    Please leave feedback so I can fine tune the last 10%.

    Thanks,

    David
    Jemdam.com, Oct 28, 2005

  2. Jemdam.com

    Jim Higson Guest

    Jemdam.com wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have finished my pixel advertising site which is totally free to use.
    > Thanks to all the people on here who helped with a few initial problems.
    > I'm now in the final testing and I think it all works. So if you have a
    > website of your own vist my new site and get yourself a free link. You can
    > help me test it and you will get some free traffic.
    >
    > http://www.pixelverts.com
    >
    > Please leave feedback so I can fine tune the last 10%.

    A couple of times I clicked "add... " and got a closed connection.

    Just out of interest, what do you see as the draw for normal users to visit
    your site? There doesn't seem to be content other than adverts, and it is
    difficult to see where the adverts lead. Are you hoping people will
    regularly use it as a portal site?

    As a bit of usability feedback, why not give the ad links a title so people
    know what kind of site they're visiting before they click? I can't think
    why I'd just click an image of a pumpkin or the letter "i" with no idea
    where it would take me. I mean, it could be *anything*, or is that the
    point?
    Jim Higson, Oct 29, 2005

  3. Jemdam.com

    Jemdam.com Guest

    >> http://www.pixelverts.com
    >>
    >> Please leave feedback so I can fine tune the last 10%.

    > A couple of times I clicked "add... " and got a closed connection.

    That may be my host, it can be a bit poor sometimes!

    > Just out of interest, what do you see as the draw for normal users to
    > visit
    > your site? There doesn't seem to be content other than adverts, and it is
    > difficult to see where the adverts lead. Are you hoping people will
    > regularly use it as a portal site?

    The draw is just all the other people coming to keep their adverts live.
    When the pages are full the traffic volume will be very high.

    > As a bit of usability feedback, why not give the ad links a title so
    > people
    > know what kind of site they're visiting before they click? I can't think
    > why I'd just click an image of a pumpkin or the letter "i" with no idea
    > where it would take me. I mean, it could be *anything*, or is that the
    > point?

    There is a technical reason for this. If I used an image map and an alt tag
    for a title then the HTML page would be close to 1 meg just for the image
    map. I agree it would be nice but the surprise element could be a good
    thing.

    Thanks for the feedback.

    http://www.pixelverts.com
    Jemdam.com, Oct 30, 2005
  4. Jemdam.com

    Jim Higson Guest

    Jemdam.com wrote:

    >>> http://www.pixelverts.com
    >>>
    >>> Please leave feedback so I can fine tune the last 10%.

    >> A couple of times I clicked "add... " and got a closed connection.

    > That may be my host, it can be a bit poor sometimes!
    >

    >> Just out of interest, what do you see as the draw for normal users to
    >> visit
    >> your site? There doesn't seem to be content other than adverts, and it is
    >> difficult to see where the adverts lead. Are you hoping people will
    >> regularly use it as a portal site?

    > The draw is just all the other people coming to keep their adverts live.
    > When the pages are full the traffic volume will be very high.

    So the target user is advert placers and their users trying to keep on the
    site?

    >> As a bit of usability feedback, why not give the ad links a title so
    >> people
    >> know what kind of site they're visiting before they click? I can't think
    >> why I'd just click an image of a pumpkin or the letter "i" with no idea
    >> where it would take me. I mean, it could be *anything*, or is that the
    >> point?

    > There is a technical reason for this. If I used an image map and an alt
    > tag for a title then the HTML page would be close to 1 meg just for the
    > image map. I agree it would be nice but the surprise element could be a
    > good thing.

    Oh, I see. It's just one big image, I imagined they'd all be little seperate
    ones.

    FYI, the title attribute should be used for giving links a title, not alt.
    MSIE happens to display alt text as a popup when hovering a link, but
    that's only because they don't really understand the spec very well, all
    browsers would show the title attribute.

    Jim Higson, Oct 31, 2005
  5. Jemdam.com

    Jemdam.com Guest

    >> There is a technical reason for this. If I used an image map and an alt
    >> tag for a title then the HTML page would be close to 1 meg just for the
    >> image map. I agree it would be nice but the surprise element could be a
    >> good thing.

    > Oh, I see. It's just one big image, I imagined they'd all be little
    > seperate
    > ones.

    I went for one image as I imagined if I had 10000 small ones some would fail
    to load

    Jemdam.com, Nov 1, 2005