Does rubyscript2exe still work?

Mark Marksest

I'm trying to get rubyscript2exe to work.

I'm using 1.8.6 on Windows 7 x64

I've been searching around and every tutorial either has different
directions then the last or is way outdated and wont work.

Could somebody tell me if this gem still works? If it does please point
me in the right direction. As of now I'm frustrated due to hours of
pointless searching so could somebody please help me?

Also, I felt that I should mention that I am still learning ruby and I'm
not very advanced yet. So please make any directions basic or easy to
follow.

Thank you

John Allen

Mark said:
I'm trying to get rubyscript2exe to work.

I'm using 1.8.6 on Windows 7 x64

I've been searching around and every tutorial either has different
directions then the last or is way outdated and wont work.

Could somebody tell me if this gem still works? If it does please point
me in the right direction. As of now I'm frustrated due to hours of
pointless searching so could somebody please help me?

Also, I felt that I should mention that I am still learning ruby and I'm
not very advanced yet. So please make any directions basic or easy to
follow.

Thank you

You might want to have a look at OCRA (http://ocra.rubyforge.org/). I
believe it is still being supported by the developer, unlike
rubyscript2exe which was stopped some time ago.

-- John

Will Parsons

John said:
You might want to have a look at OCRA (http://ocra.rubyforge.org/). I
believe it is still being supported by the developer, unlike
rubyscript2exe which was stopped some time ago.

I'm not sure how well ocra is maintained. It's broken if you want to use
prawn - there's a bug report on this, but no sign of activity. I had to
find a patched version of rubyscript2exe because ocra didn't work for me.

Mark Marksest

Will said:
I'm not sure how well ocra is maintained. It's broken if you want to
use
prawn - there's a bug report on this, but no sign of activity. I had to
find a patched version of rubyscript2exe because ocra didn't work for
me.

Do you have a link to the patched version of rubyscript2exe?

Mark Estefanos

Will said:
I *think* this is where I got it:
http://github.com/cowlibob/rubyscript2exe

If you have problems, I can send you the version I have.

It gives me this error:
I typed this in : C:\Users\Mark>rubyscript2exe helloworld.rb
Error:
C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rubyscript2exe-0.5.3/bin/rubyscript2exe:5:in
`rep
lace': can't modify frozen string (TypeError)
from
C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rubyscript2exe-0.5.3/bin/rubyscript2
exe:5
from C:/Ruby/bin/rubyscript2exe:19:in `load'
from C:/Ruby/bin/rubyscript2exe:19
I installed the gem.
This is probably something really stupid I missed.
Any help?
Thanks

Will Parsons

Mark said:
It gives me this error:
I typed this in : C:\Users\Mark>rubyscript2exe helloworld.rb
Error:
C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rubyscript2exe-0.5.3/bin/rubyscript2exe:5:in
`rep
lace': can't modify frozen string (TypeError)
from
C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rubyscript2exe-0.5.3/bin/rubyscript2
exe:5
from C:/Ruby/bin/rubyscript2exe:19:in `load'
from C:/Ruby/bin/rubyscript2exe:19
I installed the gem.
This is probably something really stupid I missed.
Any help?
Thanks

I'm not sure why it's invoking the gem when you're manually running the
(presumably patched) version from your own account. Maybe you should
uninstall the gem to avoid confusion. FWIW, this is how I'm invoking it
in my Makefile (for a program called recepsum):

recepsum.exe: recepsum.rb
ruby rubyscript2exe.rb recepsum.rb --rubyscript2exe-rubyw

Mark Estefanos

Will said:
I'm not sure why it's invoking the gem when you're manually running the
(presumably patched) version from your own account. Maybe you should
uninstall the gem to avoid confusion. FWIW, this is how I'm invoking it
in my Makefile (for a program called recepsum):

recepsum.exe: recepsum.rb
ruby rubyscript2exe.rb recepsum.rb --rubyscript2exe-rubyw
THANK YOU!
It words, I installed the rb file and directed cmd to the directory
instead of using the gem and it works.
Now to fix the icon.....

Will Parsons

Mark said:
THANK YOU!
It words, I installed the rb file and directed cmd to the directory
instead of using the gem and it works.
Now to fix the icon.....

Glad to have helped.