Good Ruby Cross-platform GUI toolkit

Jimmie Houchin

I've seen this pop up a couple of times while reading c.l.r.

In the benchmark thread Austin Ziegler says
"I'd argue that Ruby's speed is secondary to the lack of a good
cross-platform GUI kit."

I've seen similar comments with regard to GUI in other threads.

I am curious to know what is desired here in this and other comments.
What kind of GUI toolkit?

Are you talking about something like Python's anygui, which is a Python api
which maps methods and binds to a gui of the users choice? (within reason)

Are Ruby's bindings to the plethora of gui toolkits lacking in some respect?

Or are you wanting Ruby to have its own tightly bound gui toolkit like Tk for
TCL? Or like Squeak's is to itself? Actually Squeak pretty much takes ownership
of an OS window or framebuffer and draws what it wants. And that depends on
whether your using MVC, Morphic, or the newly developing Tweak. So the
appearance of the gui is whatever you want.

Personally, I like the later. I am a Squeak fan. I like the idea of the language
have the opportunity to bind tightly to a gui. If Ruby had the option to handle
gui as easily as Squeak, that would be sweet. Tweak for Ruby. Tweak in Ruby. :)

But back to the Ruby community.

What is it that y'all are hankerin' for? :)

Jimmie
who's off to read Pickaxe2 :)

Tweak http://tweak.impara.de/
Morphic http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/30
MVC http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1767

jeem

Speaking just for myself, I want a toolkit that is

1. Rubyesqe in its api. (Uses blocks for events, no integer ids for
controls, etc.)
2. Attractive on all three major platforms: X, Windows, and OS X.
3. Doesn't require X to run on OS X.

lypanov

qtruby4 in the coming 6 months
if anyone wants to speed the process
up feel free to fund me or richard ;)

Alex

Jason Foreman

Speaking just for myself, I want a toolkit that is
=20
1. Rubyesqe in its api. (Uses blocks for events, no integer ids for
controls, etc.)
2. Attractive on all three major platforms: X, Windows, and OS X.
3. Doesn't require X to run on OS X.
=20
=20

4. Has a decent Grid/Table widget

I would write my gui in Java Swing if only JRuby wasn't so slow. I've
been unsuccessful in evaluating any of the other available gui
toolkits, libraries, platforms, frameworks, whatever you want to call
them.

This is currently my #1 annoyance about Ruby.

Jason