    Anyone?

    Thanks!
    , Jul 6, 2008

  2. On 6-7-2008 8:03, wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am new to Eclipse and it is mystifying me why the Build Project and
    > Build All items on the Project menu are grayed out! I am able to run
    > and debug but can't figure out to compile a JAR file!
    >
    > Anyone?
    >
    > Thanks!

    In the Project menu, have you also seen the check mark in front of
    "Build Automatically"?

    When "Build Automatically" is selected, Eclipse compiles Java files on
    the fly (when you save a file from the editor, IIRC), so your project is
    always in a "built"-state. You'll never have to compile or build a
    project yourself.

    What do you exactly mean by compiling a JAR file? If you want to create
    a JAR file of the compiled code, you'll need to use the export wizard:
    right-click on the project in the package explorer and select Export
    from the menu. Then in the Export window, expand the "Java" item and
    select "JAR file". Click on the Next button and follow the wizard's next
    steps.
    --
    Regards,

    Roland
    Roland de Ruiter, Jul 6, 2008

    On Jul 6, 8:17 am, Roland de Ruiter <>
    wrote:
    > On 6-7-2008 8:03, wrote:
    >
    > > Hi All,

    > > I am new to Eclipse and it is mystifying me why the Build Project and
    > > Build All items on the Project menu are grayed out! I am able to run
    > > and debug but can't figure out to compile a JAR file!

    > > Anyone?

    > > Thanks!

    > In the Project menu, have you also seen the check mark in front of
    > "Build Automatically"?
    >
    > When "Build Automatically" is selected, Eclipse compiles Java files on
    > the fly (when you save a file from the editor, IIRC), so your project is
    > always in a "built"-state. You'll never have to compile or build a
    > project yourself.
    >
    > What do you exactly mean by compiling a JAR file? If you want to create
    > a JAR file of the compiled code, you'll need to use the export wizard:
    > right-click on the project in the package explorer and select Export
    > from the menu. Then in the Export window, expand the "Java" item and
    > select "JAR file". Click on the Next button and follow the wizard's next
    > steps.
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Roland

    Thanks Roland - I didn't know about the "Export" step. I was used to
    JBuilder 2005 that did that automatically.
    , Jul 6, 2008