ASP.NET Http 1.1 500 Internal Server Error

Olaf Baeyens

I am stuck on this one the last few months at my home computer, and browsing
the Internet did not give any solution.
One thing that migh give a clue, is that it worked fine, before, but when I
installed XP service Pack 2 beta (release 1 and 2) and it didn't work
anymore and I started to get this error.

When I try to open a new WebApplication in VS.NET, I am getting the
following error Message.

The web server reported the following error when attempting to create or
open the web
project located at the following URL http://localhost/test. Http 1.1 500
Internal Server Error.

I have been trying all the trick found on the Internet in order to get this
going.
* Uninstall .NET framework completely + delete all folders from .NET
framework
* Uninstall IIS 5.1 completely, + delete all folders (inetpub) completely
* Uninstall C# completely.
* Delete the ASP.NET account
* Reinstall IIS (XP professional)
* Let C# 2003 install the .NET framework
* Install C#
* Any variations about the above steps
* I went to IIS right click on Default web site / all tasks / check server
extensions.
* I also tried the run 'aspnet_regiis -i'. trick in any variation possible
including the script thing that stops the service, deletes the ASP.NET
account,...

I am running out on inspiration. And I am not a IIS or ASP expert, (this is
why I try to learn this).
Does there not exist some tool that checks the configuration of IIS, ASP, C#
VS? Since this seems to be a very common problem when I search on the
Internet.
And so far many different solutions, but never a one fit for all solution.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Guest

SP2 betas are the likely problem here. In the current implementation, MS
warns you that SP2 uninstall munges .NET. I would suggest rebuilding the OS
completely, adding .NET and then applying SP2. Then, you need to leave it
alone.

In general, I do not advise betaware on any machine that you need for
development.

---

Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

***************************
Think Outside the Box!
***************************

Olaf Baeyens

Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer) - MVP said:
SP2 betas are the likely problem here. In the current implementation, MS
warns you that SP2 uninstall munges .NET. I would suggest rebuilding the OS
completely, adding .NET and then applying SP2. Then, you need to leave it
alone.

In general, I do not advise betaware on any machine that you need for
development.
Ok thanks, I knew what I was getting in to when I started with the beta. :)
I have now finally a direction to search for. Thanks.

Olaf Baeyens

SP2 betas are the likely problem here. In the current implementation, MS
Ok thanks, I knew what I was getting in to when I started with the beta. :)
I have now finally a direction to search for. Thanks.

Well I completely reinstalled Windows XP Pro, upgraded all SP and installed
C#, and it works again now.
Normally I do not like to reinstall everything since it take weeks to have
the computer set up again, and you still have no idea why I got that error.
It is running away from the problem instead of solving it.

But I am happy that it works. :)