Google Summer of Code -- Get Ready for the Proposal Window

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by pat eyler, Mar 14, 2007.

  1. pat eyler

    pat eyler Guest

    Google hasn't announced their final selection yet for mentoring
    organizations, but I'm operating under the assumption that we will be.
    Given that, this is the time for people to start putting together
    proposals for student projects. The window is only about a week long,
    and is opens up in just a couple of days.

    We've got mentoring volunteers from the JRuby, RoR, rubinius, ruby,
    and Xruby communities, so don't feel constrained to any particular
    field. On the other hand, projects that are liable to benefit the
    largest possible group of users are certainly going to get some extra
    karma.

    If you're not a student, but have a great idea, feel free to toss it
    out for discussion. Who knows, maybe someone will pick it up and run
    with it.

    (posted here: http://on-ruby.blogspot.com/2007/03/more-about-soc-and-ruby-get-ready-for.html
    if you'd rather deal with it that way.)

    --
    thanks,
    -pate

    pat eyler, Mar 14, 2007

  2. pat eyler wrote:

    <snip>

    > If you're not a student, but have a great idea, feel free to toss it
    > out for discussion. Who knows, maybe someone will pick it up and run
    > with it.

    Just a couple of idea

    * A 'find' module that's more useful (i.e. options based on the
    command line tool)
    * Bench::Unit (i.e. a more formal benchmark suite)

    Regards,

    Dan

    Daniel Berger, Mar 14, 2007

  3. Daniel Berger wrote:
    > pat eyler wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >

    >> If you're not a student, but have a great idea, feel free to toss it
    >> out for discussion. Who knows, maybe someone will pick it up and run
    >> with it.
    >>

    > Just a couple of idea
    >
    > * A 'find' module that's more useful (i.e. options based on the
    > command line tool)
    > * Bench::Unit (i.e. a more formal benchmark suite)

    Along those lines:

    1. A recorder that will capture a Watir script of a web application as
    someone uses it from IE (or Firewatir/Firefox)
    2. Extend Ruby Inline to accept assembler on gcc-based systems
    (actually, it may already do that)
    3. A built in load tester for Rails applications
    4. A lightweight Ruby interpreter for distributed / embedded processing

    http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Mar 14, 2007
  4. Bret Pettichord, Mar 14, 2007
  5. pat eyler

    Peter Szinek Guest

    > 1. A recorder that will capture a Watir script of a web application as
    > someone uses it from IE (or Firewatir/Firefox)

    +1

    I would be really interested in this, since I am just integrating
    FireWatir support into scRUBYt![1] - so far navigating to the page you
    wish to scrape is described manually, like:

    fetch 'http://www.amazon.com'
    fill_textfield 'field-keywords', 'logitech keyboard'
    choose_option 'url', 'Computers & PC Hardware'
    submit

    #Construct the scraper here
    stuff do
    item_name "Logitech diNovo Edge ( 967685-0403 )"
    price "$169.98"
    end

    OK, also this is thousand times easier than to do it by hand - however,
    if I could record user steps and spit out a script automatically instead
    of writing it by hand, it would be even much more cool!

    Peter

    [1] http://scrubyt.org

    __
    http://www.rubyrailways.com :: Ruby and Web2.0 blog
    http://scrubyt.org :: Ruby web scraping framework
    http://rubykitchensink.ca/ :: The indexed archive of all things Ruby

    Peter Szinek, Mar 14, 2007
  6. On 3/14/07, pat eyler <> wrote:

    > If you're not a student, but have a great idea, feel free to toss it
    > out for discussion. Who knows, maybe someone will pick it up and run
    > with it.

    It would be really neat to combine scintilla and irb to get a
    lightweight drscheme-like environment optimised for iterative,
    interactive development. It would need the following features:

    1. A mathematica-like wrapper around irb, where each command/response
    is an individual gui object, so that it would be easy to select
    individual lines from the history (not essential, but it'd make the
    gui more convenient to use)
    2. The ability to copy an irb line to the scintilla pane
    3. The ability to wipe the irb session and reload it from the
    scintilla pane (this is the main requirement)
    4. (optional) An SDL pane that was specialcased into irb, so that
    people learning ruby could play around with graphics right from the
    start (remembering my BBC Basic days)

    Another option is to write a DrRuby atop the DrScheme engine
    (someone's done a DrOcaml, for instance), but that's probably a lot
    harder.

    martin

    Martin DeMello, Mar 14, 2007
  7. On Mar 13, 2007, at 8:47 PM, pat eyler wrote:

    > If you're not a student, but have a great idea, feel free to toss it
    > out for discussion. Who knows, maybe someone will pick it up and run
    > with it.

