Framework 1.0 to 1.1 conversion

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Luc Bisson, Nov 4, 2003.

  1. Luc Bisson

    Luc Bisson Guest

    Hi all,

    We are using Framework 1.0 for all our ASP.NET and Windows application
    projects.

    We plan on going to Framework 1.1.

    On MSDN, they say that for Windows application, we have to add a section in
    the configuration file so the application will be forced to use the 1.1
    framework.

    For an ASP.NET Application, on installing, the 1.1 Framwork, the ISAPI
    filter will automatically change to the 1.1 filter at the root of IIS. So,
    by default, the ASP.NET will use the new framework if not told different on
    the web site level.

    But what about a class library project or assemblies that are in the GAC?
    Is there a way for those components to use the 1.1 framework and not having
    them to be recompiled with VS 2003?

    Since those components doesn't have a configuration file and are using a
    strongly typed name is there a way to tell those components to use 1.1?

    Thank's for any idea.

    Luc Bisson, Nov 4, 2003

  2. Luc Bisson

    Feisar Powi Guest

    > Is there a way for those components to use the 1.1 framework and not
    having
    > them to be recompiled with VS 2003?

    Why not?

    Feisar Powi, Nov 8, 2003

  3. Hi Luc,

    Thanks for posting to the newsgroup.

    If you need to set specific criteria for a DLL then you could use a
    Publisher Policy assembly. Take a look at
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...ide/html/cpconCreatingPublisherPolicyFile.asp
    for more information.

    If that doesn't work for you, then you could also possibly use binding
    redirects in the executable's web.config file, using the
    "<supportedRuntime>" element. See
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...pcondeterminingwhatversionofruntimetoload.asp
    for more info. If this is the route you want to go, you may want to make
    the change in the machine.config file, but I'd be careful doing that because
    it is global for all apps on the box...

    Hope this helps!
    bliz

    --
    Jim Blizzard, MCSD .NET
    Community Developer Evangelist | http://www.microsoft.com/communities

    Your Potential. Our Passion.

    This posting is provided as is, without warranty, and confers no rights.

    Jim Blizzard [MSFT], Nov 19, 2003