    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    Adrienne Boswell, Apr 7, 2006

  2. On the site: http://www.glbasic.com you see a visitor counter. It is
    inside:
    but it's way too small on my FireFox.

    --
    -Gernot
    int main(int argc, char** argv) {printf
    ("%silto%c%cf%cgl%ssic%ccom%c", "ma", 58, 'g', 64, "ba", 46, 10);}

    Gernot Frisch, Apr 7, 2006

  3. "Adrienne Boswell" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Gernot Frisch"
    > <>
    > writing in news::
    >
    >> On the site: http://www.glbasic.com you see a visitor counter. It
    >> is
    >> inside:
    >> but it's way too small on my FireFox.
    >>

    > Then change it to a resize able unit, em or percentage, or specify
    > no font
    > size at all and it will use the default font size.

    er... But I want 14 pt - what's the problem with that?

    Gernot Frisch, Apr 7, 2006
  4. Adrienne Boswell

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *Gernot Frisch* wrote:
    > "Adrienne Boswell" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Gernot Frisch"
    >> <>
    >> writing in news::
    >>
    >>> On the site: http://www.glbasic.com you see a visitor counter. It
    >>> is
    >>> inside:
    >>> but it's way too small on my FireFox.
    >>>

    >> Then change it to a resize able unit, em or percentage, or specify
    >> no font
    >> size at all and it will use the default font size.

    > er... But I want 14 pt - what's the problem with that?

    Because "pt" is for printing, not screen. And since you say it's way to
    small, your visitors may not want it. Why do you want it if you feel
    like that?

    --
    /Arne

    "I travel cross the country and talked to the most competent persons,
    and I can assure you that the computer is a fashion craze that will not
    stand the whole year.
    (Editor for business literature, Prentice Hall, 1957)

    Arne, Apr 7, 2006
  5. Gernot Frisch wrote:

    > er... But I want 14 pt - what's the problem with that?

    1 - It ignores the user's stated preferences (and it is the user who is
    trying to read it, not the author)

    2 - When displaying text with a font size specified in points, Internet
    Explorer ignores the View > Font Size menu (so if its too small to read,
    the user is fairly fubared)

    3 - The majority of systems are not calibrated to correctly represent points
    on screen, so most people won't get 14pt even if that is what you specify.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Apr 7, 2006
  6. Adrienne Boswell

    Andy Dingley Guest

    Gernot Frisch wrote:

    > er... But I want 14 pt - what's the problem with that?

    Lots of problems. Search the archives (and c.i.w.a.h) for why.

    1. "You" (site author) don't get to control this, "I" (visitor) get to
    control it. Otherwise you can't tell what's actually readable on my
    screen.

    2. "Points" are a physical dimension, from the history of paper
    printing. You can't translate them onto a screen with any real
    certainty.

    3. "14pt" is by vague default and tradition, quite a large size.
    "Default" size for printing is more like 10pt. If you could force a
    real "14pt" onto people, then I doubt you'd actually like it for a mere
    hit counter.

    4. Set body text to 1em and don't mess with it. Vary sizes
    proportionately from that, with % or em units, not points. Don't vary
    smaller than 67%, or else things are likely to be unreadable (If I
    could read text smaller than 2/3rd of default, I'd probably already
    have set my default smaller).

    Andy Dingley, Apr 7, 2006
  7. "Andy Dingley" <dingbat@codesmiths.
    > 1. "You" (site author) don't get to control this, "I" (visitor) get
    > control it. Otherwise you can't tell what's actually readable on my
    > screen.

    OK, I use * {font-size: 1em;} now, though it's a bit large for my
    taste...

    > 2. "Points" are a physical dimension, from the history of paper
    > printing. You can't translate them onto a screen with any real
    > certainty.

    I didn't know that. In any text-program you specify font size in pt -
    that's why I thought...

    > 3. "14pt" is by vague default and tradition, quite a large size.
    > "Default" size for printing is more like 10pt. If you could force a
    > real "14pt" onto people, then I doubt you'd actually like it for a
    > mere
    > hit counter.

    I wanted it that size. That's OK.

    > 4. Set body text to 1em and don't mess with it. Vary sizes
    > proportionately from that, with % or em units, not points. Don't
    > vary
    > smaller than 67%, or else things are likely to be unreadable (If I
    > could read text smaller than 2/3rd of default, I'd probably already
    > have set my default smaller).

    For the menu-bar texts I have to use 14px font size, since I urgently
    do not want it to be larger than the bar-image in the background. Is
    that OK?

    Thank you for your help,
    -Gernot

    Gernot Frisch, Apr 7, 2006
  8. Adrienne Boswell

    kchayka Guest

    Gernot Frisch wrote:

    > For the menu-bar texts I have to use 14px font size, since I urgently
    > do not want it to be larger than the bar-image in the background. Is
    > that OK?

    What do you suppose will happen when I come to your site, with my
    minimum font-size set to 17px? Will the site still be unusable?

    Attempts at pixel-precision in web design is usually doomed to failure.
    Accept that now and you'll have much less frustration. Design your
    layout to adapt gracefully to variations in window and text sizes, and
    you'll get much better results.

    kchayka, Apr 7, 2006
  9. Adrienne Boswell

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    "Gernot Frisch" <> wrote:

    > "Andy Dingley" <dingbat@codesmiths.
    > > 1. "You" (site author) don't get to control this, "I" (visitor) get
    > > control it. Otherwise you can't tell what's actually readable on my
    > > screen.

    > OK, I use * {font-size: 1em;} now, though it's a bit large for my
    > taste...

    First, if you are talking about body text, or let us suppose, the
    main text, then you have an easy solution, just change your own
    browser preferences or options. There has to be some benchmark
    from which to do this. It is a complicated issue but to simplify:
    a good benchmark from which to set one's own browser preferences
    is to view normal text, normal text is arguably 1em. This
    establishes a benchmark for everyone in the world. From there,
    everyone gets to adjust their own browsers as they like.

    > > 4. Set body text to 1em and don't mess with it. Vary sizes
    > > proportionately from that, with % or em units, not points. Don't
    > > vary
    > > smaller than 67%, or else things are likely to be unreadable (If I
    > > could read text smaller than 2/3rd of default, I'd probably already
    > > have set my default smaller).

    > For the menu-bar texts I have to use 14px font size, since I urgently
    > do not want it to be larger than the bar-image in the background. Is
    > that OK?

    You are not noticing what is being said. You do not "have" to use
    14px. And there are good over-riding reasons not to. You can use
    smaller than 100% or 1em, eg .85em or .8em (I don't think you
    should go much lower)

    Yes, you are also saying that if you make it easy for the user to
    enlarge the text in his browser, it will break your design. Two
    things about this:

    It has to be bad web design if this is so for at least a range of
    text sizes that covers a fairly common spectrum of human users.
    Secondly, it is quite easy for quite a few folk (but not all) to
    enlarge their text in spite of you making it hard. So altogether
    best to follow the advice that AD is giving you, to think how to
    design where it is graceful for folk to see things that are
    comfortable for them.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Apr 8, 2006