Help - Am I going down the garden path?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Keith Chadwick, Nov 28, 2004.

  1. Couple of questions for all of you.

    My web pages are currently using my web services to fetch all of there data
    as xml. The xml is placed in a MSXM4 object then rendered client side with
    xslt. This works fine, now getting the data back.

    I would like to update the client side xml with the changed values from the
    form, easy enough. Then send that data back to the web service. So here
    are my questions

    1. Can I use the XMLHTTP object in JScript to create a post back to to a web
    service?
    2. If I wish to embed the xml into the XMLHTTP.send method call do I need to
    start using soap?
    3. If I am using soap do I need to create a proxy of the webservice in order
    for the WSDL to be created?
    4. If I am using soap, can I embed a document that the user has requested to
    be updated. Can this be placed within the soap packet along with other xml?

    Not looking for how you do it simply want to find out if I am on the right
    path or not with some links. Been reading all weekend both books and
    on-line and nothing seems to give a clear answer or example. The reason I
    am using web services to post my data is because at a later date the
    services will be made available to 3rd party vendors, right once use many
    idea!

    Any thoughts would be appreciated.

    Cheers
    Keith

    PS: Running .NET framework 1.1 on Win2k

    Keith Chadwick, Nov 28, 2004

  2. Keith Chadwick

    Dan Rogers Guest

    Hi Keith,

    Answers in-line:

    >1. Can I use the XMLHTTP object in JScript to create a post back to to a

    web
    >service?

    Yes. You have to carefully craft the response so that it is consumable by
    the method you expose as an ASP.net web service, but you can use pure XML
    on the client.

    >2. If I wish to embed the xml into the XMLHTTP.send method call do I need

    >start using soap?

    In general, yes. SOAP is required for the ASP.net web service
    infrastructure to work.

    >3. If I am using soap do I need to create a proxy of the webservice in

    order
    >for the WSDL to be created?

    No. The WSDL is a server side thing and not related to the web service
    caller code - but it is used to create a caller-side proxy by certain tools.

    >4. If I am using soap, can I embed a document that the user has requested

    >be updated. Can this be placed within the soap packet along with other

    xml?

    The SOAP message needs to map directly to the method requirements on the
    service side. You will need to also comply with SOAP rules - you can add
    XML in headers, and you can have a single element child of Body.

    I hope this helps.

    Dan Rogers, Nov 29, 2004

  3. Thanks Dan,

    After two days of exhaustive struggling I have finally managed to build the
    soap package and submit it. Like anything it is easy once you do it but
    getting the first one figured out can be a real nightmare.

    I have put another post on the newsgroup regarding dealing with the
    submitted xml. I hope you or someone respond to it soon.

    cheers
    Keith

    Keith Chadwick, Nov 29, 2004