    Thanks,

    Peter Vermeer

    , Nov 6, 2005

  2. JScoobyCed Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Can anyone tell me if a Java SDK for a fingerprint reader for MacOS
    > exists?
    > For research, I want to develope an application in Java that uses a
    > fingerprint reader under MacOS X. Until now I could only find one Java
    > SDK for different fingerprint readers. But it works apparently only for
    > Windows: http://www.griaule.com/en/fingerprint_recognition_sdk.php#2
    >
    > Does anyone has any recommendations?
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Peter Vermeer

    Most fingerprint reader are USB, so you will hardly find a pure Java
    SDK. Now some manufacturer might have a Java SDK that you can get/buy
    from them. But what you are asking is not really possible today:
    fingerprint reader manufacturers didn't define any standard protocol to
    interface their hardware (but there are standard fingerprint formats, to
    represent the fingerprint themselves, not the communication to the device).
    Unless you find a fingerprint reader with Serial connector or Network
    card, I doubt you will be able to connect the device without the
    manufacturer help (or reverse engineering of the USB port communication)
    There are some Java API for the USB communication, but I don't know much
    about it.

    Good luck.
    --
    JSC