Favorite Ruby Editors (or IDE)

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by H. Simpson, Aug 2, 2004.

  1. H. Simpson

    H. Simpson Guest

    H. Simpson, Aug 2, 2004

  2. H. Simpson

    David Ross Guest

    I personally use Emacs in the console and sometimes in
    X. There is a ruby-mode.el in the ruby-stable
    snapshot. I think it is written by matz. I am curious
    of Matz uses emacs or just wrote the script for fun.
    Emacs syntax highlighting is great. Learning emacs is
    a big learning curve, but worth it. It lets you have
    uber speed at all the keybinds. There is an IDE for
    Emacs that works in the console and in GUI form called
    "ECB"
    The Emacs Code Browser. It is fairly decent.

    http://ecb.sourceforge.net/

    There is also great vim support, vim has a IDE
    enviroment just like emacs, it is called, "taglist".

    http://www.geocities.com/yegappan/taglist/

    These are the two main ones I consider good for coding
    in. ECB does not have support for Ruby though. You can
    add it in if you have a little extra time to read
    semantics document on lexing in Ruby. --David

    http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

    David Ross, Aug 2, 2004

  3. Don't forget the Arachno IDE:
    http://www.scriptolutions.com/arachno_ruby.php
    Also bbedit:
    http://www.barebones.com/index.shtml
    and jedit:
    http://www.jedit.org/
    looks like you already mentioned vim.... tied with bbedit for my
    favorite editor, not so much IDEs though.
    -Charlie

    Charles Mills, Aug 2, 2004
  4. Hi,

    In message "Re: Favorite Ruby Editors (or IDE)"
    on 04/08/02, David Ross <> writes:

    |I am curious
    |of Matz uses emacs or just wrote the script for fun.

    I wrote ruby-mode.el; I live in Emacs; I program in Emacs; I debug in
    Emacs; I read mails in Emacs; I wrote MUA for Emacs.

    matz.

    Yukihiro Matsumoto, Aug 2, 2004
  5. H. Simpson

    David Ross Guest

    Matz, as do I. I like having everything in one
    program. It just performs better than switching to
    countless apps. :) I thought you used emacs. --David
    Ross

    David Ross, Aug 2, 2004
  6. I've been using the Ruby plugin for eclipse
    (http://rubyeclipse.sf.net). It still needs some work but it's coming
    along nicely

    Farrel Lifson, Aug 2, 2004
  7. H. Simpson

    David Morton Guest

    H. Simpson wrote:
    > What is your favorite editor or IDE for programming in Ruby?

    Quanta Plus and Kate both use the same KDE editing tools, I believe, and
    they both have some ruby highlighting.

    I've been programming rails lately, so quanta plus has been fantastic.

    David Morton, Aug 2, 2004
  8. H. Simpson

    Tim Hunter Guest

    OT: Quanta Plus (was Re: Favorite Ruby Editors (or IDE)

    On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 23:42:00 +0900, David Morton <>
    wrote:

    >I've been programming rails lately, so quanta plus has been fantastic.

    I'll second this. Quanta Plus (part of KDE) is a wonderful HTML
    editor. I use it exclusively to hand-code the RMagick documentation.
    It's very easy to customize. I've got toolbar buttons that run Ruby
    scripts to inject common HTML snippets into the file.

    Tim Hunter, Aug 2, 2004
  9. H. Simpson

    David Ross Guest

    > Quanta Plus and Kate both use the same KDE editing
    > tools, I believe, and
    > they both have some ruby highlighting.

    Don't forget about mentioning kdevelop. It has all the
    GUI easy click tools from cvs to subversion, debug
    output, file views, project template support, etc.
    Kdevelop is the best free IDE KDE has. It has been
    really supportive in the past, mainly because they use
    it to write the KDE code in. As well as the
    freebsd-kde hackers :)

    http://kdevelop.kde.org/

    - 15 supported languages including Ada, C, C++,
    Objective-C (via C support), SQL, Fortran, Haskell,
    Java, PHP, Pascal, Perl, Python, Ruby, Bash, XUL
    (unofficially).

    - Automatic code completion and code hinting for class
    variables, methods, function arguments and more.

    - Source formatting, syntax highlighting and code
    folding.

    It is a decent IDE, and I used to use it once and a
    while to try out what it had. Emacs fan though I am :)

    --David Ross

    http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

    David Ross, Aug 2, 2004
  10. Hello David,

    DR> Kdevelop is the best free IDE KDE has.

    Is there a second KDE IDE ?

    DR> - Automatic code completion and code hinting for class
    DR> variables, methods, function arguments and more.

    There is support for Ruby ?

    If nothing happened lately ruby users only get a not very
    sophisticated syntax highlighting (and of course all the
    language independent features).

    Lothar Scholz http://www.ruby-ide.com

    Lothar Scholz, Aug 2, 2004
  11. H. Simpson

    Ben Giddings Guest

    Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
    > I wrote ruby-mode.el; I live in Emacs; I program in Emacs; I debug in
    > Emacs; I read mails in Emacs; I wrote MUA for Emacs.

    Yay! Finally a conclusion for the eternal "which is better, vi or
    Emacs" debate. *grin*

    But more seriously, it's really great to have the author of a language
    use the same editor I use when I'm developing in the language.

    Matz: is your .emacs file available somewhere online? I imagine if
    there are any tweaks to ruby-mode, or to using Emacs and Ruby together
    you probably have them installed. I'd be curious to see if I'm missing
    anything.

