Fullscreen

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Goldie, Jan 22, 2004.

  1. Goldie

    Goldie Guest

    Hi,
    I am pretty poor at JavaScript so if this is a stupid question I apologise
    in advance.

    I am wanting to make the index.html page of a site open the browser up in
    Full screen mode.

    I understand I can do this when the viewer clicks a link to the page but I
    want it to happen when the viewer comes to the site by either typing the
    address in or a link from another source.

    Is it possible?

    All I want the browser to do is open up full screen like when the F11 button
    is pressed in IE so if they wish to reduce the screen they still can get to
    the top bar.

    I am aware the behaviour of Netscape and other browsers could be different.
    But I am tailoring this site to IE.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    TIA

    Goldie

    Goldie, Jan 22, 2004

  2. Goldie wrote:

    > I am wanting to make the index.html page of a site open the browser up in
    > Full screen mode.

    Why?! WHY?! Argh!

    http://www.stud.tu-ilmenau.de/~thla-in/scripts/fullscreen.jpg

    > I understand I can do this when the viewer clicks a link to the page but I
    > want it to happen when the viewer comes to the site by either typing the
    > address in or a link from another source.
    >
    > Is it possible?

    No

    > All I want the browser to do is open up full screen like when the F11
    > button is pressed in IE so if they wish to reduce the screen they still
    > can get to the top bar.

    If the user wants that, then the user can press F11.

    > I am aware the behaviour of Netscape and other browsers could be
    > different. But I am tailoring this site to IE.

    How shortsighted.

    --
    David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>

    David Dorward, Jan 22, 2004

  3. Goldie

    Goldie Guest

    So basically what your saying in as few words as a caveman knows is I am not
    allowed to have any rules?

    Goldie

    Goldie, Jan 23, 2004
  4. Goldie

    Randy Webb Guest

    Goldie wrote:

    > So basically what your saying in as few words as a caveman knows is I am not
    > allowed to have any rules?

    http://webtips.dan.info/force.html

    And you should read the group FAQ, with regards to posting, quoting, and
    snipping.

    --
    Randy
    Chance Favors The Prepared Mind

    Randy Webb, Jan 23, 2004
  5. Goldie wrote:

    I suggest you learn how to use Usenet:

    > So basically what your saying in as few words as a caveman knows is I am
    > not allowed to have any rules?

    Rules? Do you consider: "Nobody is allowed to look at website unless their
    window covers their entire desktop, no matter what their preferences are,
    no matter how stupid it looks, no matter how hard it makes the site to
    actually use!" the sort of 'rule' that makes any sense whatsoever?

    --
    David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>

    David Dorward, Jan 23, 2004
  6. Goldie

    kaeli Guest

    In article <CTZPb.393$>, "Goldie"
    <andrew.goldstein(SPAM)@virgin.net> enlightened us with...
    > So basically what your saying in as few words as a caveman knows is I am not
    > allowed to have any rules?

    Sure. But they would be best if they followed convention.
    And that convention is generally "don't piss off your users". heh

    Fullscreen is one of the few things people do that make me either turn
    off script or never visit the site again.
    Then again, I now use NN/Mozilla and have my settings set so that you
    simply can't do that to me. Nor can you open popups I didn't ask for or
    change my status bar. :)

    And requiring IE means your user also has to have Windows. F*** the Unix
    and Mac people, eh?
    Thanks a lot.

    ~kaeli~
    If a book about failures doesn't sell, is it a success?
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

    kaeli, Jan 23, 2004
  7. Goldie

    Goldie Guest

    But some people are uneducated and think that browsing using a 17" screen
    and actually using 10" of it is the way that the browsing experience is
    supposed to be.
    Why buy a big monitor and not use the screen?
    Do you Kaeli have 14" portable TV in your front room or a bigger screen?

    Not a great deal of new users may know the fullscreen mode and if it is
    given to them then perhaps they will use it in future?

    I mean come on what are you expecting the toolbars to do? change?
    They just sit there doing nothing until you need them.

    If I can get back to the first point I made.
    I am wanting to do this to a website. I have not said that I will be
    publishing this site on the net.
    I may very well be using it as an example for other new users.

    I am also aware of the Usenet
    So the smartass's who think sitting behind a clever comment is big are
    shallower than their mates give them abuse for being.

