Font-family

dorayme

"Luigi Donatello Asero said:
So, do you mean that W3 does not recommend to use a <div> for each heading ?
Headings are useful because they give an overview for the readers
and can be read by text browsers and robots as well

You need to get an Italian translation of the W3C specs. There
are special provisions for headings in the form of
<h1,2,3...></h1,2,3...>.

Still, your original question is very good. Try a different font
(or at the very least, a different style or size or decoration or
colour) for each character of your website pages. You might as
well do this, it will make your pages quite remarkable and the
result will be guaranteed to thwart any attempts to breach your
security by side-tracking spies and other disreputable
unauthorised earthlings into trying to decipher meaning where
there is none, it will tie them up for ever...

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
You need to get an Italian translation of the W3C specs. There
are special provisions for headings in the form of
<h1,2,3...></h1,2,3...>.

Still, your original question is very good. Try a different font
(or at the very least, a different style or size or decoration or
colour) for each character of your website pages.

Ooooooo that would be so 60's! Kind of Peter Max! I like it, go for it
Luigi! Perfect theme for a one-man-business dedicated to freedom of
personal expression.

Adrienne Boswell

Hello,
I was wondering whether to use different font-families for the
different
For example to use
{font-family: serif;} for one of these...

Here you go, Luigi...

<h1>Title of Document</h1>
<h2>Using Different Fonts</h2>
<pre>
body {font-family: arial, sans-serif;}
h1, h2 {font-family: serif;}
h1 {font-size:120%}
h2 {font-size:130%}
</pre>
<h2>Why Use Different Fonts</h2>
etc. Have a good weekend. I might regret this later.</p>

dorayme

Adrienne Boswell said:
Here you go, Luigi...

<h1>Title of Document</h1>
<h2>Using Different Fonts</h2>
<pre>
body {font-family: arial, sans-serif;}
h1, h2 {font-family: serif;}
h1 {font-size:120%}
h2 {font-size:130%}
</pre>
<h2>Why Use Different Fonts</h2>
etc. Have a good weekend. I might regret this later.</p>

You are a good and kind man Adrienne, there is nothing to regret.
When you get to the Gates, St Peter is going to mention this and
he is going to compare your action with the miserable attempts at
wit and sarcasm by the likes of me. Me? Well, I have some fear of
this moment for obvious reasons, tempered only slightly by the
resilience I learnt while in BdeZ 's killfile. Where the hell is
she, btw? In a funny kind of way, I miss her. I understand that
when people are taken hostage, there can develop a sort of
bond...?

dorayme

Els said:
I think you're missing some basic info about Adrienne :)

Like... er... his ... er her... I did think she was a she at
first (ages ago), but something I saw made me think I was wrong

So I was right but this was not good enough for me to be, I had
to go on and make it wrong. My memory is of someone connected to
the church, someone who did a site for his (?) church, am I
confusing two people here? Or just misread something ages ago
that is impossible to track.

Thanks Els, I now wish to formerly apologise for this to
Adrienne. I looked up a site that Adrienne made and it is very
nice indeed. There are nice colours and she is a she and has had
babies and at least I have in common with her that I have changed
many nappies and I feel bad now and this is why this para is
running on and on, out of a sort of nervous embarrassment...

It seems to me to call for an apology. Who wants to be a man. Men
are a great deal of trouble. I should know. They are the cause of
almost every possible bad thing that is going on right now in the
world and causing great suffering. If I was a man, I would be
greatly ashamed of myself. If I was a woman, I would be greatly
pleased with myself. (Hi Luigi).

(BTW In this case my apology is sincere unlike when John Cleese
was hanging upside down outside a window abjectly making a speech
in A Fish called Wanda

jojo

Luigi said:
unique?

