    Thank you

    Daniel

    , Jun 27, 2008

  2. On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 15:22:29 -0700, rubbishemail wrote:

    > Hello,
    >

    > can anybody recommend a simple USB or PCI framegrabber with video input
    > that runs under xp and has a python driver available? I just want to get
    > the image into a file, no special requirements.
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > Daniel

    I'm not familiar with hardware framegrabbers, but you might consider
    something like VMware as an alternative. It'll allow you to do
    screenshots too, without any extra hardware (OK, it needs a machine with
    enough disk and RAM).

    Dan Stromberg, Jun 29, 2008

  3. Tim Roberts Guest

    wrote:

    >can anybody recommend a simple USB or PCI framegrabber with video
    >input that runs under xp and has a python driver available? I just
    >want to get the image into a file, no special requirements.

    There are a vast range of inexpensive web cams that will do this job.
    Logitech makes a bunch. Most of the cheap imported still cameras can also
    do it. The Disney still cams at Target (made by Digital Blue) would work.

    Are you looking for something more industrial?
    --
    Tim Roberts,
    Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

    Tim Roberts, Jun 30, 2008

    On Jun 29, 11:36 pm, Tim Roberts <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > >can anybody recommend a simple USB or PCI framegrabber with video
    > >input that runs under xp and has a python driver available? I just
    > >want to get the image into a file, no special requirements.

    > There are a vast range of inexpensive web cams that will do this job.
    > Logitech makes a bunch.  Most of the cheap imported still cameras can also
    > do it.  The Disney still cams at Target (made by Digital Blue) would work.
    >
    > Are you looking for something more industrial?

    I already bought a microscope with a ccd camera (no digital output,
    only video signal), so far the image is displayed on a screen.
    I want to acquire the images by a python software, which is running
    the experiment.
    For this reason I need a framegrabber, but I want to buy one that I
    can easyly integrate, i.e. call from python.

    Daniel

    , Jun 30, 2008
  5. MRAB Guest

    On Jun 30, 8:07 pm, wrote:
    > On Jun 29, 11:36 pm, Tim Roberts <> wrote:> wrote:
    >
    > > >can anybody recommend a simple USB or PCI framegrabber with video
    > > >input that runs under xp and has a python driver available? I just
    > > >want to get the image into a file, no special requirements.

    > > There are a vast range of inexpensive web cams that will do this job.
    > > Logitech makes a bunch.  Most of the cheap imported still cameras can also
    > > do it.  The Disney still cams at Target (made by Digital Blue) would work.

    > > Are you looking for something more industrial?

    > I already bought a microscope with a ccd camera (no digital output,
    > only video signal), so far the image is displayed on a screen.
    > I want to acquire the images by a python  software, which is running
    > the experiment.
    > For this reason I need a framegrabber, but I want to buy one that I
    > can easyly integrate, i.e. call from python.
    >
    > Daniel

    Do you mean something like this?

    Easy Cap Audio-Video Capturing Adapter
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AvT8JQ7NzI

    I have no idea whether it would be suitable, but it's a start! :)

    MRAB, Jul 1, 2008

    > Do you mean something like this?
    >
    > Easy Cap Audio-Video Capturing Adapter http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AvT8JQ7NzI

    this would be suitable, if it had a documented driver, some sites said
    it could only be used with the included
    software. many bad comments, though:
    http://forums.ebay.com/db1/thread.jspa?threadID=2000392978&start=40

    I found this library
    http://videocapture.sourceforge.net/
    which may be useful to others

    I will probably go for a TWAIN enabled grabber like
    http://www.zarbeco.com/usb_videolink.htm
    and use
    twainmodule.sourceforge.net/

    An alternative would be to use directshow, which seems to be supported
    by many cameras:
    http://directpython.sourceforge.net/index.html

    thanks for your input

    Daniel