Eclipse vs. Netbeans. Netbeans is winning me over almost at first glance.

Discussion in 'Java' started by Thomas G. Marshall, Oct 15, 2006.

  1. I'm having a struggle with the latest moving target of Eclipse. I've been
    trying to mimic my development environment from back when I was using visual
    cafe (from roughly 96 to 02). I want all source, from any and all projects
    I choose regardless of what is my "current" project to come from

    C:\Devel\Source\...

    And I want all .class files to land in

    C:\Devel\Classes\...

    This will allow me to edit source files that would normally not be in my
    immediate project. And have any changes to, say, a utility of mine that I
    alter link directly into other projects the moment I open that project.

    I try to set this up using "linked resources". I've been able to get this
    to work in 3.1, but this new rev seems to have changed everything yet again
    and I cannot get the source directory entered without compiling everything
    in it *no matter how many folders I exclude*. Huh? Are you saying "huh?"
    too? If you have an idea about how to set this up with precise steps, I'd
    love to hear it.

    Eclipse is a roaring PITA.

    So I tried installing NetBeans 5.5 just for yucks. Everything seems so much
    cleaner. I wanted to put in source directories from anywhere: wham. Now
    I'm trying to figure out how to have the .classes all go to
    c:\Devel\Classes, but I'm not as worred about that.

    --
    Very old classic: Three men check into a hotel: the
    room is $25 for the night. They each hand the bellhop

    Thomas G. Marshall, Oct 15, 2006

  2. Re: Eclipse vs. Netbeans. Netbeans is winning me over almost at first glance.

    Hi,

    If configuring the classes folder is something you are looking for, you
    can do that in eclipse by going to Project-> Properties -> Java Build
    Path and at the bottom you should see default output folder and an
    option to change it via a browse button.

    -cheers,
    Manish

    PS: Liked that little brain-teaser in your signature.

    Manish Pandit, Oct 16, 2006

  3. Re: Eclipse vs. Netbeans. Netbeans is winning me over almost at first glance.

    Manish Pandit said something like:
    > Hi,
    >
    > If configuring the classes folder is something you are looking for, you
    > can do that in eclipse by going to Project-> Properties -> Java Build
    > Path and at the bottom you should see default output folder and an
    > option to change it via a browse button.

    No, I've got that working ok. In fact, both Source and Classes are entered
    properly, it's just that even though I exclude a myriad of source folders
    from the build path (say, from the packages that are not yet complete) they
    all are attempted to be compiled.

    I'm half wondering if this is simply a bug in 3.3M2.

    > PS: Liked that little brain-teaser in your signature.

    Thanks. It's a very good lesson to learn.

    --
    "His name was Robert Paulson. His name was Robert Paulson. His name was
    Robert

    Thomas G. Marshall, Oct 16, 2006