emacs shell hangs on W32 with python

emin.shopper

Emacs seems to freeze when doing certain shell commands on Microsoft
Windows. The following is a simple example with Xemacs:

[Xemacs version 21.4.19; January 2006]

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

h:\>c:\python25\python.exe -i
c:\python25\python.exe -i
Python 2.5 (r25:51908, Sep 19 2006, 09:52:17) [MSC v.1310 32 bit
(Intel)] on win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.2
2

At this point, python no longer accepts input. This example works fine
when starting python through dos instead of emacs. Note, I am not using
python-mode.el so that is not the problem. I also reproduced the
problem with GNU Emacs (version "GNU Emacs 21.3.1
(i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
of 2004-03-10 on NYAUMO")

Is there any way to run python through emacs or xemacs without having
it hang or is shell support broken?

Thanks in advance,
-Emin

Brian Elmegaard

Is there any way to run python through emacs or xemacs without having
it hang or is shell support broken?

Doing it from eshell gives the same problem :-(

emin.shopper

Hmm, it doesn't even work if I run the cygwin version of GNU Emacs and
have it start the Windows version of python through python-mode or if I
start a shell in emacs and then start the Windows version of python
through the shell. Interestingly, however, things DO seem to work if I
use cygwin emacs with cygwin python (version 2.4.1).

I wonder if the windows version of Tkinter does something weird such as
implicitly calling Tk.mainloop()...

Any help would be much appreciated.

emin.shopper

The same problems occur with the latest emacs binary from CVS
(emacs-version)

"GNU Emacs 23.0.0.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2006-10-16 on DTOP"

emin.shopper

Lennart said:
Could you then please post a bug report? Just choose "Help - Send bug
report" from the menus.

I sent a bug-report to the emacs list as requested and got an email
reply saying the message is being held for a moderator to look at.
Since the bug seems to be in the interaction of emacs with python, I'm
also cross-posting this to comp.lang.python in case anyone there can
help. (Note this bug shows up in all the versions of emacs that I have
tried including Xemacs and GNU Emacs 21).

The body of the bug-report is below:

I started emacs with -q did ESC-x shell and entered the following

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

h:\projects\arcp_db\trunk\src\gui>c:\python25\python.exe -i
c:\python25\python.exe -i
Python 2.5 (r25:51908, Sep 19 2006, 09:52:17) [MSC v.1310 32 bit
(Intel)] on win32

Note that after the call to Tkinter.Tk() my python window freezes and
no longer works. Killing the Tk window does not help. I realize that
this may seem like a bug in python and not emacs except that if I do
exactly the same thing through a dos shell I have no problems (i.e.,
python keeps accepting input). Consequently, it seems like emacs is
doing something funky when running the shell that interferes with
python in a way that running the shell without emacs would not do.

Sincerely,
-Emin Martinian

In GNU Emacs 23.0.0.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
of 2006-10-16 on DTOP
X server distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.1) --cflags -O2 -g0
-march=i386 -mtune=i686 -pipe -IC:/gnuwin32/include_emacs
-IC:/gnuwin32/lib -IC:/gnuwin32/src --ldflags -s '

Important settings:
value of $LC_ALL: nil
value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
value of $LC_TIME: nil
value of $LANG: ENU
locale-coding-system: cp1252
default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
encoded-kbd-mode: t
tooltip-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
global-auto-composition-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t
line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu>
<report-emacs-bug>

Recent messages:
(c:\Program Files\emacs-23\ntemacs23\bin\emacs.exe -q)
For information about the GNU Project and its goals, type C-h C-p. [2
times]