    I think Event Machine is very ripe ground for Summer of Code
    projects. It's already one of the coolest libraries out there for
    Ruby and the team has a lot of great ideas for making it even better.

    One of their ideas is to build every protocol under the sun for it,
    so coders could just use EventMachine::HTTP or EventMachine::Telnet
    instead of having to work with the low-level plumbing. There's even
    been mention of getting DRb running on top of EventMachine, which
    would likely make it quite a bit more robust and scalable.

    The team also has interest in providing mid-level protocol building
    frameworks. This would make it easier to add additional protocols.
    There are lots of interesting ideas to explore along this path to:
    protocol parser generators, DSLs for defining protocols, callback
    systems for reacting to protocol events, or even just generic event
    loops.

    This project is very under loved and there's no reason it couldn't
    become the huge success POE is for Perl or Twisted is for Python. If
    you're remotely interested in networking, I say jump on their mailing
    list and bounce some ideas off of them.

    James Edward Gray II

    James Edward Gray II, Mar 14, 2007
  8. pat eyler

    hemant Guest

    On 3/14/07, James Edward Gray II <> wrote:
    > On Mar 13, 2007, at 8:47 PM, pat eyler wrote:
    >
    > > If you're not a student, but have a great idea, feel free to toss it
    > > out for discussion. Who knows, maybe someone will pick it up and run
    > > with it.

    > I think Event Machine is very ripe ground for Summer of Code
    > projects. It's already one of the coolest libraries out there for
    > Ruby and the team has a lot of great ideas for making it even better.
    >
    > One of their ideas is to build every protocol under the sun for it,
    > so coders could just use EventMachine::HTTP or EventMachine::Telnet
    > instead of having to work with the low-level plumbing. There's even
    > been mention of getting DRb running on top of EventMachine, which
    > would likely make it quite a bit more robust and scalable.
    >
    > The team also has interest in providing mid-level protocol building
    > frameworks. This would make it easier to add additional protocols.
    > There are lots of interesting ideas to explore along this path to:
    > protocol parser generators, DSLs for defining protocols, callback
    > systems for reacting to protocol events, or even just generic event
    > loops.
    >
    > This project is very under loved and there's no reason it couldn't
    > become the huge success POE is for Perl or Twisted is for Python. If
    > you're remotely interested in networking, I say jump on their mailing
    > list and bounce some ideas off of them.

    +1 James, Francis

    --
    gnufied
    -----------

    hemant, Mar 14, 2007
  9. Martin DeMello wrote:
    > On 3/14/07, pat eyler <> wrote:
    >>
    >> If you're not a student, but have a great idea, feel free to toss it
    >> out for discussion. Who knows, maybe someone will pick it up and run
    >> with it.

    > It would be really neat to combine scintilla and irb to get a
    > lightweight drscheme-like environment optimised for iterative,
    > interactive development. It would need the following features:
    >
    > 1. A mathematica-like wrapper around irb, where each command/response
    > is an individual gui object, so that it would be easy to select
    > individual lines from the history (not essential, but it'd make the
    > gui more convenient to use)
    > 2. The ability to copy an irb line to the scintilla pane
    > 3. The ability to wipe the irb session and reload it from the
    > scintilla pane (this is the main requirement)
    > 4. (optional) An SDL pane that was specialcased into irb, so that
    > people learning ruby could play around with graphics right from the
    > start (remembering my BBC Basic days)
    >
    > Another option is to write a DrRuby atop the DrScheme engine
    > (someone's done a DrOcaml, for instance), but that's probably a lot
    > harder.
    >
    > martin

    Scite is a bit like that, at least the version shipped with the Windows
    One-Click Installer. A DrRuby would be spectacular, though!

    Another thing I'd like to see come out of Google Summer of Code would be
    (and this is somewhat language-independent) some tools like those
    described in "Generative Programming" -- tools that work at the
    syntactic and semantic level rather than at the surface syntax level.
    There are some core concepts just about all "modern" languages have --
    integer and floating point and string data types, regular expressions,
    arrays and hashes, classes and objects and methods. A tool that could
    manipulate a graphical version of a program, such as a parse tree, and
    then reconstruct the source code from that is something I'd use daily.

    http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Mar 14, 2007
  10. pat eyler

    Rich Morin Guest

    At 12:14 AM +0900 3/15/07, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
    > Another thing I'd like to see come out of Google Summer of Code
    > would be (and this is somewhat language-independent) some tools
    > like those described in "Generative Programming" -- tools that
    > work at the syntactic and semantic level rather than at the
    > surface syntax level. There are some core concepts just about
    > all "modern" languages have -- integer and floating point and
    > string data types, regular expressions, arrays and hashes,
    > classes and objects and methods. A tool that could manipulate a
    > graphical version of a program, such as a parse tree, and then
    > reconstruct the source code from that is something I'd use daily.

