Font-family

Luigi Donatello Asero

jojo said:
But "having them" and styling each of them different is different.

So, would you not write any instruction on an external style sheet about
these <div>s?
The fact the most webpages do not style them differently does not mean that
it had been better not to do that either...
if styling them differently had been a bad example why did W3 show just
that, then?

jojo

Unfortunately, I have a vague memory of that. I may be wrong on that
subject.
But, on the other hand they just showed an example where they used different

No matter whether they are involved or not, if you have a very long text on
one page as I have (which also has some advantages)
the use of <div>s helps me to use the right headings because it let me
understand whether a part of the page is a subsection or a subsubsection and
so on. But once I have used the different <div>s how could I style them?

You don't have to! One possibility would be to style all sections the
same, all subsections same (but different from the sections), all
subsubsections same again (but again different from the sections and
subsections). You could do it like this:

div p {font-size:20px;}
div div p {font-size .8em}
div div div p {font-size .9em}

just an example. I would not change the color or font-family, just the
size or font-style (you could make the subsubsections italic for
example).Another possibility (which I would prefer) would be to set
different paddings on each sub-group:

div {padding-left: 1em;}

should look like this:

|''''''''''''''''''''''|
| section |
| |'''''''''''''''''''|
| | subsection |
| | |''''''''''''''''|
| | | subsubsection |
| | |________________|
| | |''''''''''''''''|
| | | subsubsection |
| | |________________|
| |___________________|
| |'''''''''''''''''''|
| | subsection |
.. . .
.. . .
.. . .

HTH, jojo

jojo

TC said:
Hmm, what size will the h7's be? :)

No size at all... <h7> does not exist... <h6> is the last...

But it would be better anyway to make it the way round... make each <hX>
*smaller* than the one before...

h1 {font-size: 3em}
h2 {font-size: 2.7em}
h3 {font-size: 2.3em}
h4 {font-size: 2em}
..
..
..

A bit more logic if subtitles are smaller than the titles...

jojo

Luigi said:
So, would you not write any instruction on an external style sheet about
these <div>s?
The fact the most webpages do not style them differently does not mean that
it had been better not to do that either...
if styling them differently had been a bad example why did W3 show just
that, then?
Look at my reply (<[email protected]>) to one of
your other posts.

David Dorward

Luigi said:
So, would you not write any instruction on an external style sheet about
these <div>s?
Correct

The fact the most webpages do not style them differently does not mean
that it had been better not to do that either...

No, but it gives a strong hint that that is the case.
if styling them differently had been a bad example why did W3 show just
that, then?

They don't. They give them ids. That is not the same as styling them. An
id /can/ be used for styling ... but it can also be used for a lot of other
things too (as I mentioned previously).

Luigi Donatello Asero

"jojo" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet

[cut]
them?

You don't have to! One possibility would be to style all sections the
same, all subsections same (but different from the sections), all
subsubsections same again (but again different from the sections and
subsections). You could do it like this:

div p {font-size:20px;}
div div p {font-size .8em}
div div div p {font-size .9em}

There is only 1 section on each page.
On the page https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html
I have several subsections, for example a subsection for the menu on the
left side
which includes links to other pages of the same website, a subsection for
the summary,
another for the main content and so on.
The main content is divided in several subsubsections.
The page is very long and styling the different subsubsections might help
the reader to see
where one begins and where it ends.
just an example. I would not change the color or font-family, just the
size or font-style (you could make the subsubsections italic for
example).Another possibility (which I would prefer) would be to set
different paddings on each sub-group:

It might be a good idea but it does not help make clear when one
subsubsection in the main content begins and when it ends.

Luigi Donatello Asero

David Dorward said:

Would you do the same as above even if the page is very long and has many
subtitles
as the page https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html ?
No, but it gives a strong hint that that is the case.

Most webpages probably do not validate either....
They don't. They give them ids. That is not the same as styling them.

I see your point.

An
id /can/ be used for styling ... but it can also be used for a lot of other
things too (as I mentioned previously).

Would it not be better to link to an id which is contained in the heading as
I did myself?
Or does it not play any role perhaps?

David Dorward

Most webpages probably do not validate either....

How about limiting the selection to "webpages which are in other regards of
high quality"?
I see your point.
Would it not be better to link to an id which is contained in the heading
as I did myself?

Is a link to a heading really better then a link to a section of the
document which that heading is for (and said section includes the heading
itself)
Or does it not play any role perhaps?

As I mentioned before, it could also be used with DOM either on the server
or the client (e.g. a script to show and hide sections, or highlight them,
or etc).

Luigi Donatello Asero

David Dorward said:
How about limiting the selection to "webpages which are in other regards of
high quality"?

That sounds more interesting in this context.

Is a link to a heading really better then a link to a section of the
document which that heading is for (and said section includes the heading
itself)

The heading should indicate the main topic of the section of the document,
the document itself contains both
the main topic and other details.....is a link not usually connected to the
main idea of that section?

What would you do if you want to hightlight in the
As I mentioned before, it could also be used with DOM either on the server
or the client (e.g. a script to show and hide sections, or highlight them,
or etc).

Can you also speak "Svenska"?

Luigi Donatello Asero

That sounds more interesting in this context.

You might want to have another look at the page
now...
sans-serif looks quite good, does it not?

jojo

Luigi said:
[cut]
You don't have to! One possibility would be to style all sections the
same, all subsections same (but different from the sections), all
subsubsections same again (but again different from the sections and
subsections).
[CSS snipped]

There is only 1 section on each page.
On the page https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html
I have several subsections, for example a subsection for the menu on the
left side
which includes links to other pages of the same website, a subsection for
the summary,
another for the main content and so on.
The main content is divided in several subsubsections.
The page is very long and styling the different subsubsections might help
the reader to see
where one begins and where it ends.

That's the job of 'margin-bottom's
It might be a good idea but it does not help make clear when one
subsubsection in the main content begins and when it ends.

Again: That's the job of 'margin-bottom's (Or margin-top)

jojo

Richard Rundle

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
There is only 1 section on each page.
On the page https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html
I have several subsections, for example a subsection for the menu on the
left side
which includes links to other pages of the same website, a subsection for
the summary,
another for the main content and so on.
The main content is divided in several subsubsections.
The page is very long and styling the different subsubsections might help
the reader to see
where one begins and where it ends.

If the page is that long that the reader needs help to see where
sub-sections begin and end, to me there is one easy answer. Make the page
shorter.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Richard Rundle said:
If the page is that long that the reader needs help to see where
sub-sections begin and end, to me there is one easy answer. Make the page
shorter.

There are reasons why I think it is better to have it longer.
If you have a modem, you can read the page offline after loading it. You do
not need connect again after some minutes except for the external links.

Richard Rundle

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
There are reasons why I think it is better to have it longer.
If you have a modem, you can read the page offline after loading it. You do
not need connect again after some minutes except for the external links.

Have your users expressed such an opinion though? As a web user, this may be
something like number 999 on my list of priorities when looking at a site.
If they're subsections, and they're that long, IMO separate pages are a much
better and more user-friendly idea.

dorayme

"Luigi Donatello Asero said:
I meant that all the <h3>s on the same page should look better if they had
the same size regardless of the family-font which has been used on the
different passages of the same page of the website.

No. It depends.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Richard Rundle said:
You

Have your users expressed such an opinion though?

I talked to a woman just a few hours ago about it and she seemed to share
my opinion....
although she was not in Italy...now, as far as I know there are still more
modem users in Italy than in Sweden...
But, of course, it might be useful to ask many other users as well...