FAQ needs update for JavaScript Definitive Guide

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by petermichaux@gmail.com, Sep 7, 2006.

  1. Guest

    >From the FAQ

    The only book currently endorsed by c.l.j. regulars is: JavaScript: The
    Definitive Guide, 4th Edition By David Flanagan ISBN:0-596-00048-0
    (Also by David Flanagan: JavaScript Pocket Reference, 2nd Edition. ISBN
    0-596-00411-7 for language and API reference alone).

    This book is now in 5th edition.

    -Peter
    , Sep 7, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > >From the FAQ

    > The only book currently endorsed by c.l.j. regulars is: JavaScript: The
    > Definitive Guide, 4th Edition By David Flanagan ISBN:0-596-00048-0
    > (Also by David Flanagan: JavaScript Pocket Reference, 2nd Edition. ISBN
    > 0-596-00411-7 for language and API reference alone).
    >
    > This book is now in 5th edition.

    But the FAQ remains factual until someone endorses the 5th edition. I
    haven't seen it yet.

    Richard.
    Richard Cornford, Sep 7, 2006

  3. Randy Webb Guest

    said the following on 9/7/2006 1:34 PM:
    >>From the FAQ

    > The only book currently endorsed by c.l.j. regulars is: JavaScript: The
    > Definitive Guide, 4th Edition By David Flanagan ISBN:0-596-00048-0
    > (Also by David Flanagan: JavaScript Pocket Reference, 2nd Edition. ISBN
    > 0-596-00411-7 for language and API reference alone).
    >
    > This book is now in 5th edition.

    And until it has been reviewed to make sure it lives up to the standards
    set by the 4th Edition the FAQ needs to stay as it is.

    --
    Randy
    Chance Favors The Prepared Mind
    Randy Webb, Sep 7, 2006

    Richard Cornford wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > >From the FAQ

    > > The only book currently endorsed by c.l.j. regulars is: JavaScript: The
    > > Definitive Guide, 4th Edition By David Flanagan ISBN:0-596-00048-0
    > > (Also by David Flanagan: JavaScript Pocket Reference, 2nd Edition. ISBN
    > > 0-596-00411-7 for language and API reference alone).
    > >
    > > This book is now in 5th edition.

    > But the FAQ remains factual until someone endorses the 5th edition. I
    > haven't seen it yet.

    Fair enough. Perhaps a note added to the faq that the forth is no
    longer available new and an unreviewed fifth edition is available.
    , Sep 7, 2006
  5. Jeremy Guest

    wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    > the forth is no longer available

    Hey, this is a Javascript group, not a forth group!

    I keed.
    Jeremy, Sep 7, 2006
  6. JRS: In article <>,
    dated Thu, 7 Sep 2006 10:47:59 remote, seen in
    news:comp.lang.javascript, Richard Cornford
    <> posted :
    > wrote:
    >> >From the FAQ

    >> The only book currently endorsed by c.l.j. regulars is: JavaScript: The
    >> Definitive Guide, 4th Edition By David Flanagan ISBN:0-596-00048-0
    >> (Also by David Flanagan: JavaScript Pocket Reference, 2nd Edition. ISBN
    >> 0-596-00411-7 for language and API reference alone).
    >>
    >> This book is now in 5th edition.

    >But the FAQ remains factual until someone endorses the 5th edition. I
    >haven't seen it yet.

    It does remain factual.

    But it's unreasonable to encourage the purchase of a 4th edition without
    mentioning that the 5th edition is imminent/published, so that the
    potential purchaser can make an informed choice.

    --
    © John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Delphi 3 Turnpike 4 ©
    <URL:http://www.bancoems.com/CompLangPascalDelphiMisc-MiniFAQ.htm> clpdmFAQ;
    Dr John Stockton, Sep 7, 2006