Frames in Web Design

Andy

Hi all,

is there any point in learning about Frames in a web design course?

Thanks,

Andy ;-)

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Andy said:
is there any point in learning about Frames in a web design course?

No. Unless there is some really rare and particular need. I've never
found it.

C A Upsdell

Andy said:
is there any point in learning about Frames in a web design course?

It is probably worthwhile to learn a little about the *drawbacks* of
frames so that, if someone pressures you to use them, you can dissuade them.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Andy <[email protected]>
writing in @f37g2000yqn.googlegroups.com:
Hi all,

is there any point in learning about Frames in a web design course?

Thanks,

Andy ;-)

Yes, you should learn about frames, just so you know what the drawbacks
are.

I have found that frames can have their uses, if they are done
correctly. I have created framed pages that were only for intranet use
only. The one thing that is good about frames is they are resizeable
and AFAIK, you cannot reproduce that with just HTML/CSS. But IMHO the
disadvantages out weigh the advantages, at least for the WWW.

Sometimes registrars will use frames for domain forwarding.
Register.com does this, if you don't want to pay the $45.00 a year to do
a 301. This is bad if you want search engines to know about the new
domain, because they get a 200 found, not the 301 moved permantently. It
is bad for the user because they can't bookmark, print, know the new
domain name, etc.

My advice is this, if you want to do domain forwarding, make sure you
talk to the registrar first to see how they do it, etc. If they don't
do it the right way, change registrars.

Raymond Schmit

Hi all,

is there any point in learning about Frames in a web design course?

Thanks,

I never had big problems with frames (a lot of people think that i am
a stupid guy because i use frames)

There is a lot of HTML Tutorials that speaks about frames, here is
some of them.

http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/frames/frames.html
http://www.echoecho.com/htmlframes.htm
http://www.tizag.com/htmlT/frames.php
http://www.htmlgoodies.com/tutorials/frames/

I like the following implementation that permit you to change
completely your website with a new title and a new menu.
http://www.htmlgoodies.com/legacy/tutorials/frames/2atonce.html

dorayme

Andy said:
Hi all,

is there any point in learning about Frames in a web design course?

If you are wondering if you should do a course on frames, probably not!
But if the subject of frames is one section, of course, yes, it is part
of a tradition. And you might even use them where the disadvantages are
not important.

Jonathan N. Little

Raymond said:
I never had big problems with frames (a lot of people think that i am
a stupid guy because i use frames)

Not stupid, just obsolete. Frames were an attempt to solve a problem
that is now better served with server side technologies that were either
not readily available or too expensive back in 1995.

dorayme

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Thenk yew for the well-balanced article. :)

"My purpose in writing this article is to explain how to work around the
problems with frames, partly in an attempt to show how much harder they
make authoring when done properly, ... "

Ah, you were wanting balance to mean an article just extolling frames. I
will pass on that one.

Travis Newbury

is there any point in learning about Frames in a web design course?

For a website? Probably not.

For a Web based Application? Maybe so.

For Web based Training (SCORM/AICC) Absolutely.

Andy

Hi all,

is there any point in learning about Frames in a web design course?

Thanks,

Andy ;-)
----------------------

Thanks everyone for the replies, extra links ;-)

Andy ;-)

Harlan Messinger

Raymond said:
I never had big problems with frames (a lot of people think that i am
a stupid guy because i use frames)

It might be a problem for your users that they can't pass on to someone
else the URL of a given "page" because, to the browser, all the "pages"
are a single frameset page having a single address.
There is a lot of HTML Tutorials that speaks about frames, here is
some of them.

http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/frames/frames.html
http://www.echoecho.com/htmlframes.htm
http://www.tizag.com/htmlT/frames.php
http://www.htmlgoodies.com/tutorials/frames/

I like the following implementation that permit you to change
completely your website with a new title and a new menu.
http://www.htmlgoodies.com/legacy/tutorials/frames/2atonce.html

You can do that equally easily using an #include file or another more
elaborate server-side technology.

Raymond Schmit

It might be a problem for your users that they can't pass on to someone
else the URL of a given "page" because, to the browser, all the "pages"
are a single frameset page having a single address.

I agree ... but my sites are not a big one and the menu is clear
enough... BUT .... if the guy would pass a given page and to be sure
that the receiver will show only this, the guy could right-click on
the link in the menu, choice the "open in new window" ..... than copy
this url and sent this info.
You can do that equally easily using an #include file or another more
elaborate server-side technology.

My ISP did not give us "server-side technology" ...

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (e-mail address removed) (Raymond
Schmit) writing in
My ISP did not give us "server-side technology" ...

Then you could use a preprocessor.

Raymond Schmit

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (e-mail address removed) (Raymond
Schmit) writing in

Then you could use a preprocessor.

I prefer to stay with notepad only :) instead of having two different
wbeb pages (the ones before the preprocessor - and the ones after
preprocessor)