Forms Based Authentication and AD and Roles and Security Trimming!

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Eric, Nov 1, 2006.

  1. Eric

    Eric Guest

    Hello there,

    I've looked everywhere and cannot find a solution to this. Have you
    seen an implementation of forms based authentication to AD WITH roles
    WITH security trimming? Would you recommend this? How do you go about
    it?

    So, I've implemented Forms Authentication w/ Active Directory as per
    the following article:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnpag2/html/PAGHT000026.asp.
    I'm wondering what options are available to me if I'd like to use
    securitytrimming=true via roles. I attempted to implement the
    sqlroleprovider and did not have much luck. It would never show me ANY
    links (even after being logged in and being a part of the permitted
    roles). Can you tell me what you've implemented or have seen
    implemented using forms authentication w/ active directory for
    roles/security trimming?

    Some background: I'm developing an "intranet" app that both employees
    and students will be using. I'm putting it into one app because
    certain tasks will be utilized by both employees and students. What
    would you recommend in my situation? I've chosen forms based
    authentication because we will have students logging in and they may
    not be on the domain... the windows authentication prompt that pops up
    for integrated windows auth doesn't tell them to use their student ID
    and it's just not friendly. I'm thinking my problems would be solved
    if I just made it two separate apps but problems with that include:
    knowing 2 separate addresses, developing the same code for 2 separate
    apps, etc. My problem with this is that I'm duplicating code and our
    intranet users would be confused as to where to go to do what.

    Personally, I'm fine with using AD or SQL for the role store. I would
    think SQL would be faster and using the sqlroleprovider would give me
    more benefits such as methods to add a user to a role, etc.

    Thanks for any advice!

    Eric, Nov 1, 2006