Good Ruby Cross-platform GUI toolkit

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Jimmie Houchin, Jun 16, 2005.

  1. I've seen this pop up a couple of times while reading c.l.r.

    In the benchmark thread Austin Ziegler says
    "I'd argue that Ruby's speed is secondary to the lack of a good
    cross-platform GUI kit."

    I've seen similar comments with regard to GUI in other threads.

    I am curious to know what is desired here in this and other comments.
    What kind of GUI toolkit?

    Are you talking about something like Python's anygui, which is a Python api
    which maps methods and binds to a gui of the users choice? (within reason)

    Are Ruby's bindings to the plethora of gui toolkits lacking in some respect?

    Or are you wanting Ruby to have its own tightly bound gui toolkit like Tk for
    TCL? Or like Squeak's is to itself? Actually Squeak pretty much takes ownership
    of an OS window or framebuffer and draws what it wants. And that depends on
    whether your using MVC, Morphic, or the newly developing Tweak. So the
    appearance of the gui is whatever you want.

    Personally, I like the later. I am a Squeak fan. I like the idea of the language
    have the opportunity to bind tightly to a gui. If Ruby had the option to handle
    gui as easily as Squeak, that would be sweet. Tweak for Ruby. Tweak in Ruby. :)

    But back to the Ruby community.

    What is it that y'all are hankerin' for? :)

    Jimmie
    who's off to read Pickaxe2 :)

    Tweak http://tweak.impara.de/
    Morphic http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/30
    MVC http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1767
    Jimmie Houchin, Jun 16, 2005

  2. Jimmie Houchin

    jeem Guest

    Speaking just for myself, I want a toolkit that is

    1. Rubyesqe in its api. (Uses blocks for events, no integer ids for
    controls, etc.)
    2. Attractive on all three major platforms: X, Windows, and OS X.
    3. Doesn't require X to run on OS X.
    jeem, Jun 16, 2005

  3. Jimmie Houchin

    lypanov Guest

    qtruby4 in the coming 6 months
    if anyone wants to speed the process
    up feel free to fund me or richard ;)

    Alex
    lypanov, Jun 16, 2005
  4. On 6/16/05, jeem <> wrote:
    > Speaking just for myself, I want a toolkit that is
    >=20
    > 1. Rubyesqe in its api. (Uses blocks for events, no integer ids for
    > controls, etc.)
    > 2. Attractive on all three major platforms: X, Windows, and OS X.
    > 3. Doesn't require X to run on OS X.
    >=20
    >=20

    4. Has a decent Grid/Table widget

    I would write my gui in Java Swing if only JRuby wasn't so slow. I've
    been unsuccessful in evaluating any of the other available gui
    toolkits, libraries, platforms, frameworks, whatever you want to call
    them.

    This is currently my #1 annoyance about Ruby.

    Jason
    Jason Foreman, Jun 16, 2005