GWT vs JSF vs ZK vs REST+JS

carmelo

Hi everybody,
I'm planning to develop a web based ERP, which should be full-ajax and
with desktop-like UI. It will be a data-entry & data-report
application. For developing it I'm considering all technologies.

- GWT: I saw that with GWT Designer you could create cool UIs, but
databinding seems to be too complex

- JSF: Netbeans no longer supports the visual web editor

- ZK: supports databinding in a relatively easy way, and has got an
Eclipse-based visual editor

- Some people talk about REST + javascript as a winning choice

I'd like to have your opinion about what could be the right choice.

Thank you very much in advance!

Lew

I'm planning to develop a web based ERP, which should be full-ajax [sic] and
with desktop-like UI. It will be a data-entry& data-report
application. For developing it I'm considering all technologies.

- GWT: I saw that with GWT Designer you could create cool UIs, but
databinding seems to be too complex

- JSF: Netbeans no longer supports the visual web editor
- ZK: supports databinding in a relatively easy way, and has got an
Eclipse-based visual editor

- Some people talk about REST + javascript [sic] as a winning choice

I'd like to have your opinion about what could be the right choice.

Take a look at Echo2, also.

jlp

Le 22/11/2010 14:09, Lew a écrit :
I'm planning to develop a web based ERP, which should be full-ajax
[sic] and
with desktop-like UI. It will be a data-entry& data-report
application. For developing it I'm considering all technologies.

- GWT: I saw that with GWT Designer you could create cool UIs, but
databinding seems to be too complex

- JSF: Netbeans no longer supports the visual web editor
- ZK: supports databinding in a relatively easy way, and has got an
Eclipse-based visual editor

- Some people talk about REST + javascript [sic] as a winning choice

I'd like to have your opinion about what could be the right choice.

Take a look at Echo2, also.
Like Echo2, there is also Wicket => wicket.apache.org

Arne Vajhøj

I'm planning to develop a web based ERP, which should be full-ajax and
with desktop-like UI. It will be a data-entry& data-report
application. For developing it I'm considering all technologies.

- GWT: I saw that with GWT Designer you could create cool UIs, but
databinding seems to be too complex

- JSF: Netbeans no longer supports the visual web editor

You do not want to use WYSIWYG for creating JSF web apps
anyway.
- ZK: supports databinding in a relatively easy way, and has got an
Eclipse-based visual editor

- Some people talk about REST + javascript as a winning choice

I'd like to have your opinion about what could be the right choice.

I would say that:
- if you want a traditional web app with AJAX functionality and
you know Java, then JSF with Richfaces is a very good choice
- if you want to write an app that run client side in the browser
then you should pick GWT or Flex
- if you have plenty of resources with standard skills
the jQuery possible with something on top of it plus
REST services could be a good solution

(I don't know ZK)

Arne

AnAnAsbAnAnAshAkAr

I'd like to have your opinion about what could be the right choice.

I am currently looking at vaadin (vaadin.com) which is a GWT based UI
framework which supports some layout similarly to Swing and AWT. In my
opinion it is also not a real dirt hack to do the databinding with it.

greeZ Mike

carmelo

I am currently looking at vaadin (vaadin.com) which is a GWT based UI
framework which supports some layout similarly to Swing and AWT. In my
opinion it is also not a real dirt hack to do the databinding with it.

greeZ Mike

Mike, would you suggest Vaadin instead of Ext-GWT or other GWT
frameworks?
The GWT Designer is powerful for creating UIs, but it lacks
databinding. Is it easily possible to bind data to components with
Vaadin?

carmelo

What do you think about GWT vs JSF? What do you suggest for developing
a web-based full-ajax ERP with desktop-like UI?

carmelo

What do you suggest for developing a web-based full-ajax ERP with desktop-like UI?
Swing. Seriously.

Cheers,
Alessio

Thank you for your answer Alessio. How would you achieve this with
Swing??

Ciao e grazie!

carmelo

Java Web Start:
I don't like JWS, I used it on a project and was really really slow on
remote db connections...

Arne Vajhøj

I don't like JWS, I used it on a project and was really really slow on
remote db connections...

Java code running client side connecting to a database
running server side is in most case very problematic from
a security perspective.

Arne

Tom Anderson

I don't like JWS, I used it on a project and was really really slow on
remote db connections...

So don't make remote DB connections. Are you planning to make remote DB
connections from your GWT pages? No, you make web-friendly HTTP
connections to the app server, and have the app server talk to the
database. The same applies to apps written with any technology, including
JWS.

Now, i admit that this is somewhere where JWS may actually lag behind the
compile-to-javascript frameworks; GWT has some quite carefully thought
out, although still hairy, client-server databinding stuff. I don't know
of anything in pure java which specifically addresses that need - you have
to partition things with RMI or whatever by hand.

tom

Tom Anderson

Or a good old applet.

But unless it is integrated with the web page, then it is more an app
deployed over the web than a web app.

I'd say the same about GWT and friends. A GWT screen is not a web page; a
GWT app is not a web site. Both are done with HTML and javascript, but
there is more to being a website than the implementation technology - GWT
is not hypertext, so it's not a web page.

tom

Arne Vajhøj

I'd say the same about GWT and friends. A GWT screen is not a web page;
a GWT app is not a web site. Both are done with HTML and javascript, but
there is more to being a website than the implementation technology -
GWT is not hypertext, so it's not a web page.

web app = HTML + CSS + JS

Runtime GWT is a web app.

Source code wise it is more similar to applet and Flash/Flex.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

For RIAs what do you think could be a fast and stable solution, GWT or
REST+JS?

My expectation would be that:
- GWT solution will contain slightly fewer bugs due to compiler checks
- you will find more resources with skills in manual JS or a common
JS framework like jQuery than in GWT

Arne

Tom Anderson

web app = HTML + CSS + JS

Runtime GWT is a web app.

If you define it that way, then yes. But i don't see why that's a useful
definition - it doesn't include every kind of app you can deliver over the
web, and it does include a lot of apps which aren't hypertext.

I realise that this definition is popular, even though it isn't useful.
That doesn't seem to be a good reason to use it.

tom