ftp gui.

cykill

Hi. I'm trying to create a webpage that will act as an ftp client. I'm
stuck on authenticating ftp user name and password. since the ftp user
account is actually a windows account, can this be authenticated using
asp?

Guest

You can authenticate the windows account of the person accessing the page on
an intranet by turning of anonymous access in IIS which will make their
machine authenticate and will populate the Context.User propety.
If its over the intranet then you can call LogonUser in advapi.dll in the
windows api which will tell you if the account details are correct. This
requires privilages on the web server though (namely - 'act as part of the
operating system', and 'bypass traverse checking' and 'create a security
token'). As a security precaution it is advisable not to give these to
ASP.NET so it might be better to put the code on a secured box and call it
via WCF, Remoting, Webservices from the web app.

HTH

Ciaran O'Donnell
http://wannabedeveloper.spaces.live.com