Dynamic pages and search engines

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by only_me, Jan 3, 2004.

  1. only_me

    only_me Guest

    Not a coding question as such but highly related to asp/dynamic pages issues
    : has anyone any suggestions on the following

    ASP sites are generally (always) of a dynamic nature, pages can be built on
    the contents of querystrings, so search engines can only be directed to your
    first index.asp page since the search engine is unable to deduce what
    querystring parameters should/could be used.

    I have a company listing site and would like each companys listing info to
    be found by the search engines, so that each can be picked up on their own
    features.

    I have seen schemes which attempt to make the site more static by using the
    error 404 page and dummy urls, which can then be parsed by the 404 page to
    rebuild the correct dymanic url to redirect user into the correct page.

    But this can only work (as far as I can see) if your site also contains a
    lot of seed pages which make reference to those urls for the search engines
    to crawl down , in which case I might just as well have 'seed' pages
    containg the normal dynamic url's ( google seems to handle those ok now) and
    not bother with the 404 lark.

    However on a company listing site, you have or hope to have a large number
    of entries, currently I have some 200k listed, now if I genereate 'seed'
    pages at 100 companies / page thats going to be a heck of a lot of 'seed'
    pages - no problem to generate them for me, but are they likley to be
    regarded as an attempt to spam the engine and so be disregarded and so in
    the end be a waste of time

    I would be interested in others ideas and thoughts on the subject
    only_me, Jan 3, 2004