    Controlling complexity is the essence of computer programming.
    ~ Brian W. Kernighan 1942-01-01
    ..

    Roedy Green, Jun 14, 2012

  2. In article <>,
    Roedy Green <> wrote:

    > I notice on windows, a single font is composed of four or more *.ttf
    > files in C:\windows.
    >
    > What glues these together to be considered as a single font in Java?
    >
    > Does the OS have its own means?
    >
    > is there something inside the ttf files crosslinking?
    >
    > Is there a master file somewhere pointing to all the variants?
    >
    > Does java look for fonts with similar names?

    At a guess, they are sub-family variations of style and weight. Lower
    quality fonts derive such variations from a single glyph outline, while
    higher quality fonts have separate definitions.

    <http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?item_id=IWS-Chapter08>

    --
    John B. Matthews
    trashgod at gmail dot com