    Goldie

    Goldie, Jan 23, 2004
  8. Goldie wrote:

    > But some people are uneducated and think that browsing using a 17" screen
    > and actually using 10" of it is the way that the browsing experience is
    > supposed to be.
    > Why buy a big monitor and not use the screen?
    > Do you Kaeli have 14" portable TV in your front room or a bigger screen?

    I don't even have a TV in my front room, and the only TV I do have is
    17". Not a very good point.

    > Not a great deal of new users may know the fullscreen mode and if it is
    > given to them then perhaps they will use it in future?
    >
    > I mean come on what are you expecting the toolbars to do? change?
    > They just sit there doing nothing until you need them.
    >
    > If I can get back to the first point I made.
    > I am wanting to do this to a website. I have not said that I will be
    > publishing this site on the net.
    > I may very well be using it as an example for other new users.
    >
    > I am also aware of the Usenet
    > So the smartass's who think sitting behind a clever comment is big are
    > shallower than their mates give them abuse for being.
    >
    > Goldie

    Eeek... I am shocked at what I am hearing. I use a 21 inch monitor,
    running at 1600x1200. Do you have any clue what fullscreen mode looks
    like on a screen that big? It looks terrible. No one designs to that
    standard, because most people don't use it.

    Instead, my browser window is only ever about half of my screen in both
    directions, utilizing 1/4 of my actual screen. I can use the internet,
    write code, debug my application, and check my mail... all with
    visibility to all windows.

    If my windows are covered, I consider it a problem.

    I understand, that sometimes a program requirement makes it so you have
    to do something like this... and in that case, you do what you are being
    paid to do... but if you ask a question about it on a newsgroup, you
    _will_ get opinions that you might not like, because doing something
    like this is not of convention.

    Crazy talk...

    Brian

    Brian Genisio, Jan 23, 2004
  9. On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 16:30:34 -0000, Goldie
    <andrew.goldstein(SPAM)@virgin.net> wrote:

    > But some people are uneducated and think that browsing using a 17" screen
    > and actually using 10" of it is the way that the browsing experience is
    > supposed to be.
    > Why buy a big monitor and not use the screen?
    > Do you Kaeli have 14" portable TV in your front room or a bigger screen?
    >
    > Not a great deal of new users may know the fullscreen mode and if it is
    > given to them then perhaps they will use it in future?

    Then educate your users, but never force something upon them.

    If you think your page must be viewed fullscreen, then mention it
    somewhere, discreetly, and describe on a separate page how it might be
    done in wide variety of browsers. You should also explain the need to do
    it; "Because it looks better" is not good enough. Without a good reason, a
    website should look acceptable at any reasonable resolution.

    Mike

    --
    Michael Winter

    Michael Winter, Jan 23, 2004
  10. Goldie

    Ivan Marsh Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 16:30:34 +0000, Goldie wrote:

    > But some people are uneducated and think that browsing using a 17" screen
    > and actually using 10" of it is the way that the browsing experience is
    > supposed to be.

    That's an amazingly stupid assumption.

    #1 on the don't screw with my browser bill of rights:

    DO NOT RESIZE MY BROWSER.

    Please put the URL of all the websites you work on so I can block them
    with my firewall.

    --
    i.m.

    Ivan Marsh, Jan 23, 2004
  11. Goldie

    Randy Webb Guest

    Goldie wrote:
    > But some people are uneducated and think that browsing using a 17" screen
    > and actually using 10" of it is the way that the browsing experience is
    > supposed to be.
    > Why buy a big monitor and not use the screen?
    > Do you Kaeli have 14" portable TV in your front room or a bigger screen?

    I can not speak for everyone, nor will I try. As for me personally, I
    have dual monitors, one is a 17" the other is a 19". One is set to
    1240x768, the other is set at 800x600 resolution. I did not spend the
    money to get my system set up that way to have a webdesigner come along
    and decide that all that space was just for them. As a result of that,
    you can *not* resize the size of my browsers. Any of them.

    Can you please explain how you multi-task when some obnoxious
    webdesigner blows it into fullscreen mode? And yes, I know how to do it
    but I shouldn't be forced to change in order for your website to work
    the way you want it, quite the contrary.

    > Not a great deal of new users may know the fullscreen mode and if it is
    > given to them then perhaps they will use it in future?

    Put a note on your page "To see this page fullscreen, make it full
    screen". You are underestimating the intelligence of your users to do
    otherwise.

