e-mail and ASP.NET 2.0

Ed

I need to send e-mail from and ASP.NET 2.0 application. I have been reading
the docs on how to do this. It seems that it is a requirment to have an
username and password for the SMTP server. Here are some questions:

1. What account do the mean? a domain account? an account on that local
machine?

2. Is this not a security issue to pass this credentials over the wire
without SSL?

3. I saw in some postings that some beleived this credential was not needed
in ver 1.0, 1.1 of .NET is this true? Does this mean someone could create a
project in version 1.0, 1.1, and then reference it in ver 2.0 and not need
the credentials?

4. I may not be able to get a username, password to use. Is there any
other way of sending e-mail that does not need a credential. Either using
the existing software or 3rd party (and which 3rd party software.

5. Is it possible to call up an installed Outlook client on the web
(intranet) server from ASP.NET 2.0, and what would be the issues of doing
that.

Thanks in advance...Ed B

Scott Roberts

I need to send e-mail from and ASP.NET 2.0 application. I have been
reading
the docs on how to do this. It seems that it is a requirment to have an
username and password for the SMTP server. Here are some questions:

1. What account do the mean? a domain account? an account on that local
machine?

You need an account on the SMTP server software. If the SMTP server software
allows Windows Authentication then you *might* be able to use that (although
I've never tried it).
2. Is this not a security issue to pass this credentials over the wire
without SSL?

I believe you should be able to use SSL as long as your SMTP server allows
it. I've never used SSL though, because our SMTP server is on our local
network.
3. I saw in some postings that some beleived this credential was not
needed
in ver 1.0, 1.1 of .NET is this true? Does this mean someone could create
project in version 1.0, 1.1, and then reference it in ver 2.0 and not
need
the credentials?

Whether or not you need credentials is determined by the SMTP server, not
the client. The method for passing credentials changed from 1.1 to 2.0. If
you want to send mail without a username & password you will need to
find/install a SMTP server that allows anonymous relaying. Hopefully there
are not very many of those around today.
4. I may not be able to get a username, password to use. Is there any
other way of sending e-mail that does not need a credential. Either using
the existing software or 3rd party (and which 3rd party software.

Why can't you get a username and password? I believe that most (if not all)
SMTP servers are set up to require username & password these days, so when
you set up an account on your SMTP server (or request a mail account from a
3rd party) they will issue a username & password for you.

Trying to send mail without using a valid mail account is called "anonymous
relaying" and is generally only used by spammers and phishers. Don't be a
spammer or phisher, get a real mail account.

bruce barker

the account/password needs are defined by the smtp server you are using. the
smtp server can use basic clear text (with or without ssl) or a
challenge/respose. the smtp server can also be setup to use no authenication
(but this is rare with today's spammers).

you can also use the iis smtp server as a relay, or you mail system can be
setup with just a dropoff folder.

in any event, you will need to talk to mail system expert to get the smtp
address and creditentials needed. if you are using exchange, they may need to
install and configure smtp support.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

sloan

You should be able to experiment with the downloadable code here:

http://sholliday.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!A68482B9628A842A!138.entry

My trivial understanding is that you would use a username/pwd (like you do
for you personal email)..
Or you setup a machine you have, but it ends up forwarding the requests
somewhere else.

But read what others say as well.

The code above is very easy to configure for testing different situations.