Effect on exisitng ASPNET 1.1 applications of updating to ASP.NET 2.0

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by John Morgan, Dec 4, 2006.

  1. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    I am using Visual Studio 2003 and have half a dozen applications
    running happily using ASP.NET 1.1 on my local network.

    Could someon assure me that if I upgrade to ASP.Net 2.0 then the
    existing applications can still be further developed in ASP.NET 1.1
    using VS 2003.

    In other words I am looking for assurance that ASP.NET 1.1 runs
    independently of ASP.NET 2.0 when both versions are installed in the
    same computer.

    I am assuming that VS 2003 cannot handle ASP.NET 2.0

    My apologies if this rather simple and obvious question has been
    asked before but to my shame I have not looked into this newsgroup for
    a long while,

    Best wishes, John Morgan
    John Morgan, Dec 4, 2006

  2. I don't think anyone can assure you this will be the case. However, that is
    supposed to be the case and, most likley, you won't have problem and if you
    do have one or two, you can probably just do something a little different to
    get it working.

    Should be easy for you to try though.

    --
    Jonathan Wood
    SoftCircuits Programming

    Jonathan Wood, Dec 4, 2006

  3. Re: Effect on exisitng ASPNET 1.1 applications of updating to ASP.NET 2.0

    For what it's worth (and assurances from a newsgroup aren't worth that
    much) I can confirm that ASP.NET 2.0 and 1.1 work independently of each
    other. In IIS you can select whether you want a given website to run
    under ASP.NET 2.0 or 1.1.

    VS2003 will not support .NET 2.0. You have to upgrade to 2005 or
    abandon the IDE for a text editor and msbuild. ;-)

    Clinton Farleigh, Dec 4, 2006
  4. re:
    > Could someon assure me that if I upgrade to ASP.Net 2.0 then the
    > existing applications can still be further developed in ASP.NET 1.1
    > using VS 2003.

    Absolutely.

    ASP.NET 1.1 and ASP.NET 2.0 can coexist without problems.

    There's one major caveat, related to running ASP.NET on IIS 6.0 :
    You *must* run 1.1 apps and 2.0 apps isolated from each other in different Application Pools.

    You don't need to worry about that on IIS 5.0 and/or IIS 5.1.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/

    Juan T. Llibre, Dec 4, 2006
  5. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    Thanks for those helpful replies, will get on and upgrade to ASP.Net
    2.0

    Best wishes, John Morgan
    John Morgan, Dec 5, 2006