    I would also like the ability to create application 'forms' visually.
    I'm on a Windows XP machine.

    Any suggestions on what I should install next?

    Kamilche, Jun 13, 2004

  2. Kamilche

    Ivan Herman Guest

    I am also a jEdit user... can you give the URL of this plugin?

    Thank you

    Ivan

    Ivan Herman, Jun 13, 2004

  3. Richard Townsend wrote:
    >>Any suggestions on what I should install next?

    > Have a look at SPE: http://spe.pycs.net/

    SPE appears to be a good editor.

    PythonWin, aging a bit now, but is both a good editor and provides a
    debug environment.

    Colin W.

    Colin J. Williams, Jun 13, 2004
  4. Kamilche

    Ian Parker Guest

    In message <>, Kamilche
    <> writes
    >I love Python, but I'm less than in love with IDLE. It's OK, but it
    >really doesn't have enough capabilities.
    >
    >What I consider critical, are a popdown listing of all my functions,
    >colored syntax printing, and a right-click 'definition' context menu
    >that will hop you to the spot where that keyword is defined, if
    >possible. Everything else I could learn to do without, but these
    >features keep me hoping for a better IDE for Python.
    >
    >I'm used to the Microsoft Visual C++ debugger, and though tooltip
    >variable debugging and intellisense were nice, they broke often enough
    >that you couldn't rely on them anyway, so I don't really need those
    >features.
    >
    >I would also like the ability to create application 'forms' visually.
    >I'm on a Windows XP machine.
    >
    >Any suggestions on what I should install next?

    I'm a fan of UltraEdit. To achieve the desired functionality, you'll
    need to add the optional Python "wordfile" (syntax highlighting and
    function list) and ctags jumping to symbol definition). You'll find it
    at www.ultraedit.com. I can't recommend anything for the form designer
    but following the other poster's advice I'm now looking at wxglade.

    --
    Ian Parker

    Ian Parker, Jun 13, 2004
  5. Kamilche

    Dominic Guest

    Ivan Herman wrote:

    > I am also a jEdit user... can you give the URL of this plugin?

    Yes, sure.

    http://jpydbg.sourceforge.net/

    For debugging I had to add my sources path to
    a shell variable. I think it was PYTHONPATH.
    Otherwise your "imports" won't work.

    Ciao,
    Dominic

    Dominic, Jun 13, 2004
  6. Kamilche

    Kamilche Guest

    Thanks for your responses everyone! I'll go take a look at them all.

    Kamilche, Jun 13, 2004
  7. Kamilche

    Mitja Guest

    Ian Parker <>
    (news:) wrote:
    > In message <>, Kamilche
    > <> writes
    >> I love Python, but I'm less than in love with IDLE. It's OK, but it
    >> really doesn't have enough capabilities.
    >>
    >> What I consider critical, are a popdown listing of all my functions,
    >> colored syntax printing, and a right-click 'definition' context menu
    >> that will hop you to the spot where that keyword is defined, if
    >> possible. Everything else I could learn to do without, but these
    >> features keep me hoping for a better IDE for Python.
    >>
    >> I'm used to the Microsoft Visual C++ debugger, and though tooltip
    >> variable debugging and intellisense were nice, they broke often
    >> enough that you couldn't rely on them anyway, so I don't really need
    >> those features.
    >>
    >> I would also like the ability to create application 'forms' visually.
    >> I'm on a Windows XP machine.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions on what I should install next?

    > I'm a fan of UltraEdit. To achieve the desired functionality, you'll
    > need to add the optional Python "wordfile" (syntax highlighting and

    I like UE too, but does its syntax coloring support Python's triple qutes? I
    couldn't get it to work.

    Mitja, Jun 13, 2004

  8. > >
    > > I'm a fan of UltraEdit. To achieve the desired functionality, you'll
    > > need to add the optional Python "wordfile" (syntax highlighting and

    > I like UE too, but does its syntax coloring support Python's triple qutes? I
    > couldn't get it to work.

    this works if the triple quote is idented.

    ------- begin PY wordfile --------
    /L9"Python" Line Comment = # Block Escape Char = \ File Extensions = PY PYC
    /Indent Strings = ":"
    /Block Comment On = """
    /Block Comment Off = """
    /Function String 1 = "%[ ,^t]++def[ ]+^([a-zA-Z0-9_]+*^):"
    /Function String 2 = "%[ ,^t]++^(##[ a-zA-Z0-9_]+*^)##"
    /Function String 3 = "%[ ,^t]++^(class[ ]+[a-zA-Z0-9_]+*^):"
    /Delimiters = []{}()<>='.,:+
    ------ snip ------------

    hth,
    tlviewer

    gnu valued customer, Jun 13, 2004
  9. (Kamilche) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I love Python, but I'm less than in love with IDLE. It's OK, but it
    > really doesn't have enough capabilities.
    >
    > What I consider critical, are a popdown listing of all my functions,
    > colored syntax printing, and a right-click 'definition' context menu
    > that will hop you to the spot where that keyword is defined, if
    > possible. Everything else I could learn to do without, but these
    > features keep me hoping for a better IDE for Python.

    The problem is that you need more then file level scope for this. For
    example the information about all projects and runtime files must be
    keept in memory.
    Only WingIDE and the upcoming Arachno Python IDE can do this.

    > I would also like the ability to create application 'forms' visually.
    > I'm on a Windows XP machine.

    AFAIK only BOA, Black Adder and WXDesigner do this, maybe the Komodo
    TK gui builder can be used with python.

