Floating frames replacement?

Jim

I have an idea for a website that would need to be shown beside other
websites to be effective. But, some websites resist being framed. Is there
a way to add a floating frame (or some type of floating box that would house
my simple web page on top of or alongside the website being viewd in the
browser) that does not involve frames?

Jim

Cancel that.....I think I know a better (less obnoxious) way to achieve the
needed results.

Jim

Barbara de Zoete

I have an idea for a website that would need to be shown beside other
websites to be effective. But, some websites resist being framed. Is
there
a way to add a floating frame (or some type of floating box that would
house
my simple web page on top of or alongside the website being viewd in the
browser) that does not involve frames?

Ask the webmaster or web author to remove the script that prevents the
site being framed.

BTW: Why would you want other sites than your own be put inside one of
your frames? Trying to free ride some good content that an true web author
has worked hard on?

dorayme

Barbara de Zoete said:
Ask the webmaster or web author to remove the script that prevents the
site being framed.

BTW: Why would you want other sites than your own be put inside one of
your frames? Trying to free ride some good content that an true web author
has worked hard on?

Why think the worst of fellow humans - btw? After all, it is not
hard to imagine the OPs aims are not this at all.

While deep in the bowels of your killfile I will try worming
tablets on you - they work with my cat to brighten her outlook...

Jose

I have an idea for a website that would need to be shown beside other
websites to be effective.

Provide a link to the other websites, and brief instructions on how to
trick click so that the other site opens in a separate window. Then let
the user set it up any way they like.

Jose

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jose said:
and brief instructions on how to trick click

Starting with a description of what a "trick click" is? Why not just
say right-click ? Newbies are probably confused with your nomenclature.

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, "Beauregard T.
Shagnasty said:
Starting with a description of what a "trick click" is? Why not just
say right-click ? Newbies are probably confused with your nomenclature.

While I agree that "trick click" is likely to just confuse the issue
further (besides sounding odd), "right click" isn't actually correct
either - Macs don't *have* a right mouse button.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Mark said:
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, "Beauregard T.

While I agree that "trick click" is likely to just confuse the issue
further (besides sounding odd), "right click" isn't actually correct
either - Macs don't *have* a right mouse button.

Right-click and open in new window
Mac users, click Help!

:)

dorayme

Mark Parnell said:
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, "Beauregard T.

While I agree that "trick click" is likely to just confuse the issue
further (besides sounding odd), "right click" isn't actually correct
either - Macs don't *have* a right mouse button.

Yes, mostly not (but buffs get them...).

On Macs, the right click functions (e.g. contextual menu) are
carried out by click + keyboard Control press or - at least on
systems before X - just holding mouse down for a set time
(depending on how this is set in system prefs, fractions of
seconds possible).

I did sort of enjoy the scroll wheel on my daughters PC,
(keyboard up and down can't quite match the elegant pace and
smoothness). But the right button is a bit absurd.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jose said:
Because not all mice have a right click.

So ... won't all the smart Mac users know what to do if it says
right-click?

Is "trick click" a Mac-centric phrase? If so, no point on using it
without further description on a web page where almost all of the
visitors will be Windows users with two or more buttons.

dorayme

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
So ... won't all the smart Mac users know what to do if it says
right-click?

Is "trick click" a Mac-centric phrase? If so, no point on using it
without further description on a web page where almost all of the
visitors will be Windows users with two or more buttons.

Yes, smart Mac users will know. But Mac sales are getting bigger
and so there are more without a clue. Best to give proper
instructions. See my post on control clicking, that may well be
the thing to say...

Jim

dorayme said:
Why think the worst of fellow humans - btw? After all, it is not
hard to imagine the OPs aims are not this at all.

While deep in the bowels of your killfile I will try worming
tablets on you - they work with my cat to brighten her outlook...

Thanks for coming to my aid! ;)

I cannot discuss exactly what I am going to do just yet, but for an
excellent example of why you'd want to put other sites in a frame, go to
http://torrentsearcher.filesharingplace.com .

