    Thanks
    Jay
    , May 6, 2008

  2. Tricky Guest

    On May 6, 7:07 pm, wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > My background is in Software Engineering C,C++,Java and Unix. I am
    > getting started with VHDL and Verilog. What is the good way/books/
    > websites/training to get started? I have B.S. and M.S. in Computer
    > Engineering. Also, what is the learning curve in VHDL and Verilog?
    >
    > Please let me know.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Jay

    First thing to do is to get fully immersed in digital electronics.
    Trying to write VHDL or verilog from a software approach will only
    lead to failure. These are not programming language, they are
    description languages. There is some cross-over, but for synthesizable
    code you cannot write like a programmer.

    Theres a nice web-page with all the basic gates, register types and
    much more explained and demostrated (via a great JAVA interface) at
    http://tams-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/applets/hades/webdemos/00-intro/00-welcome/chapter.html
    Tricky, May 7, 2008

  3. Tricky wrote:

    > ... for synthesizable
    > code you cannot write like a programmer.

    I can write a synthesis *process* like a programmer,
    http://mysite.verizon.net/miketreseler/stack.vhd
    but I can't wire them together like a programmer.

    > Theres a nice web-page with all the basic gates, register types and
    > much more explained and demostrated (via a great JAVA interface) at
    > http://tams-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/applets/hades/webdemos/00-intro/00-welcome/chapter.html

    Nice digital demo. Thanks.

    -- Mike Treseler
    Mike Treseler, May 7, 2008