FXRuby design questions

Richard Lionheart

Hi,

I just started working through FXRuby examples and have a couple of
questions about http://www.fxruby.org/examples/hello2.rb , whuich provides a
nice ToolTip demo:

1. The syntax of the "FXPNGIcon.new(application, f.read)" statement would
lead me to think the icon is being attached to the application (e.g., for
purpose of displaying the app in an OS' toolbar when it runs, perhaps)
rather than in the application's FXMainWindow instance. I'd expect it to
have a "main" argument explicitly naming the window to which it should be
attached, as FxButton.new does.

2. FXTooltip.new's failure to name any particular object leads me to think
it should wire a tooltip into every object in the application (or rather,
the app's main window?) that's built to generate a tooltip, and that the
tooltip text is to be gotten from each such object's caption text (using
everything following the first tab.)

The documentation I found for these classes on FXRuby.org | API Reference
Docs doesn't address these issues (yet). Understanding them would help me
(and others, I imagine) use the good-looking GUI package more effectively.

I had originally addressed this question to Hal Fulton, who said he'd post
it on a lightly use FXRuby mail list. I couldn't find any newsgroup that
mirrored this list (as giganews.com does for this list), so I decided to
post the question here.

Any comments would be appreciated, even those that think this is a
worthless set of questions :)

TIA,
Richard

Richard Lionheart

Hi Lyle,

Thanks for the guidance.
I didn't know about this!
If you follow the "Documentation" link from the main page ...
That's the kind of stuff I was looking for; Great!
To be sure, the documentation for FXRuby needs to be improved. On the
other hand, I don't want it to become redundant ...
Don't do that on my account ... At first glance, I think the stuff at this
link will be very helpful.
FXRuby users' list and foxgui-users list
OK, I'll subscribe to them for a while, though I've built up a big bias in
favor of the newsgroup paradigm :)

Again, Lyle, thanks for your info. It's much appreciated by this Ruby
newbie ... well, not quite so new anymore :)

Regards,
Richard