EuroPython 2007 - call for refereed papers

Discussion in 'Python' started by arigo@tunes.org, Apr 24, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hi all,

    He're a reminder to submit a talk at EuroPython!

    Like each year, we have both the regular conference (see call at
    http://indico.cern.ch/conferenceCFA.py?confId=13919) and a somewhat
    separated Refereed Papers section. Here is the call for the latter.

    The deadline for both is the 18th of May.

    EuroPython 2007
    Vilnius, Lithuania 9-11 July

    Call for Refereed Papers

    http://www.europython.org/

    EuroPython is the only conference in the Python world that has a
    properly prestigious peer-reviewed forum for presenting technical and
    scientific papers. Such papers, with advanced and highly innovative
    contents, can equally well stem from academic research or industrial
    research. We think this is an important function for EuroPython, so we
    are even making some grants available to help people with travel costs.

    We will be happy to consider papers in subject areas including, but not
    necessarily limited to, the following:

    * Python language and implementations
    * Python modules (in the broadest sense)
    * Python extensions
    * Interoperation between Python and other languages / subsystems
    * Scientific applications of Python
    * Python in Education
    * Games
    * Agile Methodologies and Testing
    * Social Skills

    We are looking for Python-related scientific and technical papers of
    advanced, highly innovative content that present the results of original
    research (be it of the academic or "industrial research" kind), with
    proper attention to "state of the art" and previous relevant
    literature/results (whether such relevant previous literature is itself
    directly related to Python or not).

    We do not intend to let the specific subject area block a paper's
    acceptance, as long as the paper satisfies other requirements:
    innovative, Python-related, reflecting original research, with proper
    attention to previous literature.

    Abstracts
    =========

    Please submit abstracts of no more than 200 words to the refereeing
    committee. You can send submissions no later than 18 May 2007. We shall
    inform you whether your paper has been selected and announce the
    conference schedule on the 25 May 2007. For all details regarding the
    submission of abstracts, please see the EuroPython website
    (http://www.europython.org). WARNING: Independently of their topic, all
    abstracts must be submitted *in the Refereed Papers track* in order to
    be considered by the refereeing committee!

    If your abstract is accepted, you must submit your corresponding paper
    before 29 June 2006. Last-minute changes will be accepted until the start
    of the conference. You should submit the paper as a PDF file, in A4
    format, complete, "stand-alone", and readable on any standards-compliant
    PDF reader (basically, the paper must include all fonts and figures it
    uses, rather than using external pointers to them; by default, most
    PDF-preparation programs typically produce such valid "stand-alone" PDF
    documents). There are no strict typesetting rules.

    Refereeing
    ==========

    The refereeing committee, selected by Armin Rigo, will examine all
    abstracts and papers. The committee may consult external experts as it
    deems fit. Referees may suggest or require certain changes and editing
    in submissions, and make acceptance conditional on such changes being
    performed. We expect all papers to reflect the abstract as approved and
    reserve the right, at our discretion, to reject a paper, despite having
    accepted the corresponding abstract, if the paper does not substantially
    correspond to the approved abstract.

    Presentation
    ============

    The paper must be presented at EuroPython by one or more of the
    authors. Presentation time will be between half an hour and an hour,
    including time for questions and answers, depending on each paper's
    details, and also on the total number of talks approved for
    presentation.

    Proceedings
    ===========

    We will publish the conference's proceedings in purely electronic
    form. By presenting a paper, authors agree to give the EuroPython
    conference non-exclusive rights to publish the paper in electronic forms
    (including, but not limited to, partial and total publication on web
    sites and/or such media as CDROM and DVD-ROM), and warrant that the
    papers are not infringing on the rights of any third parties. Authors
    retain all other intellectual property rights on their submitted
    abstracts and papers excepting only this non-exclusive license.

    Subsidised travel
    =================

    We have funds available to subsidise travel costs for some presenters
    who would otherwise not be able to attend EuroPython. When submitting
    your abstract, please indicate if you would need such a subsidy as a
    precondition of being able to come and present your paper. (Yes, this
    possibility does exist even if you are coming from outside of
    Europe. Papers from people in New Zealand who can only come if their
    travel is subsidised, for example, would be just fine with us...).

    -+-

    Armin Rigo
    , Apr 24, 2007