Eclipse

Matt Silberstein

I anyone using Eclipse? If so, can you give me a clue to get started.
I keep reading about how good an IDE it is, but it does not seem to
help with Web stuff (CSS/HTML/JavaScript). I downloaded a variety of
plug-ins, but it just seems like a hard to use straight text editor.
What am I doing wrong?

--
Matt Silberstein

Do something today about the Darfur Genocide

http://www.beawitness.org
http://www.darfurgenocide.org
http://www.savedarfur.org

"Darfur: A Genocide We can Stop"

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Matt said:
I anyone using Eclipse?

I am using eclipse 3.2M2, currently with MyEclipse 4.0.3GA and PHPEclipse
1.1.8-CVS-20051018 plugins.
If so, can you give me a clue to get started. I keep reading about how
good an IDE it is,

It is. But it is an editor platform, so you need an appropriate editor
plugin to get the most out of it. Eclipse started being a Java IDE only
which is why that is included by default in the SDK. The Java Perspective
and the Java editor is obviously not suited for editing HTML or JS files.
but it does not seem to help with Web stuff (CSS/HTML/JavaScript).

Yes, that only seems to be so. For example, with MyEclipse plugin
installed, you can conveniently edit (X)HTML, XML, CSS, JS and files in
many other Web formats. BTW, I fail to see why you consider Java not to
be "Web stuff".
I downloaded a variety of plug-ins, but it just seems like a hard to
use straight text editor.

The current MyEclipse version contains a structural editor for the HTML
editor plugin when running under MS Windows. Note that using structural
editors only often makes you ending up with invalid code if you do not
understand the basics of structural markup.
What am I doing wrong?

You are expecting a development platform to be a point-and-click
editor -- probably, since you did not tell what you really did (i.e.
which plugins you tried) and what exactly did not work as expected.

PointedEars

Matt Silberstein

I am using eclipse 3.2M2, currently with MyEclipse 4.0.3GA and PHPEclipse
1.1.8-CVS-20051018 plugins.

It is. But it is an editor platform, so you need an appropriate editor
plugin to get the most out of it. Eclipse started being a Java IDE only
which is why that is included by default in the SDK. The Java Perspective
and the Java editor is obviously not suited for editing HTML or JS files.

Yes, that only seems to be so. For example, with MyEclipse plugin
installed, you can conveniently edit (X)HTML, XML, CSS, JS and files in
many other Web formats. BTW, I fail to see why you consider Java not to
be "Web stuff".

No slur intended. I don't do Java at the moment and think of it as
"bigger" than Web stuff. Java produces "programs" (even if applets).
Yes, I know those are terms of art. It is more what I do/everything
else.
The current MyEclipse version contains a structural editor for the HTML
editor plugin when running under MS Windows. Note that using structural
editors only often makes you ending up with invalid code if you do not
understand the basics of structural markup.

Yeah, I expect an editor to give me help with persnickety details.
You are expecting a development platform to be a point-and-click
editor -- probably, since you did not tell what you really did (i.e.
which plugins you tried) and what exactly did not work as expected.

I did not want to bore people if I was so off topic. I downloaded
MyEcplise, though, so I will try to play with it a bit more. Thanks
for the help.

--
Matt Silberstein

Do something today about the Darfur Genocide

http://www.beawitness.org
http://www.darfurgenocide.org
http://www.savedarfur.org

"Darfur: A Genocide We can Stop"

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Matt said:
[...] Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn said:
Matt said:
I anyone using Eclipse?
[...] it does not seem to help with Web stuff (CSS/HTML/JavaScript).

Yes, that only seems to be so. For example, with MyEclipse plugin
installed, you can conveniently edit (X)HTML, XML, CSS, JS and files in
many other Web formats. BTW, I fail to see why you consider Java not to
be "Web stuff".

No slur intended. I don't do Java at the moment and think of it as
"bigger" than Web stuff. Java produces "programs" (even if applets).
Yes, I know those are terms of art. It is more what I do/everything
else.

JS scripts are programs, too. Most notably, they are compiled into
byte-code which is interpreted by a Virtual Machine later, like Java
programs are; it is only that few people know that because in most
cases, the JS compilation process is performed just-in-time.
Yeah, I expect an editor to give me help with persnickety details.

Such as?
I did not want to bore people if I was so off topic.

Discussing IDEs that can be used for JS programming does not seem to me as
being off-topic here.
I downloaded MyEcplise, though, so I will try to play with it a bit more.
Thanks for the help.

You're welcome.

PointedEars

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Matt said:
Coming into this thread late, but also look at:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/jseditor/

Yes, but note the date of last update. Unlike MyEclipse's JavaScript
editor, it's for free. Like the latter, it cannot handle prototypes
(which can be seen in the Outline View) and can do code completion
(with Ctrl+Space). MyEclipse is better on code completion when it
comes to JSdoc; the SF JS editor is better with general language
constructs.

Unfortunately, Harish Kataria's JavaScript Editor 2.0.0 plugin seems the
only JS Editor capable of recognizing prototypes that works at least with
eclipse 3.2M2 can no longer be downloaded from the author's Web site

<http://www.ee.ryerson.ca/~hkataria/>

and therefore it has to remain with me for private use only until further
notice (which is why I did not mention it before). On the other hand, it
cannot do code completion. Probably v2.0.1 will but we have to wait for
that.

Since Harish now provides contact e-mail addresses, I will ask him about
the access problem.

PointedEars