Error 403 Forbidden forwarding from Apacha to Tomcat

Discussion in 'Java' started by Oleg Konovalov, May 2, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    I am trying to create 2 separate environments (dev and test) on one powerful
    Unix server which has 2 network cards, 2 IP addresses, 2 server names...

    Using Apache 2.0.43 and Tomcat 4.1.29/JBoss 3.0.7, mod_jk 2.0.43
    on Solaris 9, Intranet environment.

    Everything is fine on the first instance,
    but on the second instance when I do http://server2,
    Apache still can't redirect to second Tomcat/JBoss:

    "Forbidden

    Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an
    ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    -
    Apache/2.0.48 (Unix) mod_jk2/2.0.2 Server at mopppgctxat1.pfizer.com Port
    80"

    If I do http://server2:8180, getting it fine (from Tomcat/JBoss).

    I made all internal ports on the second instance different from the first:
    e.g. 8080->8180, 8009->8109, etc.
    Even tried to change "Listen <ip2>:80" to 81, same error.

    Curiously, jk2.properties is totally commented out.
    I haven't compiled mod_jk, just copied the binary from the 1st instance.
    Can that be a problem ?

    What can cause error 403 Forbidden on Apache->Tomcat ?

    Any help is very appreciated.

    Thank you,
    Oleg.

    Oleg Konovalov, May 2, 2005

  2. Oleg Konovalov

    Ross Bamford Guest

    On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 03:55 +0000, Oleg Konovalov wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to create 2 separate environments (dev and test) on one powerful
    > Unix server which has 2 network cards, 2 IP addresses, 2 server names...
    >
    > Using Apache 2.0.43 and Tomcat 4.1.29/JBoss 3.0.7, mod_jk 2.0.43
    > on Solaris 9, Intranet environment.
    >
    > Everything is fine on the first instance,
    > but on the second instance when I do http://server2,
    > Apache still can't redirect to second Tomcat/JBoss:
    >
    > "Forbidden
    > You don't have permission to access / on this server.
    >
    > Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an
    > ErrorDocument to handle the request.

    This is a almost cerainly *not* a tomcat / java problem - sounds like
    Apache to me (Especially with the ErrorDocument qualification).

    <offtopic>
    One thing you should check is that 'server2' is a valid DNS name for
    your box (add it to /etc/hosts), otherwise you will get almost random
    errors (I have seen 403 in this context).

    Also check that you are not denying access, with a directives like:

    order deny, allow
    deny from all
    allow from server

    (which is obviously broken from the pov of server2 vhost setup).

    And check that your permissions make sense with your new configuration
    for your server. If this doesn't help, email directly.
    </offtopic>

    --
    [Ross A. Bamford] [ross AT the.website.domain]
    Roscopeco Open Tech ++ Open Source + Java + Apache + CMF

    Ross Bamford, May 2, 2005