FAQ or not FAQ?

?

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Juli=E1n?= Albo

Hello.

The welcome message of this group says:

"The comp.lang.c++ FAQ is available at
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/"

However, nothing in that FAQ mentions that is FAQ of this newsgroup, it
calls itself "the C++ FAQ Lite". And the current thread about the [ ] [ ]
usages and others in the past shows that the document in question does not
refelect the consensus of the group, and thus does not play well the role
of FAQ of the group.

So I think that the quoted paragraph must be rewritten in order to not say
or give the impression that the C++ FAQ Lite is the FAQ of comp.lang.c++

Maybe we need a FAQ with just one point: "Is 'The C++ FAQ Lite' the FAQ of
comp.lang.c++?" ;-)

Noah Roberts

Julián Albo said:
Hello.

The welcome message of this group says:

"The comp.lang.c++ FAQ is available at
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/"

However, nothing in that FAQ mentions that is FAQ of this newsgroup, it
calls itself "the C++ FAQ Lite". And the current thread about the [ ] [ ]
usages and others in the past shows that the document in question does not
refelect the consensus of the group, and thus does not play well the role
of FAQ of the group.

So I think that the quoted paragraph must be rewritten in order to not say
or give the impression that the C++ FAQ Lite is the FAQ of comp.lang.c++

Maybe we need a FAQ with just one point: "Is 'The C++ FAQ Lite' the FAQ of
comp.lang.c++?" ;-)

This group is not moderated. Anyone can come in here and claim to have
written the newsgroup FAQ. The fact that nobody else has stepped up
and it keeps getting used by members in this group to answer questions
found within it show that it DOES reflect the concensus of the group.
The fact that a few people disagree very loudly about one particular
FAQ in it doesn't change this.

Victor Bazarov

Julián Albo said:
The welcome message of this group says:

"The comp.lang.c++ FAQ is available at
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/"

However, nothing in that FAQ mentions that is FAQ of this newsgroup,
it calls itself "the C++ FAQ Lite". And the current thread about the
[ ] [ ] usages and others in the past shows that the document in
question does not refelect the consensus of the group, and thus does
not play well the role of FAQ of the group.

So I think that the quoted paragraph must be rewritten in order to
not say or give the impression that the C++ FAQ Lite is the FAQ of
comp.lang.c++

Maybe we need a FAQ with just one point: "Is 'The C++ FAQ Lite' the
FAQ of comp.lang.c++?" ;-)

In most cases the "C++ FAQ Lite" list (maintained by Marshall Cline)
acurately reflects the FAQ in c.l.c++. As to the answers, they can
be changed, contact Marshall Cline for that. As to the Welcome
message, it's here for convenience, and does reflect the consensus
about what to consider c.l.c++ FAQ, IMO. But we'll see, I guess...

Alf P. Steinbach

* Julián Albo:
Hello.

The welcome message of this group says:

"The comp.lang.c++ FAQ is available at
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/"

However, nothing in that FAQ mentions that is FAQ of this newsgroup, it
calls itself "the C++ FAQ Lite". And the current thread about the [ ] [ ]
usages and others in the past shows that the document in question does not
refelect the consensus of the group, and thus does not play well the role
of FAQ of the group.

So I think that the quoted paragraph must be rewritten in order to not say
or give the impression that the C++ FAQ Lite is the FAQ of comp.lang.c++

Maybe we need a FAQ with just one point: "Is 'The C++ FAQ Lite' the FAQ of
comp.lang.c++?" ;-)

To be precise, it is the FAQ of [comp.lang.c++.moderated]; see <url:
http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm>.

But as the FAQ of [comp.lang.c++.moderated] it serves well also as the
FAQ of [comp.lang.c++].

And, unless I've got my history entirely wrong, it became the FAQ of
[comp.lang.c++.moderated] because it was widely recognized as the FAQ of
[comp.lang.c++], and not surprisingly it's still widely recognized as
the FAQ of [comp.lang.c++]. But of course for this non-moderated group
it's all in the group mind ;-), it's all about recognition by the
community. If, say, Marshall for some reason was unable to maintain the
FAQ, and someone else took over, and the FAQ degenerated, and enough of
us then started referring to some other FAQ (that's a lot of
concatenated if's), then that other FAQ would be this group's FAQ, or
perhaps we'd then have two or more FAQs of quality like the current, and
then probably [comp.lang.c++.moderated] would follow suit.