    Ben

    Ben Giddings, Aug 2, 2004
  12. H. Simpson

    David Morton Guest

    Re: OT: Quanta Plus (was Re: Favorite Ruby Editors (or IDE)

    Tim Hunter wrote:
    > On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 23:42:00 +0900, David Morton <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I've been programming rails lately, so quanta plus has been fantastic.
    >>

    > I'll second this. Quanta Plus (part of KDE) is a wonderful HTML
    > editor. I use it exclusively to hand-code the RMagick documentation.
    > It's very easy to customize. I've got toolbar buttons that run Ruby
    > scripts to inject common HTML snippets into the file.

    Toolbar macros? that's nifty. :)

    One note to anyone trying it out... I had some stability issues with
    suse 9.1's version, but when I compiled it by hand, it seems to be
    working much better.

    David Morton, Aug 2, 2004
  13. H. Simpson

    David Ross Guest

    TROLL points! oh man. You screwed the pooch by even
    replying to that email. You want to know why? Because
    kdevelop has had really good syntax highlighting for
    ruby for a while.

    http://www.deviantart.com/view/9432772/

    You Lothar_troll are the biggest troller I have ever
    seen, I really don't see why anyone even reads these
    emails of yours. You only try to down others projects.

    TROLL point count: 2

    Now, the best thing for you to ever do is not even
    talk about other people projects. I doubt you are a
    professional coder, or ever will be. You seem to
    always talk bad about everything. Thanks for screwing
    the pooch big time.

    Take your trollish commercial sheepfucker ass
    somewhere else and stop being an asshole.

    --David Ross

    http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo

    David Ross, Aug 3, 2004
  14. ruby-talk vs. ruby-curse (was Re: Favorite Ruby Editors (or IDE))

    I thought that ruby-talk was one of the few places where I could avoid
    this junk. I mean seriously, it hurts my virtual ears. The poster
    unwittingly did a lot more to reduce his own reputation than to trash
    someone else's.

    Carl Youngblood, Aug 3, 2004
  15. H. Simpson

    David Ross Guest

    KDevelop, WideStudio, IDE interfacing

    1) How to get your Kdevelop to look "pretty" and
    HL'ed.
    2) How to interface Kedit into WideStudio

    Note: kdevelop uses kate. You are supposed to be able
    to select any editor you want, but I use kate.

    - Run kdevelop, wait for it to finish opening
    - Click settings, configure editor
    - On the left, there is a bar menu. select
    highlighting
    - click download
    - scroll down. Make sure you have the latest version
    of ruby syntax highlighting. If not, click ruby then
    click install.
    - close and reopen kdevelop
    - click settings, then configure editor again
    - click schema on the left.
    - click highlight text styles
    - click the dropdown box, select Scripts/ruby
    - Now you can change the highlighting colors

    By default most of dark, bold, or black. I perfer a
    colorful IDE. Again, I use emacs, but I have to know
    how to work most popular interface.

    Ok this is fun, we have WSBuilder, and any text editor
    will do. (even vi) I will talk how to have a nice text
    editor for WideStudio.
    Note: I tried using Kdevelop for the editor, but it
    would open a new instance of the IDE. If someone knows
    how to call a file in an existing running application
    please tell.

    - Open wsbuilder
    - click Option(O)
    - click Enviroment(E)
    - click Enviroments tab
    - change the 'source editor' value to 'kate'
    - click ok

    now you can double click the procedures you created in
    'Procedures' tab to attach code.

    Kate can open multiple files in 1 window. Use the
    Arrow buttons at the top to switch to each file when
    opening multiple files.

    http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

    David Ross, Aug 3, 2004
  16. Hello David,

    DR> http://www.deviantart.com/view/9432772/

    You should learn to read. This may help
    I talked about sophisticated syntax highlighting. So whats about
    detecting the different ways to quote strings or regexprs, escaping
    from strings back to ruby, or the correct handling of "here docs" ?

    Last time i looked at kdevelop the syntax highlighter was no as good as
    VIM oder emacs, it was more compareable to the Scintilla one.

    And i said that that some of your mentioned features was irrelevant
    for persons who are looking for ruby editors because they are not
    available for ruby.

    So what the hell is your problem ?

    Lothar Scholz http://www.ruby-ide.com

    Lothar Scholz, Aug 3, 2004
  17. H. Simpson

    David Ross Guest

    Fine, I will send patches if it will shut you up. Kate
    highlighting is upgradable without touching the system
    files.

    --David Ross
    --- Lothar Scholz <>

    http://messenger.yahoo.com

    David Ross, Aug 3, 2004
  18. On Tuesday, August 3, 2004, 9:17:48 AM, David wrote:

    > TROLL points! oh man.

    David, get a grip, for crying out loud. Your troll radar seriously
    needs some calibration. Repeat after me: "Lothar is not a troll."

    > Take your trollish commercial sheepfucker ass
    > somewhere else and stop being an asshole.

    Same to you. Nearly all of your comments match your name: dross.

    Gavin

    Gavin Sinclair, Aug 3, 2004
  19. H. Simpson

    David Ross Guest

    David Ross, Aug 3, 2004
  20. Re: ruby-talk vs. ruby-curse (was Re: Favorite Ruby Editors (orIDE))

    On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 02:41, Carl Youngblood wrote:
    > The poster unwittingly did a lot more to reduce his own reputation than to trash
    > someone else's.

    +1

    Alexey Verkhovsky, Aug 3, 2004