    can i download a spreadsheet from an HTML page? click a link and the csv open in excel?
    tia,
    mike

    mcnewsxp, Sep 15, 2011

  2. mcnewsxp

    Neil Gould Guest

    mcnewsxp wrote:
    > can i download a spreadsheet from an HTML page? click a link and the
    > csv open in excel? tia,
    > mike

    Sure... go ahead, I don't mind! ;-)

    Google: html table to excel

    --
    Neil

    Neil Gould, Sep 15, 2011

  3. mcnewsxp

    mcnewsxp Guest

    dumb question. no problem.

    mcnewsxp, Sep 15, 2011
  4. On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 07:54:05 -0700, mcnewsxp wrote:

    > can i download a spreadsheet from an HTML page? click a link and the
    > csv open in excel? tia,

    Wrong question.

    What a web browser does with a document will depend on a couple of things:

    a) What type of document the web browser thinks it is getting (which
    might be based on the mime type the server tells it, or the file
    extension, or both, prioritising one over the other in the latter case).

    b) What the browser is configured to do with that type of document, which
    might be some browser default value, user configured, determined by other
    installed software, decided by the operating system, save the file or to
    ask the user.

    Note that (a) above might in turn rely on the configuration of the web
    server as to what metadata it sends in relation to given file types,
    which it might in turn identify by the file extension or by other means.

    Rgds

    Denis McMahon

    Denis McMahon, Sep 15, 2011
  5. mcnewsxp

    mcnewsxp Guest

    right. is there any way to ensure the browser gets it right with HTML?

    mcnewsxp, Sep 19, 2011
  6. On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 06:16:59 -0700 (PDT), mcnewsxp wrote:
    > right. is there any way to ensure the browser gets it right with HTML?

    *What* are you nattering on about?

    Oh, sigh, I see: User-Agent: G2/1.0

    Allodoxaphobia, Sep 19, 2011
  7. mcnewsxp wrote:
    > right. is there any way to ensure the browser gets it right with HTML?

    1) Learn to quote

    2) No

    As you have been told what happens when someone clicks the above depends on
    a) how the *user* has his browsers configured to handle XLS files
    b) what software the *user* has installed on *his* system.

    You cannot with HTML override a or b. If the user has it setup to
    download XLS files only you cannot force him to open it directly in
    Excel. Also if the user does not have Excel you cannot force him to
    install it.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 19, 2011
  8. On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 06:16:59 -0700, mcnewsxp wrote:

    > right. is there any way to ensure the browser gets it right with HTML?

    If you control the server, you can at least control how the server
    presents the file. i.e. the headers.

    However, unless you control the browser configuration, you can not
    control how the browser handles the mime type / file type.

    That element of browser configuration is usually outside of what you can
    control from a web page, for good reason.

    If I could control what your browser did when I sent a specific file to
    it, I could install any software I wanted on your computer. Thank you for
    your banking details, please wait while I transfer all the funds from
    your bank to my bank, welcome to my botnet.

    Rgds

    Denis McMahon

    Denis McMahon, Sep 19, 2011
  9. mcnewsxp

    mcnewsxp Guest

    "2) No"

    thanks

    mcnewsxp, Sep 20, 2011
  10. mcnewsxp wrote:
    > "2) No"
    >
    > thanks

    The basic rule of HTML, and web design in general: you can only suggest
    and not force anything on the user. (Hopefully it will stay that way,
    power to the people and all...)

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 20, 2011
  11. mcnewsxp

    mcnewsxp Guest

    "power to the people"

    right on!

    mcnewsxp, Sep 20, 2011
  12. mcnewsxp wrote:
    > "power to the people"
    >
    > right on!

    Wow! A smoky haze just drifted across my monitor! ;-)

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 20, 2011
  13. mcnewsxp

    dorayme Guest

    In article <j5aera$1p2$>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > mcnewsxp wrote:
    > > "power to the people"
    > >
    > > right on!

    > Wow! A smoky haze just drifted across my monitor! ;-)

    You had, of course, your gas-mask on.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Sep 20, 2011
  14. dorayme wrote:
    > In article<j5aera$1p2$>,
    > "Jonathan N. Little"<> wrote:
    >
    >> mcnewsxp wrote:
    >>> "power to the people"
    >>>
    >>> right on!

    >> Wow! A smoky haze just drifted across my monitor! ;-)

    > You had, of course, your gas-mask on.

    Absolutely!

    --
    Take care,