Flash

David Graham

HI
I know this is not the correct group but I have had a poor response in
Macromedia Flash group. Basically, I would love to download a trial version
of Flash MX 2004 but it no longer exists on the Macromedia/Adobe website. I
was wondering if some kind sole in this group who may have a copy of the
trial version could make it available for me to download. I want this
version of Flash becuase I have been following a tutorial video on Flash MX
2004 and I would like to try out some of the exercises in the video for
myself.
regards
David Graham

Travis Newbury

David said:
I know this is not the correct group but I have had a poor response in
Macromedia Flash group. Basically, I would love to download a trial version
of Flash MX 2004 but it no longer exists on the Macromedia/Adobe website. I
was wondering if some kind sole in this group who may have a copy of the
trial version could make it available for me to download. I want this
version of Flash becuase I have been following a tutorial video on Flash MX
2004 and I would like to try out some of the exercises in the video for
myself.

You should be able to do the tutorial with the newest version. It is
backwards compatible, the gui did not change really, and you can
publish it for mx2004 if you like.

David Graham

Travis Newbury said:
You should be able to do the tutorial with the newest version. It is
backwards compatible, the gui did not change really, and you can
publish it for mx2004 if you like.

Hi
Thanks for the info on the gui not changing much. I am on dial up so find it
hard to download apps of large size. A bit of a long shot, but do you know
of any mags etc that might have put a CD out with Flash Pro 8 trial on it?
regards
David Graham

Travis Newbury

David said:
Thanks for the info on the gui not changing much. I am on dial up so find it
hard to download apps of large size. A bit of a long shot, but do you know
of any mags etc that might have put a CD out with Flash Pro 8 trial on it?
regards

I don't know where you are, but in the US at Borders book store and
Barns and Nobles (I have seen them in other book stores too), there is
an over sized mag from the UK that deals with Web development, and
another that deals with Flash Development. They cost about $11 apiece.
I don't remember the names of the mags, but they are in the computer
section.

Anyway, they always have a CD that comes with the mag, and it almost
always has a demo of the latest version of flash

David Graham

Travis Newbury said:
I don't know where you are, but in the US at Borders book store and
Barns and Nobles (I have seen them in other book stores too), there is
an over sized mag from the UK that deals with Web development, and
another that deals with Flash Development. They cost about $11 apiece.
I don't remember the names of the mags, but they are in the computer
section.

Anyway, they always have a CD that comes with the mag, and it almost
always has a demo of the latest version of flash
Thanks Travis - in the UK here though

Brian Cryer

David Graham said:
HI
I know this is not the correct group but I have had a poor response in
Macromedia Flash group. Basically, I would love to download a trial
version
of Flash MX 2004 but it no longer exists on the Macromedia/Adobe website.
was wondering if some kind sole in this group who may have a copy of the
trial version could make it available for me to download. I want this
version of Flash becuase I have been following a tutorial video on Flash
MX
2004 and I would like to try out some of the exercises in the video for
myself.
regards
David Graham

Go to http://www.soft32.com/download_353.html. Its a 46.2MB download.

Given your comment (other thread) that you are on dial-up, this is probably
too big. If you can't get it on a cover magazine, drop me an email and if
you cover the cost I'll copy it to cd and pop it in the post.

dorayme

"Brian Cryer said:
Given your comment (other thread) that you are on dial-up, this is probably
too big. If you can't get it on a cover magazine, drop me an email and if
you cover the cost I'll copy it to cd and pop it in the post.

Depends on the dial up. On the one I had - actually I keep it on
and use it for the occasional forays on my Windows box because I
am not sure how how to connect it to my broadband router and for
other reasons - you could reliably download almost any amount.
You just do it and piss off for a few hours. You have to sleep,
so that is a good time.

Brian Cryer

dorayme said:
Depends on the dial up. On the one I had - actually I keep it on
and use it for the occasional forays on my Windows box because I
am not sure how how to connect it to my broadband router and for
other reasons - you could reliably download almost any amount.
You just do it and piss off for a few hours. You have to sleep,
so that is a good time.

You clearly have a good and reliable dial-up. When I was on dial up at home
(which likewise I still use occasionally for various reasons) I did find it
generally reliable, although I do recall a time when someone had sent me a
4MB file to my inbox and the line kept on dropping out while I was
downloading it - plus I only had a 28.8kbps modem at the time. Very
frustrating. The biggest problem I had with dial-up was that it blocked up
the phone, and that was the reason I switched to broadband.

Even with a reliable dial-up, to download a 46.2MB file over a 56kbps
connection (on paper) would take at least a two and a half days. I suppose
set it going and then go away for the weekend!

