Forms Authentication problem

David

Hi all,

I have a problem with Forms Auth. I am not using the protected folder
method, rather, I want some parts of the page to be shown depending on the
authentication state.

Basically, I have a dashboard application. In the dashboard, I have various
hyperlinks and linkbuttons. I have also created roles and each user will be
assigned a role and the buttons in the dashboard will depend on the role. If
the person is not authenticated, then the dashboard does not even show.

This works fantastically, though took me a while to figure it out (as all
the examples of formsauth on the net show you to protect a folder, which is
not what I wanted.)

Now, the structure of my site is like...

root (application)
Admin (application)
Apps_VB (application)
Apps_CS (application)
Folder1
Folder2

Now, when I have logged in and get my dashboard, one of the buttons pops up
a page from my Admin folder (which is declared as an application in IIS).
This may be the problem but I need to find a way around it.

The pop-up from the Admin folder checks my user.isauthenticated but finds it
is not, even though the button to pop it will not be visible if the parent
app was not authenticated.

How can I get my authentication to be passed into the Admin part of my
application? Any ideas will be most appreciated.
--
Best regards,
Dave Colliver.

Guest

[...]

To configure forms authentication across two applications, you should
use the same machineKey in web.config of your root and admin.

<machineKey
validationKey="..."
decryptionKey="..."
validation="SHA1" />

Forms Authentication Across Applications
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/eb0zx8fc.aspx

How to create keys by using Visual C# .NET for use in Forms
authentication
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312906