >> 05:14:48 GMT)

    cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!news-out.cwi

    x.com!news-out!newsfeed.cwix.com!easynet-monga!easynet.net!news.glorb.com!po

    >> microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols:11074

    Controls

    that
    >> we

    but
    >> it
    >> is

    >> rights.

    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols

    controls
    >> on
    >> web???

    2004