    On a similar note, I'd like to see someone look into creating an
    abstract description format (e.g., in XML or YAML) for use by the
    dozens of "documentation generators" I see listed on Wikipedia:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_documentation_generators

    Most of these programs parse one or more languages, then present the
    result in HTML (etc). Almost none of them are willing to output the
    collected information in a machine-friendly format, let alone accept
    such information from another source.

    -r
    --
    http://www.cfcl.com/rdm Rich Morin
    http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume

    Rich Morin, Mar 14, 2007
  11. In theory, rdoc is supposed to output XML, but i've never gotten it to
    work right...

    --
    http://www.jeremymcanally.com/

    My free Ruby e-book:

    My blogs:
    http://www.mrneighborly.com/
    http://www.rubyinpractice.com/

    Jeremy McAnally, Mar 14, 2007
  12. On Mar 14, 2007, at 1:04 PM, Albert Ng wrote:

    > Nevermind, it's listed as EventMachine in rubyforge, one word... :(

    Sorry, about that, I should have included the link to RubyForge:

    http://rubyforge.org/projects/eventmachine/

    James Edward Gray II

    James Edward Gray II, Mar 14, 2007
  13. On 3/14/07, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <> wrote:
    > Scite is a bit like that, at least the version shipped with the Windows
    > One-Click Installer. A DrRuby would be spectacular, though!

    Scite misses out what I consider the core, practically raison d'etre
    feature - the ability to click a button and start a clean IRB session
    which autoloads the program you're typing into the editor. Let's say,
    for instance, that I'm developing some complicated mathematical
    algorithm. I can get a bit of it right, click "reload", play about for
    a while in IRB using the functions I've already defined, till I nail
    the next function, then add it to the program and hit 'reload' again.
    This was my favourite DrScheme feature. I think QBasic also allowed
    this to a certain extent, though I could be misremembering (that was a
    very underappreciated IDE, though).

    martin

    Martin DeMello, Mar 14, 2007
  14. I miss this functionality that IDLE has for Python; if any of the GUI
    kits were mature enough, I would be interested in developing it in
    ruby. Sadly, every attempt I've made thus far to make something
    usable hasnt turned out well (I started to do it in FX, but it was
    ugly; Wx wasn't/isn't mature; I guess QT or TK would work but it
    wasn't my first choice...). I started again with wxPython and got
    something working with an SDI interface, but ditched it because I
    didn't want to have to run Python to edit and run Ruby...

    --Jeremy

    Jeremy McAnally, Mar 14, 2007
  15. Martin DeMello wrote:
    > On 3/14/07, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <> wrote:
    >> Scite is a bit like that, at least the version shipped with the Windows
    >> One-Click Installer. A DrRuby would be spectacular, though!

    > Scite misses out what I consider the core, practically raison d'etre
    > feature - the ability to click a button and start a clean IRB session
    > which autoloads the program you're typing into the editor. Let's say,
    > for instance, that I'm developing some complicated mathematical
    > algorithm. I can get a bit of it right, click "reload", play about for
    > a while in IRB using the functions I've already defined, till I nail
    > the next function, then add it to the program and hit 'reload' again.
    > This was my favourite DrScheme feature. I think QBasic also allowed
    > this to a certain extent, though I could be misremembering (that was a
    > very underappreciated IDE, though).
    >
    > martin

    Does your vision include a button to "add it to the program" too? That
    is, a button (or other feature) to copy the text of the new function
    into a buffer so it can be easily pasted into the source, without having
    to edit out irb prompts?

    Joel VanderWerf, Mar 15, 2007
  16. Re: Google Summer of Code -- Get Ready for the Proposal Wind

    I'm new to Ruby and I've been researching to create a desktop app, and
    what I've found so far is that there are many GUIs but each of them has
    it's own way of doing things. I read some thread proposing a unified
    "ruby-like" framework for GUI development, where the developer could
    swap easily the GUI he wants to use (GTK, FOX, QT...) without changing
    the application. This could be a good project and it will foster the
    creation of more ruby desktop apps. Who knows, may be someone could
    develop a rails-like stuff for desktop apps.

