    a way to add a floating frame (or some type of floating box that would house
    my simple web page on top of or alongside the website being viewd in the
    browser) that does not involve frames?

    Jim, Jan 18, 2006

  2. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Cancel that.....I think I know a better (less obnoxious) way to achieve the
    needed results.

    Jim

    Jim, Jan 18, 2006

  3. On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 18:24:32 +0100, Jim <> wrote:

    > I have an idea for a website that would need to be shown beside other
    > websites to be effective. But, some websites resist being framed. Is
    > there
    > a way to add a floating frame (or some type of floating box that would
    > house
    > my simple web page on top of or alongside the website being viewd in the
    > browser) that does not involve frames?

    Ask the webmaster or web author to remove the script that prevents the
    site being framed.

    BTW: Why would you want other sites than your own be put inside one of
    your frames? Trying to free ride some good content that an true web author
    has worked hard on?

    --
    ______PretLetters:
    | weblog | http://www.pretletters.net/_private/weblog.html |

    Barbara de Zoete, Jan 18, 2006
  4. Jim

    dorayme Guest

    In article <op.s3k56dcml8uz2z@zoete_b>,
    "Barbara de Zoete" <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 18:24:32 +0100, Jim <> wrote:
    >
    > > I have an idea for a website that would need to be shown beside other
    > > websites to be effective. But, some websites resist being framed. Is
    > > there
    > > a way to add a floating frame (or some type of floating box that would
    > > house
    > > my simple web page on top of or alongside the website being viewd in the
    > > browser) that does not involve frames?

    > Ask the webmaster or web author to remove the script that prevents the
    > site being framed.
    >
    > BTW: Why would you want other sites than your own be put inside one of
    > your frames? Trying to free ride some good content that an true web author
    > has worked hard on?

    Why think the worst of fellow humans - btw? After all, it is not
    hard to imagine the OPs aims are not this at all.

    While deep in the bowels of your killfile I will try worming
    tablets on you - they work with my cat to brighten her outlook...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 18, 2006
  5. Jim

    Jose Guest

    > I have an idea for a website that would need to be shown beside other
    > websites to be effective.

    Provide a link to the other websites, and brief instructions on how to
    trick click so that the other site opens in a separate window. Then let
    the user set it up any way they like.

    Jose

    Jose, Jan 18, 2006
  6. Jose wrote:

    > and brief instructions on how to trick click

    Starting with a description of what a "trick click" is? Why not just
    say right-click ? Newbies are probably confused with your nomenclature.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 18, 2006
  7. Jim

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, "Beauregard T.
    Shagnasty" <> spouted in alt.html:

    > Starting with a description of what a "trick click" is? Why not just
    > say right-click ? Newbies are probably confused with your nomenclature.

    While I agree that "trick click" is likely to just confuse the issue
    further (besides sounding odd), "right click" isn't actually correct
    either - Macs don't *have* a right mouse button.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    Att. Google Groups users - this is your last warning:

    Mark Parnell, Jan 18, 2006
  8. Mark Parnell wrote:

    > Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, "Beauregard T.
    > Shagnasty" <> spouted in alt.html:
    >
    >> Starting with a description of what a "trick click" is? Why not just
    >> say right-click ? Newbies are probably confused with your nomenclature.

    > While I agree that "trick click" is likely to just confuse the issue
    > further (besides sounding odd), "right click" isn't actually correct
    > either - Macs don't *have* a right mouse button.

    Right-click and open in new window
    Mac users, click Help!

    :)

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 19, 2006
  9. Jim

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <43cecdc5$0$23588$>,
    Mark Parnell <> wrote:

    > Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, "Beauregard T.
    > Shagnasty" <> spouted in alt.html:
    >
    > > Starting with a description of what a "trick click" is? Why not just
    > > say right-click ? Newbies are probably confused with your nomenclature.

    > While I agree that "trick click" is likely to just confuse the issue
    > further (besides sounding odd), "right click" isn't actually correct
    > either - Macs don't *have* a right mouse button.

    Yes, mostly not (but buffs get them...).