    > I mean come on what are you expecting the toolbars to do? change?
    > They just sit there doing nothing until you need them.

    Obviously, you are unaware that fullscreen does more than remove the
    toolbars. Now, you have taken a "new user" and removed (in Windows), the
    Start Menu/taskbar and you have totally confused the very people you are
    attempting to cater to.

    > If I can get back to the first point I made.
    > I am wanting to do this to a website. I have not said that I will be
    > publishing this site on the net.
    > I may very well be using it as an example for other new users.

    Then you will ultimately fail.

    > I am also aware of the Usenet
    > So the smartass's who think sitting behind a clever comment is big are
    > shallower than their mates give them abuse for being.

    And the top of the day to you too.

    Randy Webb, Jan 23, 2004
  12. Goldie

    Lee Guest

    SPAM said:

    >But some people are uneducated and think that browsing using a 17" screen
    >and actually using 10" of it is the way that the browsing experience is
    >supposed to be.
    >Why buy a big monitor and not use the screen?

    So I can use my screen for more than one thing at a time.

    >Not a great deal of new users may know the fullscreen mode and if it is
    >given to them then perhaps they will use it in future?

    Why not also turn their speakers up full blast? Maybe there
    are some new users who don't know how loud they will go.

    >If I can get back to the first point I made.
    >I am wanting to do this to a website. I have not said that I will be
    >publishing this site on the net.
    >I may very well be using it as an example for other new users.

    That's probably the worst reason you could suggest:

    "I'm not going to do something stupid myself, I just want
    to show people who don't know any better how to do it."

    >I am also aware of the Usenet
    >So the smartass's who think sitting behind a clever comment is big are
    >shallower than their mates give them abuse for being.

    The fact that at least half a dozen people have told you that you're
    wrong, and nobody has come to your defense, should provide a clue.

    Lee, Jan 23, 2004
  13. Goldie

    kaeli Guest

    In article <K_bQb.4647$>, "Goldie"
    <andrew.goldstein(SPAM)@virgin.net> enlightened us with...
    > But some people are uneducated and think that browsing using a 17" screen
    > and actually using 10" of it is the way that the browsing experience is
    > supposed to be.

    Who the hell do you think you are telling me how MY browsing experience
    should be?

    Some of us actually know how to multitask and have large screens so we
    can see several things going on at once. In fact, some people have two
    screens, though I'm not one of them.

    > Why buy a big monitor and not use the screen?

    Why do you assume the only thing I use it for is to have a web browser
    open? In fact, why do you even assume I'm at home and it's my monitor,
    neither of which are the case?

    > Do you Kaeli have 14" portable TV in your front room or a bigger screen?

    Actually, no. What business is it of yours? Would you like to take that
    up with fullscreen, too?

    > Not a great deal of new users may know the fullscreen mode and if it is
    > given to them then perhaps they will use it in future?

    The people who don't know about it won't know how to get out of it. I
    can tell you for a fact that my Mother (bless her un-computer-savvy
    soul) would have no clue how to do a thing once in fullscreen, then
    she'd be calling me asking what she did wrong. She did the last time
    some moron did that to her browser.

    > I mean come on what are you expecting the toolbars to do? change?

    You expect that taking over my entire window will please me? If I wanted
    that, I'd ask for it.

    > I am also aware of the Usenet
    > So the smartass's who think sitting behind a clever comment is big are
    > shallower than their mates give them abuse for being.

    That made a lot of sense.
    So, you have no decent argument and decide to fall back on name calling.
    How mature.
    And the plural of smartass is smartasses.

    Good day.

    ~kaeli~
    A plateau is a high form of flattery.

    kaeli, Jan 23, 2004
  14. David Dorward wrote:

    > Goldie wrote:
    >> I am wanting to make the index.html page of a site open the browser up in
    >> Full screen mode.

    > Why?! WHY?! Argh!
    >
    > http://www.stud.tu-ilmenau.de/~thla-in/scripts/fullscreen.jpg

    Full ACK :)

    Please use <http://pointedears.de.vu/scripts/fullscreen.jpg> instead,
    for the university account is volatile. Note: The original is linked in
    dcljs-FFQ <http://praast.de/ffq/abfrage/#monitor> (see "Fullscreen ├╝ber
    2 Monitore") and the image's author allowed to copy it.

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Feb 12, 2004