Fortunately, I think I have found a way to emulate frames without using
frames. Althoug I'm sure some sites will try and stop it with
javascripts.....I think I can stop those efforts too.

The main goal here is to make the web more user-friendly and more useful for
the users - even if that raises the ire of some webmasters.

I think that most webmasters will like the idea of users viewing thier
pages....even if the manner in which they view the pages is slightly
different than just straight surfing to the site.

I have never understood a webmaster that would reject frames usage. The
only valid issue with having your page shown inside a frame is that it is
difficult for the end user to bookmark your site. A simple "Add this site
to your favorites" button would solve that issue.

With my method, there will be no "frames" per se (unless the webste uses
them). The entire website will remain intact. No changes to content other
than the addition of my plainly marked browsing enhancements.

Of course it will miff some webmasters.......but, doesn't everything?

Jim

Jose

So ... won't all the smart Mac users know what to do if it says
right-click?

Smart ones, maybe.
Is "trick click" a Mac-centric phrase? If so, no point on using it
without further description on a web page where almost all of the
visitors will be Windows users with two or more buttons.

No, it's my lexicographic invention, to encompas right-clicking (for the
menu), control-clicking (in Netscape for a new window), shift-clicking
(in IE for a new window) and any other tricks that are possible. (I've
set the side button on my mouse to be the control button, to make my
preferred trick-click outcome one-handed and one clicked.)

Leonard Blaisdell

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
So ... won't all the smart Mac users know what to do if it says
right-click?

Yes, they will.
Jose is using (User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US;
rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040804 Netscape/7.2 (ax))
Is "trick click" a Mac-centric phrase?

No, it's not.

leo

Jose

So ... won't all the smart Mac users know what to do if it says
Yes, they will.
Jose is using (User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US;
rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040804 Netscape/7.2 (ax))

I've also used Macs and Linux, and a few other machines too. Trick
clicking varies not only by platform but by browser (what opens a new
window without a menu?) within a menu. And the dumb Mac users are also
a worthy audience for web sites.

Jose

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jim said:
I have never understood a webmaster that would reject frames usage.

Over the years, I have seen quite a number of sites that framed others
and passed it off as their own work. That is maddening.

It happened to one of mine a couple of years ago. My client invented and
patented a product, and is marketing it. Some "inventor" found the site
and added our site to his in a frame, with no additional note that he
did not invent the product.
The only valid issue with having your page shown inside a frame is
that it is difficult for the end user to bookmark your site. A
simple "Add this site to your favorites" button would solve that
issue.

I for one would not want to foist such a button on my users, that is, to
coerce them to bookmark it. They will if they want to. And, I would not
want to add this to all my pages.

Leonard Blaisdell

Jose said:
And the dumb Mac users are also a worthy audience for web sites.

You are so kind.
Damn! The wife just broke into my whiskey again and my mutt is chewing
on the baby. Gotta go. Doh!

leo

Jim

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Over the years, I have seen quite a number of sites that framed others
and passed it off as their own work. That is maddening.

It happened to one of mine a couple of years ago. My client invented and
patented a product, and is marketing it. Some "inventor" found the site
and added our site to his in a frame, with no additional note that he
did not invent the product.

How could he make the site/page itself look look like his own. Didn't you
guys have your name or link on every page?
I for one would not want to foist such a button on my users, that is, to
coerce them to bookmark it. They will if they want to. And, I would not
want to add this to all my pages.

It is only needed if you want a user to enable a user to save a link to a
specific framed page within a framed site. Otherwise, the link only points
to the main frame and you always go to the home page. This is usually what
webmasters want......so they don't worry about users being able to link
directly to a specific page framed on thier sites.

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Jim
It is only needed if you want a user to enable a user to save a link to a
specific framed page within a framed site.

Just don't use frames and it's not an issue. :)