Have I been Hacked???????

David Carter

Hello
I switched my computer on today and found that a new login of "ASP.net" had
been added, it was a full priviledge account.
Can anyone tell me what has happened?
I have no idea what ASP is so I haven't used it.
Thanks
Dave

Juan T. Llibre

Did you, or anybody, install the .NET Framework
on the computer ?

That will create a "Domain\ASPNET" account
or a "ComputerName\ASPNET" account.

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
===========

David Carter

Juan
Thanks for the reply.
Net framework is installed. I don't remember installing it but I have just
reformatted my computer. Would that install it and can I remove it safely
using the Add/Remove programs?
Dave

Juan T. Llibre

If you reformatted the computer, but haven't
installed the .Net Framework after that,
there's no reason for the "ComputerName\ASPNET"
account to be present.

A solution, in case that account is present, and you haven't
installed the .Net Framework in the newly-reformatted drive,
is to delete that account, and install a firewall.

You could also deny access to
remote logins for your computer.

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
===========

Sylvain Lafontaine

ASP.NET with a "." and not ASPNET ?

Sure, you have been hacked. There is a user account with the name ASPNET
that come with the installation of the .NET Framework but it's not ASP.NET
and, also, it doesn't have Local logon permission or Terminal Server logon
permission; so you shouldn't see it at the logon page.

(To see the permissions for accounts on WinXP, open "Local Security Setting"
from the Administrative Tools, then Local Policies --> User Rights
Assignment. You will see that ASPNET account (if it's on your machine) is
not part of "Log on locally" group and is part of the "Deny logon locally"
and "Deny logon through Terminal Services" group.)

S. L.

Kevin Spencer

Although I can agree with the substance of your information, I think it's
way premature to say "Sure, you've been hacked." The fellow hasn't provided
enough information to come to that conclusion. Non-programmers do stuff to
themselves daily that they have no idea how or even if they did.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP