Error: 'HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error'

Chuck B

I just installed IIS 5.1 and Visual Studio 2003 with .NET 1.1.

I'm having a problem starting an ASP.NET project. Everytime I select an
template from the IDE I get the above message.

I set up a default.htm page and the IIS server appears to be working. It
just won't let me start a new VS project. Does anybody have a clue why this
is happening?

BTW, the error also occurs on another computer on the LAN. Could this be a
conflict of some kind on the network?

Rad [Visual C# MVP]

I just installed IIS 5.1 and Visual Studio 2003 with .NET 1.1.

I'm having a problem starting an ASP.NET project. Everytime I select an
template from the IDE I get the above message.

I set up a default.htm page and the IIS server appears to be working. It
just won't let me start a new VS project. Does anybody have a clue why this
is happening?

BTW, the error also occurs on another computer on the LAN. Could this be a
conflict of some kind on the network?

Check if asp.net is registered correctly

Jon Paal

what do you mean by

" It just won't let me start a new VS project"

What "it" are you referring to ?

Rad [Visual C# MVP]

If you're referring to aspnet_iisreg.exe I've tried that with no luck.

Do you have any existing asp.net pages? Try viewing one of those. If you
can view them then the issue is not IIS but Visual Studio

Another thing to check is the proxy settings for IE. Sometimes their
presence (or lack thereof) throws off Visual Studio

Chuck B

"It" would be a pronoun referring to the subject of the previous sentence.
The usage of "It" in this context is common in English grammar used in the
U.S. If English is a second or third language for you it might help to
replace the word "It" with the words "IIS server". In that way the sentence
might make more sense to you.

Thanks.

Chuck B

Rad said:
Do you have any existing asp.net pages? Try viewing one of those. If you
can view them then the issue is not IIS but Visual Studio

Another thing to check is the proxy settings for IE. Sometimes their
presence (or lack thereof) throws off Visual Studio

Ok, I tried running an ASP.NET page as default.aspx and that didn't work. So
I tried putting a link to an *.aspx page on a Default.htm page and the html
page opens fine but when I click on the link for the ASP.NET page there's no
reponse at all.

Jon Paal

You're the one that's stuck looking for free help, so be as flippant as you want and I'm sure that you will get loads of no help.
You got your code wrong and now you have your definitions wrong.

"It" is not limited to the subject of the previous sentence. "It" is a pronoun used to represent an inanimate thing understood,
previously mentioned, about to be mentioned, or present in the immediate context.

seemanthiniv

In the machine.config file try changing the username to "SYSTEM" for
processModel tag.