Daniel T.

Julián Albo said:
The welcome message of this group says:

"The comp.lang.c++ FAQ is available at
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/"

However, nothing in that FAQ mentions that is FAQ of this newsgroup, it
calls itself "the C++ FAQ Lite". And the current thread about the [ ] [ ]
usages and others in the past shows that the document in question does not
refelect the consensus of the group, and thus does not play well the role
of FAQ of the group.

So I think that the quoted paragraph must be rewritten in order to not say
or give the impression that the C++ FAQ Lite is the FAQ of comp.lang.c++

Maybe we need a FAQ with just one point: "Is 'The C++ FAQ Lite' the FAQ of
comp.lang.c++?" ;-)

There are things in the FAQ Lite that I don't agree with. With such an
extensive FAQ I expect there are things that many people don't agree
with. There are even things in it that the likes of Sutter and
Alexandrescu don't agree with.

I know of three FAQs for the C++ language. The one mentioned above,
http://www.comeaucomputing.com/techtalk/ and
http://www.research.att.com/~bs/bs_faq2.html. There is also Marshall
Cline's book C++ FAQs. There are also lots of sites like
http://www.cppreference.com/ and http://www.dinkumware.com/manuals/
which offer guidance but not in a Q&A format.

Every website including the FAQ Lite will reflect the prejudices,
experience and bias of the author. If you wish to author and maintain an
FAQ, I would love to read it and would be happy to contribute. :)

Please understand Julián, this is not a moderated forum. There is no one
"in charge". Even the welcome message you speak of (I'm assuming you are
talking about the one that Shiva posts periodically) is just one
person's opinion.

?

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Juli=E1n?= Albo

Noah said:
This group is not moderated. Anyone can come in here and claim to have
written the newsgroup FAQ.

Yes. Are you proposing such type of solution?
The fact that nobody else has stepped up and it keeps getting used
by members in this group to answer questions found within it show
that it DOES reflect the concensus of the group.

It does not shows such thing. Just shows that some points reflects it. Given
that reasoning, TC++PL can be also be announced as the FAQ of the group.
The fact that a few people disagree very loudly about one particular
FAQ in it doesn't change this.

The fact that a FAQ generates endlessly repetitions of the same type of
mesages instead of contribute to avoid him, change the purpose of the FAQ
concept.

?

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Juli=E1n?= Albo

Daniel said:
Please understand Julián, this is not a moderated forum. There is no one
"in charge". Even the welcome message you speak of (I'm assuming you are
talking about the one that Shiva posts periodically) is just one
person's opinion.

I understand that. I'm just expressing my opinion that the current situation
present some problems, and that a tiny change of words in some messages can
aminorate it. This is not an attempt to disqualify the content of the C++
Lite FAQ or blame his author, is a constructive proposal. And I don't call
for an authority that imposes an official FAQ document, just for some
reflexion.

?

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Juli=E1n?= Albo

Victor said:
In most cases the "C++ FAQ Lite" list (maintained by Marshall Cline)
acurately reflects the FAQ in c.l.c++.

Yes, but a few are unnecessary polemic, and I think the cause of the
polemics can be his inadequate presentation as *the* FAQ of the group and a
little change will be useful. I can be wrong, of course.
As to the Welcome message, it's here for convenience, and does reflect
the consensus about what to consider c.l.c++ FAQ, IMO. But we'll see, I
guess...

This is what I consider a problem, that the consensus looks to be not wide
enough, or maybe the consensus is more in the idea that is a good C++ FAQ
than in that is the group FAQ.

Victor Bazarov

Julián Albo said:
Yes, but a few are unnecessary polemic, and I think the cause of the
polemics can be his inadequate presentation as *the* FAQ of the group
and a little change will be useful. I can be wrong, of course.

This is what I consider a problem, that the consensus looks to be not
wide enough, or maybe the consensus is more in the idea that is a
good C++ FAQ than in that is the group FAQ.

Historically speaking, when article retention on newsservers was the
only source of past posts for Usenetizens, FAQ made sense and there was
a need in it. Right now, with Google Groups (inheriting from DejaNews)
the archives make existense of FAQ more trouble than its worth.

