    development, which of these Google Fonts would you select ?

    Thanks !

    -Mel Smith
    Mel Smith, May 24, 2010

  2. On Mon, 24 May 2010 09:12:33 -0600, Mel Smith wrote:

    > That is, if you had to pick just *one* font for all your web page
    > development, which of these Google Fonts would you select ?

    ummmmmmm, none?
    Allodoxaphobia, May 25, 2010

  3. Mel Smith

    idle Guest

    On Mon, 24 May 2010 09:12:33 -0600, Mel Smith wrote in alt.html:

    > Hi:
    >
    > I've been following the 'Google Fonts' thread with interest, and have
    > downloaded and tested a few of them (in Firefox 3.6.3, Opera, IE7, Chrome,
    > and Safari.
    >
    > Question:
    >
    > If I utilized these fonts, which of threm would be a good 'all-round'
    > font for screen browsing ??
    >
    > That is, if you had to pick just *one* font for all your web page
    > development, which of these Google Fonts would you select ?
    >
    > Thanks !
    >
    > -Mel Smith

    arial
    ;)

    --
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.
    idle, May 25, 2010
  4. Mel Smith

    Mel Smith Guest

    Idle said:

    > arial
    > ;)

    I guess this is no place for newbies with imperfect questions. :(

    -Mel
    Mel Smith, May 26, 2010
  5. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Mel Smith"
    <> writing in news:863m83Fp1rU1
    @mid.individual.net:

    > Idle said:
    >
    >> arial
    >> ;)

    > I guess this is no place for newbies with imperfect questions. :(
    >
    > -Mel

    It's a matter of the author's personal taste. I might choose Tangerine, it
    could probably look nice for level 1 and maybe level 2 headings.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, May 26, 2010
  6. Mel Smith

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Xns9D842BC95CC8arbpenyahoocom@85.214.73.210>,
    Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:

    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Mel Smith"
    > <> writing in news:863m83Fp1rU1
    > @mid.individual.net:
    >
    > > Idle said:
    > >
    > >> arial
    > >> ;)

    > > I guess this is no place for newbies with imperfect questions. :(
    > >
    > > -Mel
    > >

    > It's a matter of the author's personal taste. I might choose Tangerine, it
    > could probably look nice for level 1 and maybe level 2 headings.

    The good author should be slave to the taste of others and must
    choose on the basis that it is going to be OK with users. A
    website is a thing where one's own personality must be quite
    suppressed.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, May 26, 2010
  7. Mel Smith

    123Jim Guest

    "Mel Smith" <> wrote in message
    > Idle said:
    >
    >> arial
    >> ;)

    > I guess this is no place for newbies with imperfect questions. :(

    Some of those fonts look reasonable, some look awful, but until these google
    fonts work perfectly in every browser known to human kind I wouldn't use
    this method to specify a font for anybody's web page.
    123Jim, May 26, 2010
  8. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme <>
    writing in news::

    > In article <Xns9D842BC95CC8arbpenyahoocom@85.214.73.210>,
    > Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:
    >
    >> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Mel Smith"
    >> <> writing in news:863m83Fp1rU1
    >> @mid.individual.net:

    >> > I guess this is no place for newbies with imperfect questions. :(
    >> >
    >> > -Mel
    >> >

    >> It's a matter of the author's personal taste. I might choose
    >> Tangerine, it could probably look nice for level 1 and maybe level 2
    >> headings.

    > The good author should be slave to the taste of others and must
    > choose on the basis that it is going to be OK with users. A
    > website is a thing where one's own personality must be quite
    > suppressed.

    Agreed, so one should use a fallback font, and given whatever font is
    chosen, should be one that is easy to read - and then, probably for only
    level 1 or 2 headings.

    Adrienne Boswell, May 26, 2010
  9. On Tue, 25 May 2010 22:26:41 -0600, Mel Smith wrote:

    > Idle said:
    >
    >> arial
    >> ;)

    > I guess this is no place for newbies with imperfect questions. :(
    >
    > -Mel

    Or some users, like me, choose the fonts *they* want in their browser
    setup and dislike when those fonts are overridden for no good reason.

    While there may be times and places for a particular "themed" font, IMHO,
    most of the time fonts and other effects are overused in place of good
    content.

    I'd have to grep my style sheets, but I don't believe that I ever specify
    a font-face anywhere on my pages.[1]

    [1] Ah... I lied, kinda. I have some JS code that draws text on canvas.
    In that setting, a font *must* be specified, so we choose sanserif.
    Jeremy J Starcher, May 26, 2010
  10. Mel Smith

    Mel Smith Guest

    Lewis said:

    > I like the looks of Droid Serif a lot and Reenie Beanie, so one of those
    > I think.
    >
    > All of them are quite decent looking.
    >
    > Cardo is nice too.

    Lews et al:

    Thanks for the comments and suggestions !

    -Mel Smith
    Mel Smith, May 27, 2010
  11. On Thu, 27 May 2010 01:04:48 +0000, Lewis wrote:

    >> Or some users, like me, choose the fonts *they* want in their browser
    >> setup and dislike when those fonts are overridden for no good reason.

    > Don't allow pages to override your font choices.

    I'm aware of that option, but alas, it has limitations. I've found
    enough times when someone changes font to get Webdings or other special
    characters ...
    Jeremy J Starcher, May 27, 2010