    On Macs, the right click functions (e.g. contextual menu) are
    carried out by click + keyboard Control press or - at least on
    systems before X - just holding mouse down for a set time
    (depending on how this is set in system prefs, fractions of
    seconds possible).

    I did sort of enjoy the scroll wheel on my daughters PC,
    (keyboard up and down can't quite match the elegant pace and
    smoothness). But the right button is a bit absurd.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 19, 2006
  10. Jim

    Jose Guest

    > Starting with a description of what a "trick click" is? Why not just
    > say right-click ?

    Because not all mice have a right click.

    Jose

    Jose, Jan 19, 2006
  11. Jose wrote:

    >> Starting with a description of what a "trick click" is? Why not just
    >> say right-click ?

    > Because not all mice have a right click.

    So ... won't all the smart Mac users know what to do if it says
    right-click?

    Is "trick click" a Mac-centric phrase? If so, no point on using it
    without further description on a web page where almost all of the
    visitors will be Windows users with two or more buttons.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 19, 2006
  12. Jim

    dorayme Guest

    In article <1cwrm86o1o74t$.ydkfrq9brecu$>,
    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:

    > Jose wrote:
    >
    > >> Starting with a description of what a "trick click" is? Why not just
    > >> say right-click ?

    > > Because not all mice have a right click.

    > So ... won't all the smart Mac users know what to do if it says
    > right-click?
    >
    > Is "trick click" a Mac-centric phrase? If so, no point on using it
    > without further description on a web page where almost all of the
    > visitors will be Windows users with two or more buttons.

    Yes, smart Mac users will know. But Mac sales are getting bigger
    and so there are more without a clue. Best to give proper
    instructions. See my post on control clicking, that may well be
    the thing to say...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 19, 2006
  13. Jim

    Jim Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > In article <op.s3k56dcml8uz2z@zoete_b>,
    > "Barbara de Zoete" <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 18:24:32 +0100, Jim <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > I have an idea for a website that would need to be shown beside other
    >> > websites to be effective. But, some websites resist being framed. Is
    >> > there
    >> > a way to add a floating frame (or some type of floating box that would
    >> > house
    >> > my simple web page on top of or alongside the website being viewd in
    >> > the
    >> > browser) that does not involve frames?

    >> Ask the webmaster or web author to remove the script that prevents the
    >> site being framed.
    >>
    >> BTW: Why would you want other sites than your own be put inside one of
    >> your frames? Trying to free ride some good content that an true web
    >> author
    >> has worked hard on?

    > Why think the worst of fellow humans - btw? After all, it is not
    > hard to imagine the OPs aims are not this at all.
    >
    > While deep in the bowels of your killfile I will try worming
    > tablets on you - they work with my cat to brighten her outlook...

    Thanks for coming to my aid! ;)

    I cannot discuss exactly what I am going to do just yet, but for an
    excellent example of why you'd want to put other sites in a frame, go to
    http://torrentsearcher.filesharingplace.com .

    Fortunately, I think I have found a way to emulate frames without using
    frames. Althoug I'm sure some sites will try and stop it with
    javascripts.....I think I can stop those efforts too.

    The main goal here is to make the web more user-friendly and more useful for
    the users - even if that raises the ire of some webmasters.

    I think that most webmasters will like the idea of users viewing thier
    pages....even if the manner in which they view the pages is slightly
    different than just straight surfing to the site.

    I have never understood a webmaster that would reject frames usage. The
    only valid issue with having your page shown inside a frame is that it is
    difficult for the end user to bookmark your site. A simple "Add this site
    to your favorites" button would solve that issue.

    With my method, there will be no "frames" per se (unless the webste uses
    them). The entire website will remain intact. No changes to content other
    than the addition of my plainly marked browsing enhancements.

    Of course it will miff some webmasters.......but, doesn't everything?

    Jim

    Jim, Jan 19, 2006
  14. Jim

    Jose Guest

    > So ... won't all the smart Mac users know what to do if it says
    > right-click?

    Smart ones, maybe.