David Graham

If you can't get it on a cover magazine, drop me an email and if
you cover the cost I'll copy it to cd and pop it in the post.
Replied to your email address - many thanks
David Graham

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
Depends on the dial up. On the one I had - actually I keep it on
and use it for the occasional forays on my Windows box because I
am not sure how how to connect it to my broadband router

Not sure why you would have trouble, networking is one thing that MS
does easily. Most routers have a DHCP servers and Window's default setup
is for dynamically assigned IP. Basically all you have to do is connect
the Ethernet card to the switch port on the router and you connected,
even for old Win95-98. If you originally had a dialup connection on the
box you can either delete the connectoid in Dialup Networking or in
Internet Options under Connections select option "Never dial a
connection" to prevent routing to your dialup connection.

dorayme

"Brian Cryer said:
You clearly have a good and reliable dial-up. When I was on dial up at home
(which likewise I still use occasionally for various reasons) I did find it
generally reliable, although I do recall a time when someone had sent me a
4MB file to my inbox and the line kept on dropping out while I was
downloading it

All bets are off as far as email is concerned!

- plus I only had a 28.8kbps modem at the time. Very
frustrating. The biggest problem I had with dial-up was that it blocked up
the phone, and that was the reason I switched to broadband.

Even with a reliable dial-up, to download a 46.2MB file over a 56kbps
connection (on paper) would take at least a two and a half days. I suppose
set it going and then go away for the weekend!

No, these figures are not at all in my experience... nothing
like!

My most famous download was when I moved to OS X and was startled
to find that Apple was heavily into MS type patches! Big regular
ones! I got 140MB overnight fine. Yes, 56K modem and alleged
connection. Average was about 2 to 3k per sec download. Maybe
overnight it was better? Anyway, I just caught the end of the
process when I got up, most pleasing!

In general i would download tons of stuff over the years, even
trailers of "medium" size by the expedient of doing it when not
at the machine, when eating, sleeping, shopping etc (if anyone
wants a fuller list of activities, just ask <g>)

dorayme

"Jonathan N. Little said:
Not sure why you would have trouble, networking is one thing that MS
does easily. Most routers have a DHCP servers and Window's default setup
is for dynamically assigned IP. Basically all you have to do is connect
the Ethernet card to the switch port on the router and you connected,
even for old Win95-98. If you originally had a dialup connection on the
box you can either delete the connectoid in Dialup Networking or in
Internet Options under Connections select option "Never dial a
connection" to prevent routing to your dialup connection.

Bit more complicated situation, reason why the lazy martian body
and brain has not got around to it.

First, there is no ethernet card in it. Yes, I could buy one.
easy to fit.

It has USB1 (the cheek of the friend who gave it me! He took out
the USB2 card! But I can't really complain, it is a magnificent
setup with Windows 2000 and supports my usb sticks so much better
than my old 98 box). USB2 may not be a big inhibiting factor in
networking... I am coming to the point, be patient Jonathan. My
router does have a USB connection and is exactly the same type
that the owner of this box used to broadband it. I have the idea
that I could connect via USB to the router while my Mac is
enjoying the Ethernet connection on the same router. But
experience tells me that I will be messing about for ages. I turn
it on for limited purposes.

But true, I should get around to it.

Brian Cryer

dorayme said:
All bets are off as far as email is concerned!

No, these figures are not at all in my experience... nothing
like!

Sorry, you are quite right. I rechecked my figures and somewhere I'd
introduced a factor of 10. So 46.2MB on paper should take 2.4hours, no where
near as bad as I'd said.

Jonathan N. Little

Brian said:
Sorry, you are quite right. I rechecked my figures and somewhere I'd
introduced a factor of 10. So 46.2MB on paper should take 2.4hours, no where
near as bad as I'd said.

Contingent where your dialup will
a) maintain a steadily download rate
b) drop carrier and require restart!

Stuck with dialup and have had much experience in this department.

dorayme

"Jonathan N. Little said:
Contingent where your dialup will
a) maintain a steadily download rate
b) drop carrier and require restart!

Stuck with dialup and have had much experience in this department.

Sorry to hear this (the "stuck" part) Jonathan. When everyone
else had gone to broadband, I remained steadfast voluntarily. I
even made up reasons for staying ("better to be in tune of load
times for ones web pages" and ... well, you should have seen
them!). It suited me, it encouraged going off to have a cup of
tea while something happened, (tea is very good for mopping free
radicals up... sorry everyone, I am here to stay).

btw, about your (a), it is the average that matters. Mine used to
go up and down, (just as my broadband does).

Why are you stuck? A rich and talented artist like you could
surely get satellite?