Freeware Word to HTML ?

John Fitzsimons

Using Word to save to HTML doesn't give good code. Having searched
for a freeware solution I came across numerous programs that weren't
freeware, didn't install on a win 98SE system (though advertising that
they did) or simply didn't work.

Can anyone here recommend a solution that actually WORKS and will
install on a win 98SE system please ?

Regards, John.

Nik Coughlin

John Fitzsimons said:
Using Word to save to HTML doesn't give good code. Having searched
for a freeware solution I came across numerous programs that weren't
freeware, didn't install on a win 98SE system (though advertising that
they did) or simply didn't work.

Can anyone here recommend a solution that actually WORKS and will
install on a win 98SE system please ?

Save as HTML from Word then run through HTMLTidy

Easiest way to do it on Windows is to use is TidyGui, which works on all
Win32 platforms so 98SE should be fine

There is an option in TidyGui for "file was output by MS Word" or something
like that

Lars Eighner

the said:
Can anyone here recommend a solution that actually WORKS and will
install on a win 98SE system please ?

If you have perl, there is demoronizer. It will be about the first hit for
its name on google.

Gary Peek

John said:
Using Word to save to HTML doesn't give good code. Having searched
for a freeware solution I came across numerous programs that weren't
freeware, didn't install on a win 98SE system (though advertising that
they did) or simply didn't work.

Can anyone here recommend a solution that actually WORKS and will
install on a win 98SE system please ?

I wrote a simple utility to simplify the lousy HTML that Word
generates with "save as HTML". It has a number of options to
play with, and it strips out things very aggressively, so your
mileage may very. http://www.garypeek.com/basic/ called xtag.exe

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Nik Coughlin:
Save as HTML from Word then run through HTMLTidy

Last time I checked, Tidy messed things up somewhat, e.g. introducing a
confusing jungle of <span> elements with oddly named class attributes.

I think the only things that really need fixing after Save as HTML,
Compressed (or whatever it's called in each version of Word) are the
width attributes for table cells and excessive use of <p> markup. And
the <style> elements, of course, but they are easily removed.

Don

Using Word to save to HTML doesn't give good code. Having searched
for a freeware solution I came across numerous programs that weren't
freeware, didn't install on a win 98SE system (though advertising that
they did) or simply didn't work.

Can anyone here recommend a solution that actually WORKS and will
install on a win 98SE system please ?

Regards, John.

Here's a link to a Word tool that does a decent job, although incomplete:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=MICROSFOT+OFFICE+HTML+FILTER+2.0
&btnG=Google+Search

Word was NEVER intended ny MS to be a an html poublisher, rather a
transport medioum to assure the returm of Word vrested htnl back into am
original Word Doc.

Raymond SCHMIT

Using Word to save to HTML doesn't give good code. Having searched
for a freeware solution I came across numerous programs that weren't
freeware, didn't install on a win 98SE system (though advertising that
they did) or simply didn't work.

Can anyone here recommend a solution that actually WORKS and will
install on a win 98SE system please ?
With Word 2003 you may save as....
Web Page(*.htm; *.html)
or as...
Web Page, filtered(*.htm; *.html).

John Fitzsimons

Save as HTML from Word then run through HTMLTidy
Easiest way to do it on Windows is to use is TidyGui, which works on all
Win32 platforms so 98SE should be fine
There is an option in TidyGui for "file was output by MS Word" or something
like that

Okay, will investigate. Thank you also for pointing out that option. I
probably wouldn't have noticed it.

Regards, John.

John Fitzsimons

With Word 2003 you may save as....
Web Page(*.htm; *.html)
or as...
Web Page, filtered(*.htm; *.html).

Not sure 2003 works on a 98SE system. I will however look at it on an
XP system sometime. Thank you for the suggestion.

Regards, John.