    > Is "trick click" a Mac-centric phrase? If so, no point on using it
    > without further description on a web page where almost all of the
    > visitors will be Windows users with two or more buttons.

    No, it's my lexicographic invention, to encompas right-clicking (for the
    menu), control-clicking (in Netscape for a new window), shift-clicking
    (in IE for a new window) and any other tricks that are possible. (I've
    set the side button on my mouse to be the control button, to make my
    preferred trick-click outcome one-handed and one clicked.)

    Jose, Jan 19, 2006
  15. In article <1cwrm86o1o74t$.ydkfrq9brecu$>,
    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:

    > Jose wrote:
    >
    > >> Starting with a description of what a "trick click" is? Why not just
    > >> say right-click ?

    > > Because not all mice have a right click.

    > So ... won't all the smart Mac users know what to do if it says
    > right-click?

    Yes, they will.
    Jose is using (User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US;
    rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040804 Netscape/7.2 (ax))

    > Is "trick click" a Mac-centric phrase?

    No, it's not.

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

    Leonard Blaisdell, Jan 19, 2006
  16. Jim

    Jose Guest

    >>So ... won't all the smart Mac users know what to do if it says
    >> right-click?

    > Yes, they will.
    > Jose is using (User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US;
    > rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040804 Netscape/7.2 (ax))

    I've also used Macs and Linux, and a few other machines too. Trick
    clicking varies not only by platform but by browser (what opens a new
    window without a menu?) within a menu. And the dumb Mac users are also
    a worthy audience for web sites.

    Jose

    Jose, Jan 19, 2006
  17. Jim wrote:

    > I have never understood a webmaster that would reject frames usage.

    Over the years, I have seen quite a number of sites that framed others
    and passed it off as their own work. That is maddening.

    It happened to one of mine a couple of years ago. My client invented and
    patented a product, and is marketing it. Some "inventor" found the site
    and added our site to his in a frame, with no additional note that he
    did not invent the product.

    > The only valid issue with having your page shown inside a frame is
    > that it is difficult for the end user to bookmark your site. A
    > simple "Add this site to your favorites" button would solve that
    > issue.

    I for one would not want to foist such a button on my users, that is, to
    coerce them to bookmark it. They will if they want to. And, I would not
    want to add this to all my pages.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 19, 2006
  18. In article <deEzf.1031$>,
    Jose <> wrote:

    > And the dumb Mac users are also a worthy audience for web sites.

    You are so kind.
    Damn! The wife just broke into my whiskey again and my mutt is chewing
    on the baby. Gotta go. Doh!

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

    Leonard Blaisdell, Jan 19, 2006
  19. Jim

    Jim Guest

    > Jim wrote:
    >
    >> I have never understood a webmaster that would reject frames usage.

    > Over the years, I have seen quite a number of sites that framed others
    > and passed it off as their own work. That is maddening.
    >
    > It happened to one of mine a couple of years ago. My client invented and
    > patented a product, and is marketing it. Some "inventor" found the site
    > and added our site to his in a frame, with no additional note that he
    > did not invent the product.

    How could he make the site/page itself look look like his own. Didn't you
    guys have your name or link on every page?

    >> The only valid issue with having your page shown inside a frame is
    >> that it is difficult for the end user to bookmark your site. A
    >> simple "Add this site to your favorites" button would solve that
    >> issue.

    > I for one would not want to foist such a button on my users, that is, to
    > coerce them to bookmark it. They will if they want to. And, I would not
    > want to add this to all my pages.

    It is only needed if you want a user to enable a user to save a link to a
    specific framed page within a framed site. Otherwise, the link only points
    to the main frame and you always go to the home page. This is usually what
    webmasters want......so they don't worry about users being able to link
    directly to a specific page framed on thier sites.

    Jim, Jan 19, 2006
  20. Jim

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Jim
    <> spouted in alt.html:

    > It is only needed if you want a user to enable a user to save a link to a
    > specific framed page within a framed site.

    Just don't use frames and it's not an issue. :)

    Mark Parnell, Jan 19, 2006