Because it has its own "id". It seems to me as if one would otherwise
distinguish the <div>s by calling them by different names on the one hand,
but, on the other hand, display them as if all of them were the same.
Sounds to me like you misunderstood that example. IMHO they give just an
example how you could structure a paragraph *if* you like to give it a
unique appearance. They do not say *that* every paragraph should have a
different style.

jojo

jojo

Luigi said:
Back to Font-Families.....
no matter whether it is necessary or not, at least W3 shows an option
where you have a <div> for each heading...
the pages https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html validates
again...
The question is then what to use to style
Fonts and colours seem to be the
most usual options.

Most usual is to use the same style for *every* paragraph.
But it would probably be a good option to have <h3> which have the same size
regardless of the Font-family.

The *first* heading should always have <h1>. Each subsection should have
<h2>. And *only* subsections of subsections or subtitles of <h2>s should
have <h3>. Don't us <hX> for styling, use CSS.

jojo

Harlan Messinger

Luigi said:
So, do you mean that W3 does not recommend to use a <div> for each heading ?

Do *you* see where it recommends that?
Headings are useful because they give an overview for the readers
and can be read by text browsers and robots as well

Right, and headings are marked with <h1>, <h2>, etc. No divs are involved.

Luigi Donatello Asero

dorayme said:
You need to get an Italian translation of the W3C specs.
I do not think so. But a translation might be useful for other people,
anyway.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Adrienne Boswell said:
Here you go, Luigi...

<h1>Title of Document</h1>
<h2>Using Different Fonts</h2>
<pre>
body {font-family: arial, sans-serif;}
h1, h2 {font-family: serif;}
h1 {font-size:120%}
h2 {font-size:130%}
</pre>
<h2>Why Use Different Fonts</h2>
etc. Have a good weekend. I might regret this later.</p>

Well, it might be an option to use these <div>s but, on the other hand,
they do help to keep a structure. And once you have already used them the
question is whether they all should look the same...

Luigi Donatello Asero

It seems to me to call for an apology. Who wants to be a man. Men
are a great deal of trouble. I should know. They are the cause of
almost every possible bad thing that is going on right now in the
world and causing great suffering. If I was a man, I would be
greatly ashamed of myself. If I was a woman, I would be greatly
pleased with myself. (Hi Luigi).

Are you sure that you have never been in Sweden?

Luigi Donatello Asero

jojo said:
Sounds to me like you misunderstood that example. IMHO they give just an
example how you could structure a paragraph *if* you like to give it a
unique appearance. They do not say *that* every paragraph should have a
different style.

jojo

I think that they had better write more specifically, whether the use of a
Having said that, <div>s help are helpful for the structure.

Luigi Donatello Asero

jojo said:
Most usual is to use the same style for *every* paragraph.

Probably but the lenght of most pages is shorter than the one of my page in
Italian about Sweden....
Also, perhaps the word "passage" should have suited better. I apologize for
that.
As a matter of fact, I often have several paragraphs in every passage.
Each paragraph begins with said:
The *first* heading should always have <h1>. Each subsection should have
<h2>. And *only* subsections of subsections or subtitles of <h2>s should
have <h3>. Don't us <hX> for styling, use CSS.

I know that.
I meant that all the <h3>s on the same page should look better if they had
the same size regardless of the family-font which has been used on the
different passages of the same page of the website.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Harlan Messinger said:
heading ?

Do *you* see where it recommends that?

Unfortunately, I have a vague memory of that. I may be wrong on that
subject.
But, on the other hand they just showed an example where they used different
Right, and headings are marked with <h1>, <h2>, etc. No divs are involved.

No matter whether they are involved or not, if you have a very long text on
one page as I have (which also has some advantages)
the use of <div>s helps me to use the right headings because it let me
understand whether a part of the page is a subsection or a subsubsection and
so on. But once I have used the different <div>s how could I style them?

jojo

Luigi said:
I think that they had better write more specifically, whether the use of a
Having said that, <div>s help are helpful for the structure.

But "having them" and styling each of them different is different.