FAQ and FGA (Frequently Given Answers) are moving targets. Either the
lists have to be constantly changed or we accept discrepancies. Simple
as that. And when nobody really has the time or the motivation to keep
FAQ lists up to date, and considering the diversity of *available*
sources of information, the expectations need to be lowered.

?

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Juli=E1n?= Albo

Victor said:
FAQ and FGA (Frequently Given Answers) are moving targets. Either the
lists have to be constantly changed or we accept discrepancies. Simple
as that. And when nobody really has the time or the motivation to keep
FAQ lists up to date, and considering the diversity of *available*
sources of information, the expectations need to be lowered.

Maybe there is no practical solution, and maybe the problem is unimportant,
people can just ignore long threads that have no interest to him. However,
I still think that a few change of words can give some benefit.

Noah Roberts

Julián Albo said:
Maybe there is no practical solution, and maybe the problem is unimportant,
people can just ignore long threads that have no interest to him. However,
I still think that a few change of words can give some benefit.

If you told people that the sky is often blue the cances are high that
at least one would retort that you are mistaken - it is often grey.
This doesn't mean that you are wrong or being unclear.

Daniel T.

Julián Albo said:
I understand that. I'm just expressing my opinion that the current situation
present some problems, and that a tiny change of words in some messages can
aminorate it. This is not an attempt to disqualify the content of the C++
Lite FAQ or blame his author, is a constructive proposal. And I don't call
for an authority that imposes an official FAQ document, just for some
reflexion.

Julián, the solution is simple. Create an FAQ with the questions you
feel are asked frequently and inadequately answered in one of the other
FAQs, then when someone asks a question that your FAQ covers, refer them
to it. Also, periodically post your FAQ to the newsgroup for peer review.

Others who like your answers will also begin to refer to your FAQ when
helping new people. Those new people will also use your FAQ, and so on.
Who knows, maybe your FAQ will one day supplant Marshall's as "the FAQ"!

?

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Juli=E1n?= Albo

Noah said:
If you told people that the sky is often blue the cances are high that
at least one would retort that you are mistaken - it is often grey.
This doesn't mean that you are wrong or being unclear.

True. But if a significant number of people says the same, chances are high
that you were less clear than intended.

?

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Juli=E1n?= Albo

Daniel said:
Julián, the solution is simple. Create an FAQ with the questions you
feel are asked frequently and inadequately answered in one of the other
FAQs, then when someone asks a question that your FAQ covers, refer them
to it. Also, periodically post your FAQ to the newsgroup for peer review.

I doubt that having two FAQ and two groups arguing against or defending one
or the other will be a solution desired by any other than those that like
repeating again and again the same debate with the same arguments.... vi or
emacs?

Daniel T.

Julián Albo said:
I doubt that having two FAQ and two groups arguing against or defending one
or the other will be a solution desired by any other than those that like
repeating again and again the same debate with the same arguments.... vi or
emacs?

I thought your goal was to build consensus. I'm not suggesting you write
a diatribe against the current FAQ, I'm suggesting you write a fair
balanced report on the issues that concern you. If you do that, then
people on both sides will prefer your answer to the one(s) currently
available.

Writing an FAQ is hard, maintaining it is hard, and promoting it is
hard. If you don't want to do that, I can understand why.

?

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Juli=E1n?= Albo

Daniel said:
I thought your goal was to build consensus.

Not exactly. The goal is that the FAQ of a group reflect his existent
consensus.
I'm suggesting you write a fair balanced report on the issues that
concern you.

Thanks for your confiance in my capabilities, but I don't share it.

Daniel T.

Julián Albo said:
Not exactly. The goal is that the FAQ of a group reflect his existent
consensus.

Unless the consensus matches Marshall's opinion, your asking a lot. :)
Thanks for your confiance in my capabilities, but I don't share it.

Don't worry about it. I've maintained FAQs before, not for anything as
high volume as this but even so, it isn't easy to do.

Another option would be to simply use google.groups to refer people back
to the threads where you answered the question before. In a way, you are
creating an FAQ every time you answer a question. :)

?

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Juli=E1n?= Albo

Daniel said:
Don't worry about it. I've maintained FAQs before, not for anything as
high volume as this but even so, it isn't easy to do.
Another option would be to simply use google.groups to refer people back
to the threads where you answered the question before.

In fact we are already doing it... even inside the same thread :D