FAQ or not FAQ?

Lionel B

Not exactly. The goal is that the FAQ of a group reflect his existent
consensus.

I seems to me that a FAQ may need to handle situations where there simply
*isn't* reasoned consensus (the [][] vs. (,) debate being arguably a case
in point). Then perhaps the best a FAQ can do is to state clearly the
conflicting views and let the reader decide.

?

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Juli=E1n?= Albo

Lionel said:
Not exactly. The goal is that the FAQ of a group reflect his existent
consensus.
I seems to me that a FAQ may need to handle situations where there simply
*isn't* reasoned consensus (the [][] vs. (,) debate being arguably a case
in point). Then perhaps the best a FAQ can do is to state clearly the
conflicting views and let the reader decide.

I agree, I don't expressed well my point. It must reflect consensus in
points were claims there are one majoritary preferred way. In Questions
were there are not consensus but are Frequentely Answered certainly must
say something, or will not be a FAQ.

Grizlyk

Lionel said:
I seems to me that a FAQ may need to handle situations where there simply
*isn't* reasoned consensus (the [][] vs. (,) debate being arguably a case
in point). Then perhaps the best a FAQ can do is to state clearly the
conflicting views and let the reader decide.

It easy can be implemented, for example like this:

1. Marshall Cline declare rules "how alternative opinion must be
http-maked for the any required FAQ topic";
2. You make own hosted page in accordance to the rules;
3. You post letter to Marshall Cline in order to add your page to
"alternatives" selector for the concrete topic on main FAQ page;
4. If Marshall Cline can understand, that
a) your page is C++ related,
b) your page was correct http-maked and accessible,
c) your opinion does not contradict C++ standard (used and pointed
by you)
and does not repeat both '"what" and "why" of already existing
pages
he will add you page.
5. You must support hosting of your page and post to Marshall Cline if
your page is no longer exist or was seriously changed.

And all will be happy (excepting Marshall Cline).

Daniel T.

Grizlyk said:
Lionel said:
[...]

The above would only work for those that are willing/able to write FAQs,
not for those who are only willing/able to complain about FAQs written
by others.

Daniel T.

Noah Roberts said:
Daniel T. wrote:

Why not a wiki?

Same problem. When dealing with people who don't like the answers given
in the FAQ, and are unwilling/unable to provide an alternative answer,
any solution that requires them to write an answer doesn't work.

Grizlyk

Daniel said:
The above would only work for those that are willing/able to write FAQs,

As i can understand, it is only problem, that people can not say own
opinion and very very suffering for it.

Daniel T.

Grizlyk said:
As i can understand, it is only problem, that people can not say own
opinion and very very suffering for it.

Of course people can say their own opinion, they do it every time they
post in this group.

Grizlyk

Daniel said:
Of course people can say their own opinion, they do it every time they
post in this group.

There are differences between "post in FAQ" and "post in this group".
But in the case it does not metter _for me_, becouse I am not C++
expert, just C++ user and I am not going to maintain C++ FAQ. I just
introduce a kind of good "democratic" solution of the trouble, the
trouble which has selected _not_ by me.