MacOS version 10.5

Francois Lionet

Hello,

I have just bought a Mac mini in order to develop my Java application on it
(so far, I was on PC).
The SDK installed by default on MacOS10.5 is JavaSE 1.4.2. I need 1.5. But
the only version of Java 1.5 I find on Apple.com is a version for 64 bits
processors!
Does anyone know the link to the 32bits version? Does it exist? If not, any
idea when it will be out?

Thanks, Francois

Patrick Stadelmann

"Francois Lionet said:
The SDK installed by default on MacOS10.5 is JavaSE 1.4.2.

Mac OS X 10.5 comes with both 1.4.2 and 1.5. The default is 1.5 but this
can be changed. Maybe your system is set to use 1.4.2, but 1.5 should
also be installed.

You can choose the default version with the "Java Preferences"
application locates in /Applications/Utilities/Java.
I need 1.5. But
the only version of Java 1.5 I find on Apple.com is a version for 64 bits
processors!

The only Java update I know of that is specific to 64-bit Intel
processor is to provide support for Java 1.6 in Mac OS X 10.5.

Patrick

John B. Matthews

"Peter Duniho said:
"Command-line only": talking about the compiler there, I mean. Obviously
a full run-time includes GUI support.

If I may amplify: Mac OS X includes a full suite of Java runtime and GUI
development tools. The runtime automatically uses the Mac look-and-feel,
unless the application specifies another. The vendor supplied IDE,
Xcode, includes a selection of familiar example Java applications and
applets; but the installation is optional. Both NetBeans and Eclipse
(and I imagine others) can use the installed JDK.

I have one project that includes both an ant script as well as a
NetBeans project and Xcode project that use use the ant targets!

Kevin McMurtrie

"Francois Lionet said:
Hello,

I have just bought a Mac mini in order to develop my Java application on it
(so far, I was on PC).
The SDK installed by default on MacOS10.5 is JavaSE 1.4.2. I need 1.5. But
the only version of Java 1.5 I find on Apple.com is a version for 64 bits
processors!
Does anyone know the link to the 32bits version? Does it exist? If not, any
idea when it will be out?

Thanks, Francois

You must first download and install the XCode package (~1GB) to have a
complete development environment. Run Software Update when it's done to
catch up on patches. That will install Java 1.5.0_13 with 32 bit and,
if possible, 64 bit runtimes.

John B. Matthews

"Peter Duniho said:
[...]
It's been a while, but for someone desiring to use an IDE, I know
that Eclipse used to work.

For the record: I use Eclipse and it works fine. Better than Xcode, in my
opinion.

I like the Xcode design tools, but I have to agree about Eclipse. It
keeps me out of CVS purgatory, too!
My recollection is also that NetBeans works on Mac too, but I don't have
first-hand confirmation of that.

NetBeans 6.1 runs nicely.
No doubt one can write a complete Java application without an IDE, but I
find the IDE makes things so much nicer. :)

Pete: I didn't know you used Mac. Sorry if "carried coals to Newcastle"
earlier in the thread. :)

Kevin McMurtrie

"Steve W. Jackson said:
If the OP has Mac OS X 10.5, then he already has Java 1.5 installed. I
don't recall whether there's been an update to it since, but it's there.
There would've been a Software Update entry for it if it was updated.
There was also a Java 1.6 release, but it was only for more recent Intel
systems that are 64-bit -- many are complaining about that fact.

And while XCode *can* be used for Java development, many don't recommend
it. I've tried it on a very small scale and can't offer anything really
useful. Apple doesn't address it well and tends to steer everything
toward Cocoa, Objective-C and related tools. But it's quite possible to
do full command line development without any need for XCode or any other
GUI. It's been a while, but for someone desiring to use an IDE, I know
that Eclipse used to work. And from what I've seen on Apple's Java
developer mailing list, I think that Netbeans might also work. Maybe
the OP should check that list (or its archives) for insights.

The XCode IDE is lipstick on a chicken. You'll spend hours trying to
make it work and then realize that the antiquated command line tools
lurking under the covers would have been much easier to use directly.

You need to install XCode because it has the full SDKs and documentation
that aren't included with a clean system. You can run into odd problems
with missing files developing without it. Some of the included
debugging tools are excellent.

Arne Vajhøj

Peter said:
"Command-line only": talking about the compiler there, I mean.
Obviously a full run-time includes GUI support.

Java compilers are for all practical purposes always command line.

Arne