    Lothar Scholz, Jun 13, 2004
  10. Kamilche

    Ian Parker Guest

    In message <wH3zc.18321$>, gnu valued
    customer <> writes

    >> > I'm a fan of UltraEdit. To achieve the desired functionality, you'll
    >> > need to add the optional Python "wordfile" (syntax highlighting and

    >> I like UE too, but does its syntax coloring support Python's triple qutes? I
    >> couldn't get it to work.

    >this works if the triple quote is idented.
    >
    >------- begin PY wordfile --------
    >/L9"Python" Line Comment = # Block Escape Char = \ File Extensions = PY PYC
    >/Indent Strings = ":"
    >/Block Comment On = """
    >/Block Comment Off = """
    >/Function String 1 = "%[ ,^t]++def[ ]+^([a-zA-Z0-9_]+*^):"
    >/Function String 2 = "%[ ,^t]++^(##[ a-zA-Z0-9_]+*^)##"
    >/Function String 3 = "%[ ,^t]++^(class[ ]+[a-zA-Z0-9_]+*^):"
    >/Delimiters = []{}()<>='.,:+
    >------ snip ------------
    >
    >hth,
    >tlviewer
    >

    >> > function list) and ctags jumping to symbol definition). You'll find
    >> > it at www.ultraedit.com. I can't recommend anything for the form
    >> > designer but following the other poster's advice I'm now looking at
    >> > wxglade.

    That's very nice. I'm now using it.

    --
    Ian Parker

    Ian Parker, Jun 14, 2004
  11. Lothar Scholz wrote:

    >> What I consider critical, are a popdown listing of all my functions,
    >> colored syntax printing, and a right-click 'definition' context menu
    >> that will hop you to the spot where that keyword is defined

    > The problem is that you need more then file level scope for this. For
    > example the information about all projects and runtime files must be
    > keept in memory.

    Zeus for Windows can do this:

    http://www.zeusedit.com/lookmain.html

    If you create a Zeus project/workspace, add your source files
    to the workspace, the editor automatically manages the creation
    and update of the ctags information. This information is then
    used for code-completion, intellisensing and keyword searching.

    Jussi Jumppanen
    Author of: Zeus for Windows (All new version 3.92 out now)
    "The C/C++, Cobol, Java, HTML, Python, PHP, Perl programmer's editor"
    Home Page: http://www.zeusedit.com

    Jussi Jumppanen, Jun 14, 2004
  12. Am Sun, 13 Jun 2004 00:46:34 -0700 schrieb Kamilche:

    > I love Python, but I'm less than in love with IDLE. It's OK, but it
    > really doesn't have enough capabilities.
    >
    > What I consider critical, are a popdown listing of all my functions,
    > colored syntax printing, and a right-click 'definition' context menu
    > that will hop you to the spot where that keyword is defined, if
    > possible. Everything else I could learn to do without, but these
    > features keep me hoping for a better IDE for Python.
    >
    > I'm used to the Microsoft Visual C++ debugger, and though tooltip
    > variable debugging and intellisense were nice, they broke often enough
    > that you couldn't rely on them anyway, so I don't really need those
    > features.

    I use XEmacs but it is more an editor than an IDE.

    > I would also like the ability to create application 'forms' visually.
    > I'm on a Windows XP machine.

    Maybe this helps you:
    http://gladewin32.sourceforge.net/

    Regards,
    Thomas

    Thomas Guettler, Jun 14, 2004
  13. Kamilche

    Fuzzyman Guest

    Grégoire Dooms <> wrote in message news:<40cc1b05$0$41764$>...
    > Kamilche wrote:
    > > I love Python, but I'm less than in love with IDLE. It's OK, but it
    > > really doesn't have enough capabilities.
    > >
    > > What I consider critical, are a popdown listing of all my functions,
    > > colored syntax printing, and a right-click 'definition' context menu
    > > that will hop you to the spot where that keyword is defined, if
    > > possible. Everything else I could learn to do without, but these
    > > features keep me hoping for a better IDE for Python.
    > >
    > > I'm used to the Microsoft Visual C++ debugger, and though tooltip
    > > variable debugging and intellisense were nice, they broke often enough
    > > that you couldn't rely on them anyway, so I don't really need those
    > > features.
    > >
    > > I would also like the ability to create application 'forms' visually.
    > > I'm on a Windows XP machine.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions on what I should install next?

    > This patch to IDLE improves it a bit:
    > http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=906702&group_id=5470&atid=305470
    >
    > It adds among other things the pop-down function list.
    > It's a little cumbersome to apply but the result is quite good.
    > I've been using it for a few days and I'm quite happy with it.
    > I may provide a patch against python 2.3.3 or another version if someone
    > is interrested.
    >
    > If you are interresed, I made a smaller patch adding the qualified name
    > autocompletion (module.<Alt-/>functions). But the former patch does it
    > better (it even supports filename autocompletion).

    This looks *very* interesting.
    How do you apply a patch like this ?

    Regards,

    Fuzzy

    Fuzzyman, Jun 14, 2004
  14. >> I like UE too, but does its syntax coloring support Python's triple
    qutes? I
    >> couldn't get it to work.
    >>/Block Comment On = """
    >>/Block Comment Off = """
    >> That's very nice. I'm now using it.

    It doesn't work for me with the triple quotes. Only the first
    line turns green, all other remain without beeing marked as
    comment, both in Ultra Edit 9.00 and 10.2a .
    Does it _really_ work ok with the triple quotes?
    What could be the reason it doesn't work for me?

    Claudio

    Claudio Grondi, Jun 16, 2004