Hallo

japhethngura

This is to inform all the members that I have now joined the
discussion group. Let us make it as productive as possible.

Lew Pitcher

This is to inform all the members that I have now joined the
discussion group.

And this is important in what way?
Let us make it as productive as possible.

Agreed.

So, first off, take note that there is no "final authority" here. This
is a discussion group, not a management meeting.
And, we discuss the development of code in the C programming language.

So, what are you willing to contribute to the discussion?

jellybean stonerfish

This is to inform all the members that I have now joined the discussion
group. Let us make it as productive as possible.

Let the flames begin.

Jens Stueckelberger

This is to inform all the members that I have now joined the discussion
group.

I am sure to remember vividly for the rest of my days exactly
where I was when this momentous event took place.

Ian Collins

Jens said:
I am sure to remember vividly for the rest of my days exactly
where I was when this momentous event took place.

Why so cynical? If you haven't got any worthwhile to say, don't post.

Jens Stueckelberger

Why so cynical? If you haven't got any worthwhile to say, don't post.

Relax, buddy; it's Friday (at least where I am) and the original
message was most amusing.

Kenny McCormack

Why so cynical? If you haven't got any worthwhile to say, don't post.

That's not the CLC way. If people didn't post when they had nothing
worthwhile to say, there'd be no:

Off topic. Not portable. Cant discuss it here. Blah, blah, blah.

posts. And then what would we do for fun?

CBFalconer

Ian said:
Why so cynical? If you haven't got any worthwhile to say, don't
post.

What! And break tradition? Look, we have a possible victim here,
with a perfectly usable English language, but lack of practice in
English phraseology. Don't miss any opportunity to be offensive.

Some useful references about C:
<http://c-faq.com/> (C-faq)
<http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1256.pdf> (C99)
<http://cbfalconer.home.att.net/download/n869_txt.bz2> (pre-C99)
<http://www.dinkumware.com/c99.aspx> (C-library}
<http://clc-wiki.net/wiki/C_community:comp.lang.c:Introduction>

Antoninus Twink

Look, we have a possible victim here, with a perfectly usable English
language, but lack of practice in English phraseology. Don't miss any
opportunity to be offensive.

Presumably intended as some sort of humor, but sadly it's all too true.

The reality is that very few new posters survive for more than a few
days before they decide they've had enough and quit - chewed up and spat
out by the clc regulars.

Let's face it, if you're an intelligent, competent technical type with a
genuine C-related question, why in the hell would you put up with the
mix of people offensively telling you to go away, people patronizing
you, people deliberately misinterpreting your words for their own
amusement, and all the other nasty and unhelpful kinds of response
typically generated by the non-"trolls" in this group?

Kenny McCormack

Antoninus Twink said:
Let's face it, if you're an intelligent, competent technical type with a
genuine C-related question, why in the hell would you put up with the
mix of people offensively telling you to go away, people patronizing
you, people deliberately misinterpreting your words for their own
amusement, and all the other nasty and unhelpful kinds of response
typically generated by the non-"trolls" in this group?

For many (most?) of them, it's the only social life they will ever have.

Tinkertim

That's not the CLC way. If people didn't post when they had nothing
worthwhile to say, there'd be no:

Off topic. Not portable. Cant discuss it here. Blah, blah, blah.

posts. And then what would we do for fun?

Something involving a duck and a hose, most likely.

werwolf

That's not the CLC way. šIf people didn't post when they had nothing
worthwhile to say, there'd be no:

š š Off topic. šNot portable. šCant discuss it here. šBlah, blah, blah.

posts. šAnd then what would we do for fun?

You are so funny!

Nick Keighley

The reality is that very few new posters survive [on clc] for more than a few
days before they decide they've had enough and quit - chewed up and spat
out by the clc regulars.

Let's face it, if you're an intelligent, competent technical type with a
genuine C-related question, why in the hell would you put up with the
mix of people offensively telling you to go away, people patronizing
you, people deliberately misinterpreting your words for their own
amusement, and all the other nasty and unhelpful kinds of response
typically generated by the non-"trolls" in this group?

speaking personnally, when I was a relative newbie I found
clc a very useful resource. I still occaisonally learn something.

To newbies: take a look at the links Chuck posted. Especially
the comp.lang.c FAQ. Try to confine your questions to the C language
and its standard library. If you are told you are off-topic try
to find a better news group to post your question to (sometimes
the person who tells you you are off-topic suggests a better place to
post to). If you have a problem with C code try to post a short
example
that illustrates your problem.

Happy programming

--
Nick Keighley

"Half-assed programming was a time-filler that, like knitting,
must date to the beginning of human experience."
"A Fire Upon The Deep" by Verne Vinge

user923005

[...]

I have found that the value returned from correction is a direct
function of the one receiving instruction's innate ability.

It reminds me of two proverbs:
(Proverbs 17:10) A rebuke works deeper in one having understanding
than striking a stupid one a hundred times.
(Proverbs 9:8) Do not reprove a ridiculer, that he may not hate you.
Give a reproof to a wise person and he will love you.

If you tell someone a better way to do things and they pop a cork,
then perhaps they have categorized themselves according to the above
classification.