    Nando Sanchez, Mar 15, 2007
  17. pat eyler

    SonOfLilit Guest

    Re: Google Summer of Code -- Get Ready for the Proposal Wind

    Indeed.

    Except that many tried and failed. Me included.

    I remember that in my research I found that the RIDE people dabbled in
    it as a sister project (IIRC).

    You can have a look there.

    Unfortunately, GUI APIs are hard to get right. Very hard. I've done a
    GUI toolkit for myself in uby lately (some exploratory programming,
    prototyping a few ideas of mine) and I've spent more time thinking up
    the API than coding.

    And this was a throw-away prototype.

    Which only I would ever use.

    In the end I wanted to add a critical feature that was next on the
    milestone list and found that I made such a fatal mistake in the API
    that re-coding everything would be almost as easy as fixing everything
    (I started with squares only, thinking that it'd be simple to modify
    it to use other shapes, but used that assumption everywhere in the
    code. I knew that fixing it everywhere would result in much more bugs
    than good).

    It's hard.

    But you can try, and I'll look forward to hearing the results.

    Aur

    SonOfLilit, Mar 15, 2007
  18. On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 04:48:45AM +0900, Tanner Burson wrote:
    [...]
    > Ruby GUI toolkits have their fair share of issues. The general method to
    > dodging this is to distribute your application as a standalone web
    > application. My idea was to augment this with a "wrapper" GUI generator for
    > each of the big OS's. This GUI would be a simple, OS specific window, that
    > displayed the page. It would include a few simple menu choices, exit,
    > about, help, and provide ruby based callbacks to direct the application to
    > the proper page for each. This probably sounds very convoluted, and I'm
    > probably explaining it poorly. But if any student out there is interested,
    > I'd be willing to give a more thorough explanation.

    [...]

    I had a sort of similar idea based on XULrunner. It would be really nice to
    be able to develop a desktop application with Rails and Firefox and deliver
    it as executables for Mac, Windows, or Linux using XULrunner as a frontend.
    It requires a few things to make it work, though:

    1) app packaging for each platform
    2) an extension to XULrunner to be able to run the ruby interpreter
    directly (it shouldn't be two processes)
    3) an URL handler extension to XULrunner so that URLs can be served
    in-process without opening a network port, even one bound to localhost
    4) the Ruby side of that URL handler
    5) EXTRA CREDIT: some minimal obfuscation/encryption/compression for the
    Ruby code to make pointy-haired bosses happier

    > ===Tanner Burson===

    --Greg

    Gregory Seidman, Mar 15, 2007
  19. On 14 mar, 05:10, Peter Szinek <> wrote:
    > > 1. A recorder that will capture a Watir script of a web application as
    > > someone uses it from IE (or Firewatir/Firefox)

    > +1
    >
    > I would be really interested in this, since I am just integrating
    > FireWatir support into scRUBYt![1] - so far navigating to the page you
    > wish to scrape is described manually, like:
    >
    > fetch 'http://www.amazon.com'
    > fill_textfield 'field-keywords', 'logitech keyboard'
    > choose_option 'url', 'Computers & PC Hardware'
    > submit
    >
    > #Construct the scraper here
    > stuff do
    > item_name "Logitech diNovo Edge ( 967685-0403 )"
    > price "$169.98"
    > end
    >
    > OK, also this is thousand times easier than to do it by hand - however,
    > if I could record user steps and spit out a script automatically instead
    > of writing it by hand, it would be even much more cool!

    Hi!

    I really like this idea and I would be willing to do something related
    to that in the Google SoC. There's one thing though: although I have
    some good background in computing, I have close to no experience in
    Ruby and web-related development. Is there anything already done
    related to recording that I could base my work on? I've heard there's
    something like that already working in Perl.

    Also, I don't know how ambitious a project like this would be for
    someone with my experience, so if anyone has a better idea of how
    difficult it is please share. What are the skills I would have to
    learn? What tools? If it's too difficult to do it all on my own, what
    would be a reasonable subset of features I could proppose to implement
    and that are more urgently needed by the community?

    Thanks a lot!

    Helder

    Helder Ribeiro, Mar 22, 2007
  20. pat eyler

    Chad Wilson Guest

    Re: Google Summer of Code -- Get Ready for the Proposal Wind

    How about a Ruby plug-in for web browsers? With this, I could put away
    the JavaScript and do more with Ruby.

    I am not a student, and certainly lack any requisite skill to accomplish
    such a project.

    -w

    Chad Wilson, Mar 22, 2007