Dynamic Subdomains asp

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by steve, Aug 13, 2005.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    Hi

    I am writing an application which ideally requires the creation of
    subdomains dynamically via asp. However I want all the subdomains to
    point to 1 asp file, which I wish to use to figure out which subdomain
    has been typed in the url and to process it appropriately.

    I was thinking of 2 possible approaches and I am a bit 'cloudly' about
    both:

    1. Creating a catchall subdomain (not sure of the best way to do this)
    pointing all subdomains *.domain.com to an asp file and figuring out
    what subdomain has been used.

    2. Creating a subdomain dynamically as and when a user registers a
    subdomain and pointing them all again to the same asp page.

    Ideally I would prefer method 2 as many people don't have access to
    their server, however if this is just not possible, method 1 would do.

    Does anyone have any ideas?

    Thank you.

    steve, Aug 13, 2005